British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Promotion And Promoters

Promotion is the act of encouraging something to happen or develop.

Promoters are supposed to help forward or encourage (enterprise or result); publicize and sell (product); initiate (project).

In the Speedway Star several articles have been printed regarding the lack of support for teams up and down the country and also several letters published that state no local publicity has been made regarding meetings or events at tracks.

Peaching to the converted is witnessed in churches up and down the country every Sunday, where attendances have dwindled also.

Until heads are taken out of the sand by the ones who run the sport nothing will happen.

Changing the rules year in and year out will not resolve issues.

Making a change in League structure and race days, will help in short term with personal finances for the converted.

EMPHASIS must be made by every club to get out into their communities and PROMOTE the clubs.

NEW, YOUNG, ENERGETIC AND ENTHUSIASTIC SUPPORTERS ARE REQUIRED FOR NEXT SEASON.

TO ACHIEVE THIS IT BEGINS AT THE END OF THIS SEASON.

season.

• Like 2

I applaud your sentiment but fear you may be whistling in the wind.

Promotion is the act of encouraging something to happen or develop.

Promoters are supposed to help forward or encourage (enterprise or result); publicize and sell (product); initiate (project).

In the Speedway Star several articles have been printed regarding the lack of support for teams up and down the country and also several letters published that state no local publicity has been made regarding meetings or events at tracks.

Peaching to the converted is witnessed in churches up and down the country every Sunday, where attendances have dwindled also.

Until heads are taken out of the sand by the ones who run the sport nothing will happen.

Changing the rules year in and year out will not resolve issues.

Making a change in League structure and race days, will help in short term with personal finances for the converted.

EMPHASIS must be made by every club to get out into their communities and PROMOTE the clubs.

NEW, YOUNG, ENERGETIC AND ENTHUSIASTIC SUPPORTERS ARE REQUIRED FOR NEXT SEASON.

TO ACHIEVE THIS IT BEGINS AT THE END OF THIS SEASON.

season.

I agree 100% with what you say. The most sensible post I've read for a very long while.

"The Mackem"

Young, energetic and enthusiastic rules me out then!

It rules out most knockers of our great sport.

It rules out most knockers of our great sport.

i'm not knocking our sport, just reflecting how I feel after a days work!

The problem is that the BSPA is run on a shoe string.

Ideally , an independent person should run the Sport......but who is going to pay the bill ??????

• Like 1

Ideally , an independent person should run the Sport......but who is going to pay the bill ??????

More should have been done when Speedway was a really popular Sport.

Sadly things have been allowed to get so run down - the Sport of Speedway could well be History in this Country in a few years. I take no pleasure whatsoever in saying this. To a point, I don't even blame the Promoters today. Most of them were probably not around the last time Speedway in the UK was successful. The mistakes were made many years ago.

The thing is that hindsight is wonderful thing - but - who is to say that we, had we been Promoters then, would not have done exactly the same?

• Like 3

something bold at bspa need doing, instead of cost cutting/tinkering round the edges....squad system, same night fixtures, rejuvinate the sport!!

Edited by ColinMills
  • Like 1

It always comes back to this "finding and independent person" - we already have a few of them, they're called referees!!

CEOs of minor sports are only paid 40-50K per year. You'll probably only get a youngish person for that, and you won't keep them for long if they're any good, but they might bring enough enthusiasm and ideas to improve the sport.

It always comes back to this "finding and independent person" - we already have a few of them, they're called referees!!

It doesn't have to be someone unassociated with the sport - merely someone with no current ties to any particular promotion. It could be a former promoter, referee or even rider if they have the right attributes.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Speedway missed a golden opportunity in the late eighties when John Berry put his name forward to administer the sport. He would have been an ideal choice put he soon pulled out as he felt that he wouldn't have got the necessary backing.

More should have been done when Speedway was a really popular Sport.

Sadly things have been allowed to get so run down - the Sport of Speedway could well be History in this Country in a few years. I take no pleasure whatsoever in saying this. To a point, I don't even blame the Promoters today. Most of them were probably not around the last time Speedway in the UK was successful. The mistakes were made many years ago.

The thing is that hindsight is wonderful thing - but - who is to say that we, had we been Promoters then, would not have done exactly the same?

I think it has to revert to being semi-professional in this country. If that means some riders quitting and some clubs folding because they can't run on a weekend or Friday night, so be it, it would be better than the whole thing completely folding.

When I started going in 1963 , only the top world class riders were employed as riders only.

The majority had their own business or their employer allowed them to book 1/2 a day or a full day off work .....Speedway was their hobby.

A small number were allowed time of work at their employer's expense.