British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

It all comes back to value for money and whatever way you look at it currently Speedway is terrible value for money. What you do about that is another matter but as Rob says promoters do need to wake a realise there putting on a pretty terrible product and asking high prices for the privalidge

With all this talk of Sunday meetings I thought Rob said last year that his Sunday double headers were affecting crowds and he couldn't wait to go back to Fridays (as they ran quite a few at the start of the season).

As with all tracks it's time for a long hard rethink and if that means losing teams from the Premier League so be it.

If the national League at weekends is the answer then great.

So much money appears to be wasted in the PL on second rate Aussies, Finns, Danes and now Italians. No wonder Rob is struggling to keep up.

• Like 1

With all this talk of Sunday meetings I thought Rob said last year that his Sunday double headers were affecting crowds and he couldn't wait to go back to Fridays (as they ran quite a few at the start of the season).

I am not sure it was affecting crowds, I think afternoon meetings make it hard to get the water in the track and left us with very little home track advantage. The racing is generally better on a Friday but the crowds are generally better at the weekend. A compromise of early Sunday evening might work.

• Like 2

So much money appears to be wasted in the PL on second rate Aussies, Finns, Danes and now Italians.

Without them you'd be wasting your money on third rate Brits, of which even them there are not enough.

Speedway should be listed as a shortage occupation by the government whereby we can import the skills we don't have - not 3.00 pointers but the bar should be set at 5.00 for PL riders to achieve a visa IMO.

As said above third rate riders from abroad are generally miles ahead in terms of ability than third rate British lads sad but true. I always enjoyed Sunday's at ewr but Friday nights give so much better racing especially as autumn comes loads of moisture in the track naturally creating more racing lines. Sunday afternoons no good to me anymore and would probably reduce my attendance to half of what it is but could see a 6.30 start generating more interest as its a great way to finish the weekend

As with all tracks it's time for a long hard rethink and if that means losing teams from the Premier League so be it.

So much money appears to be wasted in the PL on second rate Aussies, Finns, Danes and now Italians. No wonder Rob is struggling to keep up.

Ermm... hope we don't go the national league route...that'd probably finish me as a supporter. Like the idea of Sunday evening PL though.

Exactly. Ban all the foreigners. For the first few weeks of the season people would refuse to go as the replacements are crap. But after the first set of GSAs then "crap" Brits would all be averaging more, some of them as high as 8 or 9 as there would be no foreigners to beat them. Suddenly the stay away fans would be arguing that them new 8 point Brits are better than the old 6 point Finns, Danes and Czechs!

And in doing so, you only have to pay them slightly more than they currently get in the NL now, £10 a point is I think the rate, so double it to £20. With the draft as it is in the EL, then riders could progress up in time too.

You could allow any foreigners who could average 9 to stay. I say 9 because now with the league being very nearly NL level 7 would be far too easy.

Exactly. Ban all the foreigners. For the first few weeks of the season people would refuse to go as the replacements are crap. But after the first set of GSAs then "crap" Brits would all be averaging more, some of them as high as 8 or 9 as there would be no foreigners to beat them.

Sounds a rather stupid idea.Who will be fooled by averages when,once you attend a meeting and see the riders who are averaging 7 or 8 are way way behind the top riders........You kick out the slightly better guys and you just widen the gap between top and bottom,and believe me I have seen this happen in Denmark and Germany and it doesn't make for interesting racing.And at least for me,i am more interested in the racing than the averages

Sounds a rather stupid idea.Who will be fooled by averages when,once you attend a meeting and see the riders who are averaging 7 or 8 are way way behind the top riders........You kick out the slightly better guys and you just widen the gap between top and bottom,and believe me I have seen this happen in Denmark and Germany and it doesn't make for interesting racing.And at least for me,i am more interested in the racing than the averages

But as you have booted out all the foreingors, in reality all you have in the NL, in the PL with the current draft riders, Howarth, Robbo and Cook. they probably wont be interested in £20 a point and will go EL full time anyway.

And you think you can''t fool people. Just look at the people who still don't grasp that an 8 pointer in a 16 league is not as good as a 5 pointer in an 8 team league

I see Rob said in the programme that if they run next season that they will run on Sunday evenings , that rules 3 of us sometimes 4 and two kids out of attending :neutral: , good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by OILYRAG

It all comes back to value for money and whatever way you look at it currently Speedway is terrible value for money. What you do about that is another matter but as Rob says promoters do need to wake a realise there putting on a pretty terrible product and asking high prices for the privalidge

The really ironic thing is that not at Scunny it isn't.

Taking Tungate out for a moment, that's two superb quality speedway meetings back to back I have seen there.

Somerset perhaps aside, I haven't seen that anywhere else.

I see Rob said in the programme that if they run next season that they will run on Sunday evenings , that rules 3 of us sometimes 4 and two kids out of attending :neutral: , good luck with whatever you decide.

Its a real shame but it is pretty much inevitable that Sunday evening won't suit some. I prefer Fridays, but Sunday at that time would be OK.

The thing is all that Rob said about Fridays was true and his attendances simply aren't good enough then. He has to change.

• Like 2

Sunday's ain't no good to me either due to sons grasstrack commitments but rather Sunday afternoons and been able to attend 50% of the meetings than Friday nights and no meetings , Sunday's were always well attended so good luck Rob remember all publicity is good publicity

• Like 1

Sunday evenings are an awesome way to end the week, speaking as a Newcastle fan. Friday nights most people are knackered from work and either want to lie on the sofa or hit the booze. I really hope the Scorpions can try at least another season. Best wishes to Rob.

• Like 3