British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh (lc) 20/4/13 @ 3pm

Have we no tractor driver?

Think one of the start guys packed in yesterday from what I could see/hear.

Two's company, three's a crowd?

I heard that the spare tractor driver also walked out. :t::cheers:

I heard that the spare tractor driver also walked out. :t::cheers:

And they appeared to have another spare tractor yesterday you couldn't make this up get three tractors and all the drivers walk out if carlsberg done speedway promoting they should stay away from Glasgow.

• Like 1

I assume you mean Wolbert . When did he blow them ? In his first race he spent four laps looking for a way past a rookie American who has hardly scored a point at PL level . His next effort was equally as poor . He did stop in his third race after two laps , but was already a poor last in that one anyway .

We're struggling badly as a team and need a number 1 to be providing points , not excuses why he cant .

Maybe the time is soon approaching when we make either Kauko Nieminen or Magnus Karlsson an offer they can't refuse , whether we can afford it or not

Alternatively instead of spending heavily on importing another overseas rider, they offer Wolbert an advance to sort out his engines.

Prior to yesterday, he has impressed at Ashfield and was certainly a class act at Armadale on Friday.

Having been present yesterday, I'm surprised the Tigeratti on here did not credit Theo with being the only Tiger to lower the colours of both CooK & Masters, which was no mean feat.

Also note that the Danish reserve duo appear exempt from criticism, despite both being ineffective :unsure:

Alternatively instead of spending heavily on importing another overseas rider, they offer Wolbert an advance to sort out his engines.

Prior to yesterday, he has impressed at Ashfield and was certainly a class act at Armadale on Friday.

Having been present yesterday, I'm surprised the Tigeratti on here did not credit Theo with being the only Tiger to lower the colours of both CooK & Masters, which was no mean feat.

Also note that the Danish reserve duo appear exempt from criticism, despite both being ineffective :unsure:

No we are starting at the top with the criticism and working our way down with the exception off rider's 2 & 3 and possibly 5 on this occasion.

• Like 2

With the dust settling on the rider performances and time to consider some of the other points raised on this thread.

I've been to both Glasgow and Edinburgh twice this season, so a few observations comparing presentation.

And I've tried to see this through the eyes of someone new to speedway who went to both Easter weekend meetings.

First impression - £2 for a programme from the rained off Workington meeting of 6th April! Did include a bonus racecard insert from the Berwick meeting. Poor start.

A PA system that stuttered.

Meeting presenter - Edinburgh have one. Glasgow - tells us who to cheer for and who won the race. (I'm new to speedway - WTF is the black and white helmet?)

Start marshalls - Glasgow have (had) one throwing a wobbler in public. Plus a girl who looks like she's ... well, not sure she looked confident in what she was doing.

Promotion officials - Edinburgh - smart, easily identifiable and accessible. Smiling, chatting with punters. Getting punter feedback. Walking about amongst them. Glasgow - Lord Lucan?

Raffle - Edinburgh - Ahh! a chance to win some dosh from that woman selling the tickets. Glasgow - wouldn't succeed in a job interview with BetFred or Barnados. Hint to Glasgow - Fund raising guys. Fund raising! Money. Dosh. Spondulics. No begging bowl mid-season. Capiche? Where TF is it?

Food - Edinburgh - On entry as you go in. Clean, quick service. Glasgow - somewhere up the back of the stand, OK if you know where it is. Service is s...l...o...w. Cleanliness? Think I'll wait till after the meeting and go to the greasy chippy across the road from the stadium. The one with the two cats in the window and the four trading standards and council food hygiene officers having a meeting with the smoking chef in the blood and food stained apron.

Beer - Edinburgh - bar easily visible and accessible. Glasgow - Like the food, "do they serve bevvy?"

Shall we go back next week?

Well if we do - we won't buy an old programme (on second thoughts we'll use that Berwick racecard), we'll take our own food/drink and we'd better swot up beforehand on what these four riders are doing out there.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5

No we are starting at the top with the criticism and working our way down with the exception off rider's 2 & 3 and possibly 5 on this occasion.

Funny that because on Friday the ridicule went from the bottom up.....Much easier to rip 2 british lads to shreds it's a national as it's pass time

Ineffective maybe , but that was through no lack of effort . Thomsen especially involved in a couple of terrific races . Their problem is that they cant gate for toffee , but both give their all in every race . Theo did very well in lowering Cook's colours , though he did have some help from Fox who held Cook up for over a lap .

• Like 1

Ive said this for years glasgows problem is fans who think they own the club, run the club too many hangers on. George made great point a out 50/50 draw total scam...food is poor....bar is poor 3 pound a bottle of lech....teams a joke...its in possil...our manager drives the tractor....anybody want to add....edinburgh do get it right on a friday great night out...

• Like 1

Ive said this for years glasgows problem is fans who think they own the club, run the club too many hangers on. George made great point a out 50/50 draw total scam...food is poor....bar is poor 3 pound a bottle of lech....teams a joke...its in possil...our manager drives the tractor....anybody want to add....edinburgh do get it right on a friday great night out...

What exactly do Edinburgh get so right ? Their team manager does the track too . How is the 50/50 draw a total scam ? there was £160 to the winner on Sunday , plus it's run by the supporters club and a percentage of the money raised goes to the club - nothing wrong with that in my book .

The bar is only poor at the moment because of the vandalism that destroyed the last bar . The bottles are large bottles of beer , so 3 pound is on a par with anywhere else .

There is a lot wrong at the moment and yes it's not ideal that the team manager is driving the tractor , but we cant give up on it .

• Like 4

With the dust settling on the rider performances and time to consider some of the other points raised on this thread.

I've been to both Glasgow and Edinburgh twice this season, so a few observations comparing presentation.

And I've tried to see this through the eyes of someone new to speedway who went to both Easter weekend meetings.

First impression - £2 for a programme from the rained off Workington meeting of 6th April! Did include a bonus racecard insert from the Berwick meeting. Poor start.

A PA system that stuttered.

Meeting presenter - Edinburgh have one. Glasgow - tells us who to cheer for and who won the race. (I'm new to speedway - WTF is the black and white helmet?)

Start marshalls - Glasgow have (had) one throwing a wobbler in public. Plus a girl who looks like she's ... well, not sure she looked confident in what she was doing.

Promotion officials - Edinburgh - smart, easily identifiable and accessible. Smiling, chatting with punters. Getting punter feedback. Walking about amongst them. Glasgow - Lord Lucan?

Raffle - Edinburgh - Ahh! a chance to win some dosh from that woman selling the tickets. Glasgow - wouldn't succeed in a job interview with BetFred or Barnados. Hint to Glasgow - Fund raising guys. Fund raising! Money. Dosh. Spondulics. No begging bowl mid-season. Capiche? Where TF is it?

Food - Edinburgh - On entry as you go in. Clean, quick service. Glasgow - somewhere up the back of the stand, OK if you know where it is. Service is s...l...o...w. Cleanliness? Think I'll wait till after the meeting and go to the greasy chippy across the road from the stadium. The one with the two cats in the window and the four trading standards and council food hygiene officers having a meeting with the smoking chef in the blood and food stained apron.

Beer - Edinburgh - bar easily visible and accessible. Glasgow - Like the food, "do they serve bevvy?"

Shall we go back next week?

Well if we do - we won't buy an old programme (on second thoughts we'll use that Berwick racecard), we'll take our own food/drink and we'd better swot up beforehand on what these four riders are doing out there.

Based upon my (limited) trips to Glasgow, a little harsh George.........but only a little.

Love the description of the 'two cats' chippy :D

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Better performances on track and these issues will be less significant. I agree about the programme, give us an insert with the original programme for the restaging meeting not for a completely different team.

• Like 1

What exactly do Edinburgh get so right ? Their team manager does the track too . How is the 50/50 draw a total scam ? there was £160 to the winner on Sunday , plus it's run by the supporters club and a percentage of the money raised goes to the club - nothing wrong with that in my book .

The bar is only poor at the moment because of the vandalism that destroyed the last bar . The bottles are large bottles of beer , so 3 pound is on a par with anywhere else .

There is a lot wrong at the moment and yes it's not ideal that the team manager is driving the tractor , but we cant give up on it .

So there's no misunderstanding can I clarify my point on funding raising.

I'm not suggesting there is a scam,

What I am suggesting is at Edinburgh there are numerous people walking through the crowd collecting fuel fund monies and selling raffle tickets.

At Glasgow I didn't see anyone on Sunday, and I stood at the same spot in front of the tapes for best part of 12 heats.

At Edinburgh if 10p falls out your pocket, a fund raiser will catch it before it hits the ground!

One of my points about the bar and the food is that for a new comer, they are not obvious, lack of sign posts and the announcer could do more (yes he did advise on at least one occasion) to make people aware that they're available and when to find them.

BTW - On Sunday I bought a burger and it was pretty good .... but nae onions!

Edited by george.m

What exactly do Edinburgh get so right ? Their team manager does the track too .

Edinburgh's team manager for home meetings is Alex Harkess and away from home it is Alex Harkess or John Campbell

Funny that because on Friday the ridicule went from the bottom up.....Much easier to rip 2 british lads to shreds it's a national as it's pass time

Ah that old chestnut whilst it wasn't the two reserves fault on Friday as they are clearly not good enough for PL racing at the minute.

But if your not good enough where you come from shouldn't come into it if your not good enough your just simply not good enough regardless.