British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside 9-4-14

I've just noticed Adam Ellis' winning time in heat 7. Joint second fastest time of the night, faster than any of Iverson's wins, equalled only by PK and bettered only by Kenny Bear. Not bad for a rider who only turned 18 in March, and in his second season of speedway !

Now, what was it that people were saying about draft riders being out of their depth ?

Ellis was hugely impressive last night and looked very quick when in front. Both Lewis' were excellent too, Kerr could have had a max.

Fold up programme, don't like it at all, much prefer white background for race card and don't want to be unfolding whole thing to read Buster and Rob's columns ...... people said to me that there wasn't enough room on race card to write changes either ....

A 'fold-up' programme? That's a new one on me. How much do they charge and any chance of a pic?

Its an A2 sheet printed 2 sides folded down to A5

Cheers. and costs how much?

The result did not surprise me as Hammers do not have a good record around Saddlebow Road, people already having a pop at certain riders but i think they need to take note of this heat format, there will be plenty of times when pretty reasonable riders are going to score very lowely because the way they are paired against opposing riders.

Now take Lewis Bridger for example, 1 from three sounds appauling but in his first ride he was against Rory and Kenneth so no shock he failed to beat them, in his second ride he was against Rory again paired with Robert Lambert, and he beat young Rob which is what would be expected, then he lost out to Iversen (no shock) and Porsing and maybe i would have expected him to get a point or two from that race but Porsing also beat Davey in that heat too so he cant be a poor rider.

Had he taken a 4th ride he would have been against Iversen and Bjerre so probably would not have scored anything.

From what little i have seen of Lewis this season i personally think he needs to calm down, he seems to be over riding and almost trying too hard.

Lynn are one of my pre season favourites and last night proves just how hard they will be to beat at home, in fact i would imagine come June or July scores of 60 plus will be quite regular for their home matches.

Bridger jacked it in his first outing, beat a poor starting Lambert in his 2nd ( comfortably), jacked it in his 3rd and was just p155 ass ing around at the back pulling wheelies and doing a bit of show boating, not making any attempt to race. Then to be pulled out of his for a struggling Ben Morley kind of tops it off nicely. The lad had so much talent and potenial as a 16 year old. Where did it go wrong ?

Skidder the new prog is still costing £2.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

Bridger jacked it in his first outing, beat a poor starting Lambert in his 2nd ( comfortably), jacked it in his 3rd and was just p155 ass ing around at the back pulling wheelies and doing a bit of show boating, not making any attempt to race. Then to be pulled out of his for a struggling Ben Morley kind of tops it off nicely. The lad had so much talent and potenial as a 16 year old. Where did it go wrong ?

Skidder the new prog is stilling costing £2.

Thanks Semion!

Is talent at 16 another way of saying "over-hyped" by fans because Lewis has never gone down the Premier Lge route & when you see his rides last night what did you really expect him to score?.

I agree though popping wheelies when at the back is the most annoying thing a rider can do.

For me Bridger is probably the biggest waste of talent I've seen in thirty years of going to speedway. He was scoring double figures for Eastbourne at sixteen and with the right guidance and kit could have been GP standard IMO. But that ship has long since sailed and it's a great shame.

Edited by Bagpuss

Wasn't the switch just tactics though to give Ben and Bridger a 3rd ride and give Ellis the opportunity to score in the easier heats?. Is this not just going to damage Ben's confidence?. Once again we are seeing meetings being rescued by reserves because of under performing main body. Good for Adam's confidence but what's it doing for Ben's? Get rid of Bridger. That would soon wake him up. He just seems to be handed team spots on a plate so how is he going to learn complacency is such an unattractive look .

• Like 1

Completely agree about Morley, not Lakeside's fault but the system should do more for number sevens who partner a strong number six.

Sorry to say, The new system will not work for all the National League newcomers. The cream will rise to the surface and going forward of course there will be casualties. I dont think we can expect anything less. To me, if you get 5/6 riders coming through from the first year, then it will have done its job. Ellis taking the place of Morley, who in turn had taken the place of Bridger is proof in point.

• Like 2

Fold up programme, don't like it at all, much prefer white background for race card and don't want to be unfolding whole thing to read Buster and Rob's columns ...... people said to me that there wasn't enough room on race card to write changes either ....

I agree completely Trees, and for the reasons that you've stated plus I found the paper difficult to write on, it's probably the worst programme that we've had.

I would image in much the same way that some other clubs have done over the years, printing costs are so high these days, that it's possibly an experimental cost cutting exercise, but it's certainly not nice.

what i find quite worrying is that the away number 4 doesn't have his first ride until heat 5, and that is against the home 1 & 5 who have already been out .. so with Lambert at number 4 at home, maybe a change is needed away?

• Like 1

Quite like the prog format tbh, but I agree a white background would be preferable. The scorechart is smaller than it needs to be too, but no room on the racecard?!! You could almost write a novel in all that space lol - or do your friends use crayons? :wink: