British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

You look back to the PL days and when programmes were filled with loads of information and interviews and when we had a proper man on the mic in the middle as well there was a good feeling on the terraces (helped by sticking 60+ points into every visitor each week) now we get hardly anything as fans, the jump to the EL may have been a good decision on the track but like everyone says keep the fans happy and they will keep coming through the turnstiles............... all we ask is to be kept informed of what is going on at the club, if there is no developments then tell us, that's how Chinese whispers start and lead to situations like last night, it doesn't take long to post a tweet or update a Facebook status, hell I would even volunteer to do it for Buster if he wanted free of charge just so some sort or PR got rolling again......................................................

• Like 2

So Rob Lyon has said there will be no announcements about the final 2 riders until the new year. For anyone who doesn't speak Norfolk that's translated as " we ain't got no one, and ain't got a clue who we can get". :P

I still blame NKI for keeping Lynn dangling so long :nono:

• Like 1

It does seem rather strange that even the son of the owner of Kings Lynn thought there was announcement coming at 7.45 last night. Then again he could have always picked up the phone and asked. ( then again maybe not)

With no new signing yet, why could they not have made an annoucement at 7.45 last night, and said something along the lines we haqve identified our number target and talks are ongoing etc etc... or if nothing was in the pipeline, let the fans know. fans like to be kept in the loop, even if there is nothing concrete to report.

Since JC left the PR at the club as been poor, to say the least. He has never been replaced. Maybe Buster felt there was no need for him in the first place. Its Buster business and Im sure he knows what is best. It just seems when JC was onboard the Club had a real feel good factor about it, that has gone downhill ever since.

As I said before I am just a fan and wouldn't expect any special treatment. However as a fan I do now expect to be kept informed of relevant news and information... good or bad!

With regards to the feel good factor it wouldn't take much to generate it again, the formula was simple:

1. Carefully select music that generates a positive and pumped up atmosphere.... don't just play the latest NOW album.

2. discount air horns to a price that fans can afford so they do not hesitate to make an impulse purchase (something i once suggested should be implemented across the whole of speedway).

3. get a good centre green announcer on board who is not afraid of controversy.

4. make sure all riders take an extra lap if they win a race (Chris mills never had to be asked twice to do that).

5. make sure the meeting runs slickly as any unforced delays will simply deflate the atmosphere (If their is a forced delay then without any question the interval should be cancelled).

​On top of these basics you can throw in some start ladies (16 years and over only) who can perform some routines during delays, and add some themed nights in the summer and give away freebies to everyone (anyone remember the 1000 air inflated pistols I personally handed out on the western night back in the day?).

I will always look at 2005 to 2009 as the GOLDEN YEARS of King's Lynn Speedway (nine pieces of silverware in four years), however I do hope that the future brings some new ones for the riders and supporters to enjoy.

So Rob Lyon has said there will be no announcements about the final 2 riders until the new year. For anyone who doesn't speak Norfolk that's translated as " we ain't got no one, and ain't got a clue who we can get". :P

I still blame NKI for keeping Lynn dangling so long :nono:

Are Rosetta Stone now offering this language Star Lady?

Ps Whilst I am not privy to any of the facts FWIW I do not feel NKI should be blamed if the Stars do not end up with a suitable alternative (I am crossing my fingers that one will be delivered).

• Like 6

I obviously missed it happening and the reasons why - but why did Jonathon Chapman part company with Kings Lynn/speedway?

• Like 1

As I said before I am just a fan and wouldn't expect any special treatment. However as a fan I do now expect to be kept informed of relevant news and information... good or bad!

With regards to the feel good factor it wouldn't take much to generate it again, the formula was simple:

1. Carefully select music that generates a positive and pumped up atmosphere.... don't just play the latest NOW album.

2. discount air horns to a price that fans can afford so they do not hesitate to make an impulse purchase (something i once suggested should be implemented across the whole of speedway).

4. make sure all riders take an extra lap if they win a race (Chris mills never had to be asked twice to do that).

5. make sure the meeting runs slickly as any unforced delays will simply deflate the atmosphere (If their is a forced delay then without any question the interval should be cancelled).

​On top of these basics you can throw in some start ladies (16 years and over only) who can perform some routines during delays, and add some themed nights in the summer and give away freebies to everyone (anyone remember the 1000 air inflated pistols I personally handed out on the western night back in the day?).

I will always look at 2005 to 2009 as the GOLDEN YEARS of King's Lynn Speedway (nine pieces of silverware in four years), however I do hope that the future brings some new ones for the riders and supporters to enjoy.

Ps Whilst I am not privy to any of the facts FWIW I do not feel NKI should be blamed if the Stars do not end up with a suitable alternative (I am crossing my fingers that one will be delivered).

Good posting JC. Hope you and the family are well, and enjoy a good festive season.

Yes it's a BOGOF offer along with BSPABullsh1t :P:wink::D

I'm not going to name names but the PR are at an all time low lack of information is a joke with social media fans can or in KL case could be kept up to date in seconds via social media but I feel you almost have to have a go at certain people to get them to put out a update as the club did last night .

Your point 5 is another of my gripes too many times have I been getting in my car to drive home after a meeting 10pm why can't meetings start 7-30 and and push the meetings through the Leicester meeting was a prime example had the meeting started on time we would have completed 10 heats and got a win instead late start rain before heat 10 rain off and when we faced Leicester again we lost that rain off cost Lynn a play off place all because it didn't start on time . JC come on back to KL the club needs you and more importantly speedway needs you .

I'm not going to name names but the PR are at an all time low lack of information is a joke with social media fans can or in KL case could be kept up to date in seconds via social media but I feel you almost have to have a go at certain people to get them to put out a update as the club did last night .

Your point 5 is another of my gripes too many times have I been getting in my car to drive home after a meeting 10pm why can't meetings start 7-30 and and push the meetings through the Leicester meeting was a prime example had the meeting started on time we would have completed 10 heats and got a win instead late start rain before heat 10 rain off and when we faced Leicester again we lost that rain off cost Lynn a play off place all because it didn't start on time . JC come on back to KL the club needs you and more importantly speedway needs you .

As much as I would love to see (party with JC) back at Lynn I don't think it will happen, as I think the travelling would cost a fortune ! He is greatly missed and it's a shame he is not involed with the club anymore, but I'm sure he is enjoying the sunshine and the nightlife where is is now.

I can understand the desire for brief social media updates during the close season but I would be cautious about being flooded with too much news saying very little during the winter.....as a big Norwich City fan I actually stop reading news reports during the summer as they say virtually nothing and that is the danger of bombarding your customers with empty stories is that they will switch off.

I'd agree though that during the season the PR could be much, much better.

Any indication to the no 1 announcement?

Jose Mourinho name is being linked..... :t:

• Like 1

I can understand the desire for brief social media updates during the close season but I would be cautious about being flooded with too much news saying very little during the winter.....as a big Norwich City fan I actually stop reading news reports during the summer as they say virtually nothing and that is the danger of bombarding your customers with empty stories is that they will switch off.

I agree. The news they put out yesterday was just saying that there is no news. What is the point of that? I would rather have news worth reading than constant rubbish being pushed out. If there is no news then there is no reason to tell us there is no news.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be reminded i was a Norwich fan either!

• Like 1

The one main ingredient that JC failed to mention was someone to implement it all. Young Chapman is obviously not the only PR guy around but he has never been replaced. Maybe there are not the funds available to support someone at both the Speedway and the Football on a full time basis, but you only have to take a look at the Football to see what happens when no marketing budget is out behind a business. I have no idea what numbers have been like at Saddlebow over the same period, as where numbers are concerned Speedway never makes anything official... Why is that ?

As for news coming out of the Club during the off season I think fans should expect more news than we currently get. After all Phil Rising sells a weekly mag throughout the winter when no speedway is taking place in the UK

I agree. The news they put out yesterday was just saying that there is no news. What is the point of that? I would rather have news worth reading than constant rubbish being pushed out. If there is no news then there is no reason to tell us there is no news.

but isn't this what people were asking for?

there have been people saying that even if there's no news, let us know, so it's obviously a no win situation