British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

At the BSPA/Fans forum it was stated that the BSPA were looking into that aspect of the 'rights-contract' as they too are keen to take advantage (finally) of 'new' technology.

There is also considerable pressure from club sponsors to get this sorted.

A few interesting points highlighted in the Star this week in the Fans Forum item

Social media strategy......"We all find it very restrictive and strange that we have to ask to put our own stuff on our own websites, but there is a very positive mood for that to be ironed out and go forward with it"

Keith Chapman.

Abandoned meetings/Heat 10 rule "On re admissions, i dont think its something weve had to deal with at Scunthorpe. Sometimes mother nature intervenes and its beyond our control and your battling to get to heat 10.

But it has been abused once or twice , and i can assure you that has been noted."

Rob Godfrey

"I can only speak for myself at Kings Lynn, and when we have a wet meeting our crowds dont drop at all, because ive always had the policy that i give refunds at the gate".

Keith Chapman.

clubs need to think about creating a streaming site for their club , theres a lot of older generation that arent as mobile as they used to be that perhaps used to go every meeting but can only go now when health allows, surely a yearly contract for access to home meetings could be worth thinking about

.. but is there any money to be made or will the clubs merely spend money setting it up only to find that the digital shoplifters proudly tell everyone how to steal the content?

In my opinion, streaming is not the answer as there is a risk that even more 'fans' might stay away for whatever reasons.

Clubs want and need to be able to utilise 'highlights footage' to promote their sport on their own websites. This could be updated after every meeting - home and away - if deals are done with fellow promotions and then placed on social media and used at external promotional opportunities with a suitable 'Come and see it LIVE' incentive.

• Like 1

There are obviously two fundamental aspects to online coverage:

1 - Full streaming of matches. This could be a useful source of additional revenue, if intelligently priced. With the cost of travel these days there must be many supporters who would love to follow their team away but are put off not by the admission cost but the cost of getting there. Putting such coverage behind a paywall could be a solution to getting at least some of the lost revenue back. Against that must of course be offset the risk of home fans following suit but it can't say too much for the quality of a promoter's product if supporters would prefer to sit at home watching basic, single camera coverage on pretty poor equipment, as with the sample offered from Poole. Sometimes a sport has to take risks, but obviously calculated ones, perhaps initially as an experiment featuring occasional meetings?

Piracy would be an obvious problem but given that these 'services' are so widely discussed openly here and elsewhere I do not believe it would be that difficult for the BSPA or Go Speed to track them down and get them cut off. Perhaps sensible pricing (for once) would reduce the desire to 'pirate'?

Just how many people were lost from gates during the Bet365 streaming in 2014 and did attendance figures leap back last year? If they did then fair enough. Do they actually know though?

2 - Clips for promotional use. This is VITAL. We live in a world where the publicity industry can see all of its expensive efforts overtaken by the amateur with the lucky clip that go viral. Supposing there's a great incident in a race, a wonderful, heroic finish, a dramatic race to the line or other incident (non-harmful) or even a star rider losing his patience and taking direct action against an opponent off the bike.

Right now if anyone captures this, whether an official video crew or an amateur with his over-rated camera phone picture (hopefully landscape rather than pc or TV unfriendly portrait) if they post it they'll be in trouble. The track themselves can't say "Come see us this week - this is how good it IS - just £18 buys you your seat for the action!"

Okay the price bit might be contentious ;-)

It would appear that right now all of these online rights were sold in the Go Speed/Sky deal - and crucially unused by Sky. Well, you can see why Sky would want it. You can equally see why the BSPA/Go Speed should have dug their heels in. Perhaps it was a deal-breaker? Perhaps someone might clarify? (I know - April 1st isn't too far off).

Last time I touched on this subject someone posted an idiotic response that I was saying we should have abandoned Sky coverage and instead have just online coverage from the small video companies.

Why can't we have both? Is it simply a case of someone not being able to read or more importantly interpret the consequences of a contract?

I'm relieved that the new BSPA management are aware of how the family silver was sold and that the situation will be rectified.

I would gladly watch speedway seven nights a week, if I could, and watched the Bet365 coverage avidly despite its limitations. It did not affect my attendance at tracks or my willingness to attend one jot - to me it was an additional part of my speedway, just as conventional TV coverage is now. I'm sure I'm not alone.

It is possible to watch TV or online coverage and be MORE likely to attend live matches. I lived the 2014 season thoroughly - the more I could see the more fascinated I was. I just wish I could have seen more PL but I was happy with what I had. Did anyone there read the contract properly rather than sudden;ly wake up to the fact that a refundable £5 deposit gave you the entire season? Not very impressive is it?

What I DO want to see, and the sport deserves is hearing of a clip from speedway going viral and getting millions of views. We need people involved with vision and intelligence who can read a contract. I'm still awaiting my refund for the Polish Grand Final 2nd leg that I paid the contractors for.

If cats can get millions of hits, why not speedway?

Oh yes, we can't even try can we?

The sport has allowed itself to be stifled just at the moment when others are leaping ahead with online marketing. In my day job I've seen the invoices sent to major businesses for online 'mentions. Next time you see a mention of a brand or product on Farcebook, Twitter, other social media or even forums just think. Is that person being paid to say that, even "It's like certain yeast-based products, you either love them or hate them". I think you'd be surprised to know how many aren't made by general members of the public.

I've always believed the greatest form of marketing is word of mouth - personal recommendation by those we know and trust. It's what got me to my first meeting - pestering by a school friend.

We need these forces working for US!

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

clubs have to address this before it becomes a problem with loads of fans streaming live via there phones to other fans

• Like 1

Piracy would be an obvious problem but given that these 'services' are so widely discussed openly here and elsewhere I do not believe it would be that difficult for the BSPA or Go Speed to track them down and get them cut off. Perhaps sensible pricing (for once) would reduce the desire to 'pirate'?

Can't help thinking that if the multi-million pound might of Sky cannot defeat the thieves then the BSPA will have no chance

All working fine on Woody. Loads of different providers for sport. Get more addons.

Hi Steve, Can I ask what box you went for? Was it the MXQ?

And big thanks for your fine work at Coventry on Friday night...we couldn't get up there so delighted at the stream - Thank you

Abandoned meetings/Heat 10 rule "On re admissions, i dont think its something weve had to deal with at Scunthorpe. Sometimes mother nature intervenes and its beyond our control and your battling to get to heat 10.

But it has been abused once or twice , and i can assure you that has been noted."

Rob Godfrey

There you go folks. Rob Godfrey doesn't have a problem because he battles to get to heat 10. C'mon Rob, we pay for 15 heats, battle to get to heat 15!

Hi Steve, Can I ask what box you went for? Was it the MXQ?

And big thanks for your fine work at Coventry on Friday night...we couldn't get up there so delighted at the stream - Thank you

The box I went for was this one.

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product-category/t8-tv-boxes-flagship-units/

Spend the £110 and get the keyboard. Well with it. Faultless device which is fast and has the capability of sticking a hard drive in it.

Mine has been perfect and its the best on the market.

Spend the £110 and get the keyboard. Well with it. Faultless device which is fast and has the capability of sticking a hard drive in it.

Thanks for the advice Steve, looks good, think I'll treat myself to one - cheers

Eastbourne on Facebook:

"Live broadcasting won't be permitted. It has been brought to our attention that in recent years many fans like to broadcast our events. Usually via social media streams or periscope. Unfortunately it breaches the rights of British Speedway and our club as a whole. Any users found to be broadcasting our meetings from an unofficial source will be banned from the stadium and legal action could be taken further. We hope you understand our decision. If you have any queries please contact Connor or Martin."

Wake up British Speedway, it's 2016....

• Like 1

firesticks just as good for 35 quid and a peice of piddle to put a kodi build on ,

Eastbourne on Facebook:

"Live broadcasting won't be permitted. It has been brought to our attention that in recent years many fans like to broadcast our events. Usually via social media streams or periscope. Unfortunately it breaches the rights of British Speedway and our club as a whole. Any users found to be broadcasting our meetings from an unofficial source will be banned from the stadium and legal action could be taken further. We hope you understand our decision. If you have any queries please contact Connor or Martin."

it's soooo depressing to see a sport run by old farts just watching the modern world pass them by, whilst still bemoaning the fact that not enough people know / turn up to their meetings.

• Like 2

Eastbourne on Facebook:

Well why should they allow it if someone have the broadcasting rights? It is the same as when you go to a "high profile" concert or sporting event and you

are told that you are nor allowed to bring "professional" recording equipment/cameras or similar (unless you have permission).

It's only streaming with phones... don't understand the problem. It's different when people come with professional equipment.

For example: what Pedersen his crew did in Wittstock was fantastic imo (streaming his heats with Facebook).