British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Catch Me If You Can

Glasgow V Rye House Sunday 31st August Pl

To be fair, on many other threads where we have been bemoaning the lack of British progress, people have said we should embrace these junior European events as a means of giving our lads much needed international experience. Given that our teams are wrecked with absences anyway, we might as well enter our own lads, rather than bury our heads in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

Becoming hard to see much of a future for weekend Speedway in Britain.

The more 'European' this and that events, just means greater pressure on missing riders and guest situations in this country. Remember these jumped up events are proposed for a reason. Country's like the UK, and the BSPA, are supposed to just roll over and allow these events, using a country's assets and causing disruption, whilst taking all the profit from the event. In a case of owning your own company, I doubt whether many on here would fall in line with it either, unless there was a financial reason for being involved in it.

• Like 1

Looks like it turned out as expected a 3 man team against a 2 man team :cry: .

What a bunch of crap

It's European u21 that's why it is not recognised.

I think what these missing riders scenario proves that we need a slightly shortened season with the odd blank race day to cope.Perhaps just League,KO Cup and maybe 4's qualifiers is the way to go.

Qualifiers for the PL Fours would just another date to the calendar. As it is, Glasgow as a weekend club already lose fixtures because of the Pairs, Fours etc even when we aren't in it. Add in the British GP and we barely ran a meeting during late June and July. If we were to leave additional weekend dates spare on top of the early season rain offs we would be running triple headers next month.

With the BSPA not recognising the European U21 event they have caused todays farcical situation.

Not the best match i've ever watched but the score did keep it interesting (and mildly amusing)

The more 'European' this and that events, just means greater pressure on missing riders and guest situations in this country. Remember these jumped up events are proposed for a reason. Country's like the UK, and the BSPA, are supposed to just roll over and allow these events, using a country's assets and causing disruption, whilst taking all the profit from the event. In a case of owning your own company, I doubt whether many on here would fall in line with it either, unless there was a financial reason for being involved in it.

Absolutely agree. But the fact is the pressure from international events is only going to get greater - especially with the burgeoning European calendar. Only answer I can see is for PL teams to try and avoid employing riders who are going to be missing riding on the continent every weekend - and that is easier said than done.

• Like 1

You need a couple of fast gating throttle jockeys!!

Need the season to end ASAP

Qualifiers for the PL Fours would just another date to the calendar. As it is, Glasgow as a weekend club already lose fixtures because of the Pairs, Fours etc even when we aren't in it. Add in the British GP and we barely ran a meeting during late June and July. If we were to leave additional weekend dates spare on top of the early season rain offs we would be running triple headers next month.

With the BSPA not recognising the European U21 event they have caused todays farcical situation.

left out the League cup as it a waste of time if a couple of matches get rained off. Berwick still have to go to Glasgow for a fixture which means nothing.

Absolutely agree. But the fact is the pressure from international events is only going to get greater - especially with the burgeoning European calendar. Only answer I can see is for PL teams to try and avoid employing riders who are going to be missing riding on the continent every weekend - and that is easier said than done.

IMO the PL promoters have to get together and sort out Foreign rider situation regarding missing fixtures even if in means employing young Brits in their Teams in would maybe weaken the product on offer to start with but I'm sure you would still get competitive Teams 1-7 and the chances are it would bring through some Young Talent and raise the Standard again in a few years.2nd rate Foreigners missing meetings are killing the PL.(injuries excluded).
  • Like 1

Glasgow Tigers = 48

1. Danny Phillips (G) - 0, 0, 0 = 0
2. Theo Pijper - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 = 18 (Full max)
3. Kevin Wolbert R/R (TP 3)(AF R)(RH 3)(TA 3)
4. Tero Aarnio - R, 2, 2*, 3, 2 = 9+1
5. Rusty Harrison - 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2* = 16+1
6. Luke Chessell (G) - 0, F, 0 = 0
7. Aaron Fox (G) - 1, 0, R, 2*, 1, 0, 1* = 5+2

Rye House Rockets = 41

1. Edward Kennett - 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, R = 12
2. Benji Compton (G) - 1*, 1, X = 2+1
3. Steve Boxall - 1*, 1*, 1, 2, 2 = 7+2
4. Jason Garrity - 2, 2, 2, F, 3, 1 = 10
5. Anders Mellgren R/R (EK 2)(JG 2)(SB 1)(AE 1*)
6. Oliver Greenwood - 2*, 1*, 0, 1, 1*, X = 5+3
7. Alex Edberg (G) - 3, 1*, X, 1* = 5+2

Read more: http://www.speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/13833/glasgow-rye-house-pl-3pm#ixzz3BzTflb6E

An unexpected three points , but very welcome nevertheless . The racing wasn't exactly rivetting , but our three own riders somehow came through . We badly needed Theo and Rusty to score over 30 between them to give us a chance , and boy did they deliver , both were immense . After a bad first ride Tero responded to give the necessary back up , and Aaron Fox despite riding a dodgy bike weighed in with important points .

As for Rye , i think we were lucky they were the visitors today as i think every other team in the league would have taken advantage of our weakened team , only Kennet and Garrity gave us bother . Though Garrity was his usual erratic self , falling while in 2nd in one race and impeding his partner Kennett on heat 15's first and 2nd bend .

There was a feeling we got out of jail today , thankfully the visitors were who they were .

• Like 1

A

An unexpected three points , but very welcome nevertheless . The racing wasn't exactly rivetting , but our three own riders somehow came through . We badly needed Theo and Rusty to score over 30 between them to give us a chance , and boy did they deliver , both were immense . After a bad first ride Tero responded to give the necessary back up , and Aaron Fox despite riding a dodgy bike weighed in with important points .

As for Rye , i think we were lucky they were the visitors today as i think every other team in the league would have taken advantage of our weakened team , only Kennet and Garrity gave us bother . Though Garrity was his usual erratic self , falling while in 2nd in one race and impeding his partner Kennett on heat 15's first and 2nd bend .

There was a feeling we got out of jail today , thankfully the visitors were who they were .

After having read some of the comments of the Tigers Facebook pages i though it was just me who thought it wasnt the best Speedway match.........This one was the pick of the bunch

"A fantastic afternoon of spills, twists, nerve wracking absolutely fantastic speedway racing at its very best. What a great meeting. Brilliant !!!!" :rofl:

UPDATE !!

......it just gets better and better. The U21 match in Poland was rained off and is now rescheduled for 14th Sept so we'll be going through the exact same process when we face Edinburgh.

Edited by DJEuan

It was not that long ago that the Fan's were getting slagged off on Facebook by one off the Directors can't remember who it was but there customer relation skills definitely need worked on.

Same one Gazc

You need a couple of fast gating throttle jockeys!!

Actually Rye House outgated us most of the afternoon, Theo was probably the only one who made a gate that the referee let go - Tero's in the heat 14 re run was bizarrely called back. I love watching Rusty destroy the opposition just when they think they have made the gate - fair play to Kennett though he managed to counter it in heat 11

A fair summary. Gutted for Tero in heat 14, the initial running he was so far ahead, then he gets - wrongly - accused of a flier in the re run and the finally Garrity gets a wee flier and its allowed lol. In fairness though it perhaps balanced out heat 8 where I felt Compton was rather unlucky to be excluded

A

After having read some of the comments of the Tigers Facebook pages i though it was just me who thought it wasnt the best Speedway match.........This one was the pick of the bunch

"A fantastic afternoon of spills, twists, nerve wracking absolutely fantastic speedway racing at its very best. What a great meeting. Brilliant !!!!" :rofl:

DJEuan I wasnt at that meeting either! the numbers were close, there were good individual performances but lets be realistic was it a good speedway meeting with lots of passing and close racing? No way. I wont fault most of the riders for effort but I'd say as a close speedway spectacle that must be one of the least competitive meetings at Ashfield this season

• Like 1