British Speedway Forum

There are rumours flying around about a number of Aussie riders having visa problems again; does anyone have any actual facts yet.

There are rumours flying around about a number of Aussie riders having visa problems again; does anyone have any actual facts yet.

As mentioned on some other 'team' threads, I believe this has originated from a Paul Burbidge (www.speedwaygp.com) tweet from Kurri Kurri after a conversation with Jason Doyle, in which Doyley apparently said that his application had been returned/refused!!??

No other 'facts' have emerged to date!!

Edited by Skidder1

There's quite a speedway gathering at the ice hockey on a Saturday night in Glasgow , and the names of Doyle , Tungate and Davies were mentioned in relation to this . Though how an established rider of Doyle's calibre has problems is beyond me .

There's quite a speedway gathering at the ice hockey on a Saturday night in Glasgow , and the names of Doyle , Tungate and Davies were mentioned in relation to this . Though how an established rider of Doyle's calibre has problems is beyond me .

agree given the difficulties with Masters and Campton last year you would think Professional sportsmen would be on top of the situation.

Obviously we know that the laws changes last year which caught out some riders, including Sam Masters and Mason Campton, so you would assume that lessons would have been learned and no-one would be caught out by failing to get the extension applied for this time around.

However, it was mentioned during Sam Masters appeal process that both Alex Davies and Jason Doyle had received visas for 2013 despite being in exactly the same situation as Sam. I wonder if it's possible that they have now had their application for a visa extension refused because their current visas were incorrectly provided.

Giving the amount of riders who seem to be having difficulties with their visas,its fair to say that theres every chance certain teams will change before March.But if you sign riders who need visas your taking a chance that their visas will be refused,more homework needed in certain clubs.

Wasnt Alex Davies born over here

Yes, Alex was born in the UK but doesn't qualify for a British passport meaning that he requires a visa to compete here.

Why doesn't he qualify for a British passport if his birth certificate says he was born here surely he can get one. Lets face it if you were born kn Timbuktu you probably qualify.

Edited by Triple.H.

Why doesn't he qualify for a British passport if his birth certificate says he was born here surely he can get one. Lets face it if you were born kn Timbuktu you probably qualify.

You can only get a British passport if you are a British citizen and being born in Britain is not the only criteria required to become a British citizen.

If you were born in the UK after 1st January 1983 you only qualify for British citizenship if either of your parents were British citizens or your parents were officially "settled" in the UK. Neither of these were true for Alex.

He applied for a British passport a couple of years ago but was rejected.

Haven't we come a long way in this country. We welcome in anyone from the EU. Who can now work over here, but to anyone from our old Comonwealth, they are now no longer clased as being citizen of our great British Isles. As Queen Victoria would have said "We are not amused"

Well the laws an ass probably the same ass as lots of "British citizens" rode to the airport.

so all these imigrants who come here and have kids.... Their kids are British???

If they don't meet the criteria then its tough really, the same as the ordeal it is to go and work in Australia.

Edited by Arson fire

He probably put in a bad application, so I would imagine it's a case of re-applying. The clubs need to take a lot of responsibility with visa applications in my opinion. they are, after all, the sponsors and it would be partly up to them to prove that Doyle is worthy as well as making sure all the documentation is in order.

You would only qualify if your parents are legally resident of the UK. I don't know his situation, but presumably they weren't.

so all these imigrants who come here and have kids.... Their kids are British???

Yes, if they are settled here then their kids would qualify as citizens.

He probably put in a bad application, so I would imagine it's a case of re-applying. The clubs need to take a lot of responsibility with visa applications in my opinion. they are, after all, the sponsors and it would be partly up to them to prove that Doyle is worthy as well as making sure all the documentation is in order.

You would only qualify if your parents are legally resident of the UK. I don't know his situation, but presumably they weren't.

Yes, if they are settled here then their kids would qualify as citizens.

so my mothers from the Congo, dads from Belgium.... But I'm British??