British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

That's a very close minded statement. Tony Mole should carry some of the can for selling clubs to blatant donkey owners. May be goodfor him but the way he goes about his business is horrendous for the sport.

If you name all the clubs he'd saved, how many are still alive?

?? These teams would not be there in the first place if it was not for him . Without him you would not have a problem about selling to Donkey owners as would you would not even have that choice .

• Like 3

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and in mine, Mole is a vulture.

It's like me selling you a £1m house, knowing you can't afford it

You go bust after failing your mortgage after 5 years

Then I come sniffing, offering to buy back for the remaining mortgage

Then sell it to the next sucker for £1.5m and so on.

• Like 1

Not as I heard it

I heard they owed for nine meetings at £1,500 per meeting making a debt of £13,500.

The fighting fund is growing rapidly. I'm sure we'll get there

i'm really surprised at that low rent amount. Wimbledon were paying more than that to the GRA a decade ago!

Like the Chapmans did at Mildenhall you mean ??

• Like 1

Like the Chapmans did at Mildenhall you mean ??

Exactly that and not many approved of that either yet see Mole as a Saint

• Like 1

? Stupid reply .How would know if someone could afford a mortgage or not as it would not be you lending the money to the buyer .so it's nothing like it at all .

As Mole sold the club and got paid for so it' common sense tell us that Phillips and co could afford it . Sadly they were not very good at running it hence why we are here now .. Not sure How Mole is suppose to know who is going to make a good owener or not . How do you work that out intill they start running it .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

I may be losing my way on the main issue - and there are some I know who will be keen to scorn me for this!!! - but when might a decision be expected on Birmingham's future? Obviously it cannot be long delayed. I suppose a big factor will be the GRA's attitude in regard to their rent money? Fingers crossed that everything works out well for the Brummies.

That's a very close minded statement. Tony Mole should carry some of the can for selling clubs to blatant donkey owners. May be goodfor him but the way he goes about his business is horrendous for the sport.

If you name all the clubs he'd saved, how many are still alive?

Belle Vue, Stoke, Mildenhall, Workington. Based upon Graham Drury's statement, Birmingham will be too.

At Long Eaton he was evicted by the stadium owners who wanted to sell the land for housing.

I think that statement is extremely harsh to say the least. How on earth did he know they were 'donkey owners' ? I certainly don't recall one person saying that that was the case when Phillips and Luty bought the Brummies, and they had the same promoter - ie Drury - that Mole did. Given that the other clubs are all still in existence, its simply not true that he builds a team up and then sells it to fools and incompetents without a single regard for the team itself.

I see Tony Mole far more as a businessman than a saint, but he's a man with a lot of money who is prepared to put that money into speedway.

Does the sport need more like him or less ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

I know very little about Tony Mole. It just puzzles me that whenever a track seems to be in crisis the call goes out that he is the man to bring salvation. Who exactly is he? And get it clear - I have nothing against the man and am not out to spark a personal vendetta against him. It's just that I would like to learn more about him and his past involvement in speedway.

Gustix. in answer to one of your posts . it does seem that some posters see Mole as some sort of speedway philanthropist I would suggest this is a mistaken view, Quite obviously he is a very hard nosed businessman who makes money from speedway and he is a multi millionaire . In my view he craftily sold Brum after the crowds peaked.

My original comment certainly stimulated various opinions in regard to Tony Mole and his involvement in speedway. They have left me with an open mind about him. As I see it there are two camps of opinion in regard to him. It's very much a case, so far as I can see a matter of "you pay your money and make your choice" in regard to him.

I may be losing my way on the main issue - and there are some I know who will be keen to scorn me for this!!! - but when might a decision be expected on Birmingham's future? Obviously it cannot be long delayed. I suppose a big factor will be the GRA's attitude in regard to their rent money? Fingers crossed that everything works out well for the Brummies.

14th July deadline!!

Having listened to the interviews, I think the only blame the BSPA have in this is not insisting that an experienced speedway person was taken on by Phillips when Drury resigned!! Presumably that was around the same time that Phillips told the supporters group (and the BSPA?!) that there were no debts!!

Cos they Mole knows they are donkey owners, who else would invest in buying a Speedway Club ? You dont see the likes of Ford, Chapman, Russell etc snapping up all these golden eggs when they come up for sale.

Cos they Mole knows they are donkey owners, who else would invest in buying a Speedway Club ? You dont see the likes of Ford, Chapman, Russell etc snapping up all these golden eggs when they come up for sale.

At one stage ...Russell ,Ford and Chapman all brought a speedway club ...Maybe they should not have been allowed to in case they were donkey owners . So are your saying that if a club has be sold rather than go bust it should go bust because anyone who buys a speedway club is bound to be a donkey owner .?

And thats because they are not good business to buy or run. I could have both clubs if i wished but i dont want to loose money hand over fist which is what will happen here.

At one stage ...Russell ,Ford and Chapman all brought a speedway club ...Maybe they should not have been allowed to in case they were donkey owners . So are your saying that if a club has be sold rather than go bust it should go bust because anyone who buys a speedway club is bound to be a donkey owner .?

Where did i say that ? I must have missed that part. When it comes to sell a Speedway concern it seems to be people from outside the sport who are there to snaop his hands off. Could it be suggested that is because people within the Sport know the true value ?

Sad truth is that fighting funds, donations , collections etc will at best only delay things unless enough money comes through the gates to pay the bills.

• Like 2