British Speedway Forum

Am i a little pd off with tonight yes but more than that i am so so gutted for Chris David and the club.

• Like 6

real shame this

and its 1 of the reasons i didnt go

i wanted to but decided 1,i am very busy at the moment and really didnt have time to travel 2, it all seams to have been left a little too late fot it to be ready in time maybe they just havnt had the track down long enough

Edited by scarra

Its rare I side with the promotion against the riders, but I think you are right (albeit solely based upon what Chris Harris has said).

When Newcastle opened up in the late 1990's, they used ash waste as a track surface. It immediately began to break up at the opening meeting, and the riders were reluctant to ride.

The late Ian Thomas pointed out that there was a huge crowd, it was an opening meeting and that they should go out and do their best without taking any risks at all.

They did, and the meeting was run.

While it doesn't excuse the fact that the track should have been ready, if the surface was rideable the meeting should have gone ahead.

Shame on those - and I'd like to know who they were, too- who refused to give it a go.

I remember Redcar's opening meeting v Sheffield, the track was clearly unfit but there was a massive crowd there and for the good of the sport the riders got on with it

• Like 5

I fell sorry for the organisers , they have been let down by the riders , 16 national league boys would just have got on with it and made the best of it , apparently there was a meeting and a riders vote , I would like to know the names of those who refused to ride , they have let british speedway down , not that the likes of Woffinden and pedersen care about British speedway

I remember being at a world championship motocross meeting back in the 70's.. The big time charlies of the motocross world voted not to race because they feared the track was too dry and too dangerous... That didn't stop a host of support riders putting on a fantastic meeting in their absence. Speedway riders should appreciate the troubles within our sport (a lot of the problems are down to them!), they should've at least given it a go, even if getting round safely meant only giving it 60% effort.

• Like 4

I assume the track was licensed by the SCB/ACU, if so whoever passed it fit should be sacked.

People have moaned for years about the media ignoring the sport of speedway but after this FIASCO tonight I wonder how much of the media is going to pick it up and report on it tomorrow in the nationals ? :cry:

Harris said the track was rideable.

In the circumstances (huge crowd, opening meeting etc) the meeting should have gone ahead.

The fact that the meeting would have been crap is down to the promotion. The fact that it was abandoned is down to the riders.

Not at all ...they should have never been a meeting or should they have let the fans let in ....by all accounts they knew the track was not ready it's hardly a secret ...the buck lies with them and them only .

Edited by orion

You can't believe it, why does Speedway always kick itself in the foot. another almighty c***k up, it's at times likes this it's good job Speedway doesn't get much media coverage

• Like 1

I remember Redcar's opening meeting v Sheffield, the track was clearly unfit but there was a massive crowd there and for the good of the sport the riders got on with it

You're right. I was there too that night.

Belle Vue have to take some blame, but to my mind (and based solely upon what Chris Harris has said) this could have been run and the riders are the ones who should be getting the flak.

• Like 2

They were, maybe you shouldn't comment on things you haven't a clue about as you weren't there.

Chris Morton and David Gordon announced the meeting was off and were very emotional,

Emotional 1, the track curator who ever he is would have known several days ago if this meeting was going to make it. If he had doubts then he should have reported it to the promotion

2, The promotion should have gone out with the track curator and listened to what he said. End of the day, the buck stops with the promotion. No excuse whichever way you word it.,

3, the riders who did alegdedly tested it should have given the promotion an honest apprasial, and cancelled the meeting, not wait for X thousands of fans to turn up and bums put on seats then be told to go home.

Edited by Starman2006

Not at all ...they should have never been a meeting or should they have let the fans let in ....by all accounts they knew the track was not ready it's hardly a secret ...the buck lies with them and them only .

If so, why didn't they ride it ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I wonder if 16 NL riders would have turned out in front of 6000 fans?

(Think I can guess the answer)

I also wonder if £100k was the first prize whether the riders tonight would have given it a go...?

(Think I definitely know the answer)

Surely given the occasion a bit of common sense could have prevailed?

Agree to take the 3rd and 4th turns like a 'yellow flag' in other Motorsports with no passing...?

When I saw Max and Richie practice on Friday morning they didn't seem to have any issues...

A huge set back for the sport and the Aces in particular...

Think it only right to name those who decided not to race....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

If so, why didn't they ride it ?

Harris is just 1 rider with 1 opinion.What did the other 15 think?

If the track wasn't ready, then the buck stops entirely with the promotion. They should have called it off several days ago, and stopped fans from all across the country travelling to Manchester today for what was a massive waste of time.

They have shot themselves in the foot.

All the best

Rob

• Like 7

End of the day shows the total disregard for Peter Craven - well done Belle Vue !

• Like 1