British Speedway Forum
Hamish McRaker

Any Takers For The Elite League?

Where would the riders come from for one big league? Just about every team has 2 or 3 double uppers in it.

I assume you are referring to the Elite League... however..Under strength.. but stronger than the PL....Over priced, but some PL clubs charge as much..

So perhaps I assumed wrong, must be the Premier League you are talking about as that is the only league that fits your statement.

My own thoughts, I don't care which league it is, they both have their good and bad points and both can provide excellent speedway.

Oh - you do attend then. You must do to make a statement like that.

Or - are you going on hearsay?

Not necessarily. You don't attend, but still have an opinion.

There has been plenty EL and PL shown on the Tele to provide a clue to the good/bad racing experience, I would have thought.

Of course if it does become one 'big' League perhaps the BSPA could find a League Sponsor - no problem with League name then.

The 'Walkers Crisps' Speedway League for example.

But will the BSPA or Gospeed put themselves about to do that?

We must wait and see.

It's more likely to be The Surecare Plumbing services league and if the NL gets a sponsor,say The Utopia Hair-Beauty Aberdeen League,then no-one will know what is the top or bottom league........

I'm sure if they don't get the name exactly right,then a lot of people will just call it a day on this issue

Edited by iris123

I attend more than you do :)

I'm not boycotting the sport because a rule I don't like was made fairer.

• Like 1

The major problem with one league is what do you call it then?It wouldn't be as strong as the Elite,so you can't call it that and it would be stronger than the Premier,so you really can't call it that.Calling the top league 'Elite' seems to give lots of people a problem,so I imagine this new big league will fail at the first stage of thinking up a name that will please everyone,before they even start on team building and rules.........

British League will do.The sport is in decline in GB and needs to re- invent itself.One league would be a start IMO .
  • Like 2

Where would the riders come from for one big league? Just about every team has 2 or 3 double uppers in it.

The main reason Chris Louis said on local radio a few weeks back why it's highly unlikely to happen.

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

Wouldnt mind it if the Panthers eventualy ended up being back in the Elite League, but rules need looking at massively before the moment any team is interested in taking the plunge to the Average league.

• Like 2

For me it would not matter what league my team rode in, Elite, Premier or National, I would still attend meetings and support the team basically because I love the sport and love my team.

And I don't think the racing in as better in any of the leagues, you will get your fair share of good and bad meetings any of the leagues.

But of them all my preferred choice is the Premier, there is a wider choice of opposition, and more competition to go at.

League

KO Cup

League Cup

Play Off's

Fours

Pairs

League Riders Championship

Premier League all the way for me.

• Like 2

I'd love to see a large European League, say for example, top 4 British, 4 Polish, 4 Danish, 4 Swedish, all the worlds best riders. Then have one big British League..plus a National League.

• Like 1

This is somewhat ironic!!

• Like 4

There is no incentive for any Premier League team to move up. In every other credible sport each team aims to get into the top division because of the financial benefits from either a) increased media exposure and TV deals or B) huge increases in attendances. In each case the extra revenue would cover the additional costs incurred from paying higher wages. There is not much in the way of incentives to go to the Elite League. I don't know how much clubs get from a Sky TV apperance but I can't imagine it being that much. It might lead to the odd sponsorship deal from local companies but there's no way it will cover the huge leap in expenses from premier League to Elite League.

I don't know how much clubs get from a Sky TV apperance but I can't imagine it being that much. It might lead to the odd sponsorship deal from local companies but there's no way it will cover the huge leap in expenses from premier League to Elite League.

You accept you don't know the financial arrangements and then go on to say it won't cover expenses.....you seem to contradict yourself !!

I attend more than you do :)

I'm not boycotting the sport because a rule I don't like was made fairer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: