British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Tracks Of Yesteryear

Blimey. :o Got a warehouse to store 'em all in? :D

I'm a historian, LH, I never throw anything away! I've also still got all my Speedway Worlds and Speedway Stars from 1960!

I've kept my programmes from every meeting I've ever been to from 1960 onwards.

you and me both. My first meeting was September 1968.
  • Like 1

My wife's an hoarder,keeps everything whereas every now again I have a clear out and get rid of stuff.still got rosettes and badges from 70s and 80s at cradley but cleared out programmes from over the years.also just thrown away loads of speedway stars.sad but I never looked at them so thought what's the point of all that clutter.kept a few programmes like 72 world final I think it was when bernie came second.not sure if I'm right to do it cuz I love history and nostalgia but hate clutter!

My first meeting was September 1968.

Snap.

Still got all my programmes, except a few from the 1976 season.

Got loads of Speedway Stars, but have a cull every now and then. Usually only keep the close season ones.

Do you know something we don't?

I'd love to remove it from the list, but do you honestly see a future there? Who knows, there might be more by the start of the season... :(

Steve

28th September 1968, Cradley v Newport

i beat you by two days!. September 26th 1968 the laurels at Wimbledon, won by Barry Briggs.

Youngsters!

11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich. Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum, but, happily, New Cross won the Britannia Shield match.

Edited by norbold

28th September 1968, Cradley v Newport

Hi, im always looking for any 1947 cradley programmes

Newport - Somerton park

Newport - Hayley stadium

Cradley Heath

Exeter

Oxford

Wimbledon

Hackney

Bradford

Belle vue - Hyde road

Leicester - blackbird rd

Reading - small mead

White City

Wembley

Carmarthen

Birmingham - Perry barr

Started going to New Cross in 63 the year they closed, then we went to Wimbledon, Ackney, West Am, then Wembley, White City, moved to Swindon in 68, Briggo etc., followed them since then. Should be a track in the capital.

Drove past Smallmead, Reading last Monday, sad to see it in that state. Went to IOW the year before it closed.

Have a 1963 Speedway Star bought from a car boot sale in Workington about 10 years ago.

My bruv in Adelaide has a great collection of hundreds of progs going back to the 50s.

Youngsters!

11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich. Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum, but, happily, New Cross won the Britannia Shield match.

Just the man Norbold,have been getting a collection together of Arthur Forrest mostly Halifax at the moment i know he reached 5 World finals.And in his first year in div 3 he scored 19 maximums four paid how good was he Norbold.?

Well, I can't tell you from personal experience, sidney, as he retired in 1959 and I started going to speedway in 1960. However, from his record he was certainly very good indeed. Between 1955 and 1965, only four riders managed to break the "big 5" dominance of the World Championship rostrum places and Arthur was one of them, so that must say something.

Back in 2010, Tony McDonald asked me to write an article on the Top 20 British riders of the 1950s. I placed him 6th.

Edited by norbold