British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

Actually what happens is that humanity evolves. What is right and accepted and the norm changes. You only have to watch a 70s sitcom to see what is considered acceptable then is offensive now. Or would you be happier for black people to be referred to it an openly derogatory way now?

With regards to the confederate flag, I am not massively offended, nor massively in support. I am indifferent to it. Which I suspect you are too. But other people are hugely offended by its connotations. So what takes priority - our indifference or the huge offence taken by others?

There are always some who take offence at anything. You saying we should just lie down and go with them on everything. Move on.

• Like 4

Another use of what is a legal flag,but one that is often used by neo-nazis and caused quite a storm near me last year amongst the allotment holders.Again,there was no real reason to hoist the flag and the guy swore he wasn't right-wing,said he was just a fan of eagles,but eventually removed it and probably has now been kicked out o the garden community...

http://www.bild.de/regional/hamburg/kleingaertner/hisst-reichsflagge-in-hamburg-37204558.bild.html

Edited by iris123

Another use of what is a legal flag,but one that is often used by neo-nazis and caused quite a storm near me last year amongst the allotment holders.Again,there was no real reason to hoist the flag and the guy swore he wasn't right-wing,said he was just a fan of eagles,but eventually removed it and probably has now been kicked out o the garden community...

http://www.bild.de/regional/hamburg/kleingaertner/hisst-reichsflagge-in-hamburg-37204558.bild.html

If i'm right that is the old German Imperial Navy flag?

Interesting that the state of S. Carolina has taken down the flag and consigned it to a museum.

If i'm right that is the old German Imperial Navy flag?

I don't think so - see here:

It mentions Nazis - my German is very limited. Perhaps iris 123 could help us out here.

There is no Maltese Cross on the Flag either.

I could well be wrong though.

isn't that the German Imperial flag used in the First World War, why is that offensive?

isn't that the German Imperial flag used in the First World War, why is that offensive?

Yes it is one of them.It is offensive,i guess because of what it represents,just like the Confederate flag and indeed just like the Japanese rising sun flag is controversial to some nations because of what it represents.Practically all the old red,white and black flags tend to be offensive in Germany because they are the colours that neo-nazis wear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Japan

The flag has been perfectly OK until some psycho with a gun and a flag went on the rampage, would be far better to have gotten rid of the gun than the flag.

• Like 1

The flag has been perfectly OK until some psycho with a gun and a flag went on the rampage, would be far better to have gotten rid of the gun than the flag.

It was never perfectly okay and was always seen as a symbol of white supremacy over the black population in the US, especially the southern states. Why do you think the psycho was so fond of the flag? It was the symbol of his racist hatred.

Some people in here really need to stick to speedway. In Britain the confederate flag is seen differently; as some kind of 'cool' sign of the rebel and its deeply offensive nature to many just isn't seen here, as reflected in some of the complacent and idiotic posts in this thread.

It's obvious that when the 'Rebel' identity was introduced to British Speedway back in 1972 at Oxford nobody realised how offensive it was in America, and to be honest it wasn't that relevant in a non-American sport.

When South Carolina lowered the flag last week it was a deeply significant moment for the local black population as they finally had that potent symbol of racist supremacy finally removed.

So, it may be a trivial matter here but it isn't elsewhere. Somerset keeping the image won't cause a diplomatic incident but it would be intelligent and sensitive to consider a change for next year, but then speedway doesn't 'do' 'intelligent' does it?

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

It was never perfectly okay and was always seen as a symbol of white supremacy over the black population in the US, especially the southern states. Why do you think the psycho was so fond of the flag? It was the symbol of his racist hatred.

Some people in here really need to stick to speedway. In Britain the confederate flag is seen differently; as some kind of 'cool' sign of the rebel and its deeply offensive nature to many just isn't seen here, as reflected in some of the complacent and idiotic posts in this thread.

It's obvious that when the 'Rebel' identity was introduced to British Speedway back in 1972 at Oxford nobody realised how offensive it was in America, and to be honest it wasn't that relevant in a non-American sport.

When South Carolina lowered the flag last week it was a deeply significant moment for the local black population as they finally had that potent symbol of racist supremacy finally removed.

So, it may be a trivial matter here but it isn't elsewhere. Somerset keeping the image won't cause a diplomatic incident but it would be intelligent and sensitive to consider a change for next year, but then speedway doesn't 'do' 'intelligent' does it?

Great post!

Actually what happens is that humanity evolves. What is right and accepted and the norm changes. You only have to watch a 70s sitcom to see what is considered acceptable then is offensive now. Or would you be happier for black people to be referred to it an openly derogatory way now?

Well go on then im intrigued. I tried to treat your post with the contempt it deserved but explain why anything I wrote would lead you to ask that pathetic & insulting question.

A bit like Iris who had to suggest that "I don't understand a statement" when in fact I just don't agree!

For the record I don't think humanity has evolved. Racist remarks have had to be policed out of the mainstream but thats not to say that the same bigotry doesn't exist anymore because unfortunately it does.

Sadly racial hatred & intolerance on all sides is still alive & well for those who wish to persue it but Somersets flag is the least of the problems.

Well go on then im intrigued. I tried to treat your post with the contempt it deserved but explain why anything I wrote would lead you to ask that pathetic & insulting question.

A bit like Iris who had to suggest that "I don't understand a statement" when in fact I just don't agree!

For the record I don't think humanity has evolved. Racist remarks have had to be policed out of the mainstream but thats not to say that the same bigotry doesn't exist anymore because unfortunately it does.

Sadly racial hatred & intolerance on all sides is still alive & well for those who wish to persue it but Somersets flag is the least of the problems.

So is the Confederate Battle Flag - you need to change hearts and minds not the Flag.

Edited by The White Knight

I hate to disagree, Rob, but while the Confederate flag has never been truly "accepted" by some Americans, the vast majority have never been that offended by it. Some may not like it, but there has never been any serious attempt to ban it. While there are obvious racist undertones, most - even black Americans - have accepted that it is a part of American history. Some of the stuff they show in TV these days can be considered genuinely offensive, yet it now becomes important to pull "The Dukes of Hazzard". Oh well, just another typical knee-jerk reaction, thanks to the efforts of lunatic activists...

Steve

• Like 2

But I would say a major problem for speedway is that it hasn't managed to attract ethnic minorities.If it did,we might not have to speculate on how they would react and speculation is something I thought you didn't like,unless of course it suits your argument :rofl::nono::drink:

Why is it a major problem for speedway? Motor sport in general does not attract ethnic minoriites in any number as competitors or spectators.

I hate to disagree, Rob, but while the Confederate flag has never been truly "accepted" by some Americans, the vast majority have never been that offended by it. Some may not like it, but there has never been any serious attempt to ban it. While there are obvious racist undertones, most - even black Americans - have accepted that it is a part of American history. Some of the stuff they show in TV these days can be considered genuinely offensive, yet it now becomes important to pull "The Dukes of Hazzard". Oh well, just another typical knee-jerk reaction, thanks to the efforts of lunatic activists...

Steve

Spot on!!!! :t: