British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo1

Glasgow V Edinburgh ,wednesday 29/6/16, Sky Sports 7.30pm

Good stuff, I for one enjoyed that and brought back memories of how meetings felt like for me in seventies & eighties , crowd obviously fully engaged. Well done to promotion, riders and the crowd.

• Like 4

At least not all elite league fans are snobs glad to see some enjoyed it rather than expect 20 passes per meeting.

There was some good close racing, ok not many passes but the weather played its part in that.

Cracking atmosphere which is the norm at the majority of premier league tracks ive been to (unfortunately my club Ipswich lack that) and a bumper crowd.

The doom merchants obviously expected more.

And whats wrong with Ayres celebrating?? We have a lack of characters in the sport now so good on him. Don't remember to many Poole fans moaning when Zetterstrom did his dancing!

Unfortunatly the elite snobs judge the premier league on a meeting on Monday on a hard track to pass with poor opposition and tonight on a weather affected track.

Seen plenty of dross on sky in the elite league!!

• Like 3

Agreed it wasn't the best match to watch, track was pretty slick and times were over a second slower than we usually have.

I'm obviously in the minority here. I enjoyed the meeting on Monday night (far better live than it was on TV). Also enjoyed the meeting tonight, the score was close until heat 14 and there was some good racing. You can go back through every meeting that has been on TV and on this forum you will see fans moaning. What was there not to like about the meeting tonight? A big crowd, plenty atmosphere, a close score. Certainly a lot of promotions could learn from the things Glasgow are doing to raise awareness of the sport. Yes, they have a big budget, but you can still promote the sport heavily by doing it smartly. And good to see they are getting their rewards with big crowds.

And just a word about Danny Ayres, it would be great to have more characters like him in the sport. At Berwick a couple of years ago we had Kozza Smith, if he won a race would jump off his bike at the start line and run back to the pits high-fiving the fans, they loved it.

Rest easy Elite League fans, we'll be back to the only league that provides decent racing next week ;-)

• Like 6

Vintage stuff from the Fish.

Deserved win for the tiggers.

Was closer than the scoreline suggests, but Fisher was immense tbh.

• Like 1

Wish I wasn't 5 hours away from Glasgow ,what a cracking atmosphere and most fans younger than me!

• Like 3

Certainly some big cojones on display tonight.

Some riding on and up the boards and some brutal moves.

But all seems to have been raced in good spirit.

Edited by TheScotsman
  • Like 3

Just back and the atmosphere tonight was brilliant . Okay the racing in the first half of the meeting was a bit follow the leader , but it did improve .

The turning point was the 5-1 in heat 11 . We were getting a wee bit concerned , only 2 points up at that point , and Masters looking very good . But he had the graveyard gate 1 in that heat , he did try to anticipate the start and messed it up and that really made the difference .

We were pretty solid throughout , Edinburgh didn't really have a lot to back up their heat leaders with .

Though Mark Riss got better with every race and Bewley has come on a lot since his first Ashfield outing .

But I really enjoyed being at a speedway meeting with that kind of atmosphere .

• Like 8

both teams played therte part

as tv speedway goes it wasnt bad meeting much better than monday and some of the elitte league stuff ive seen in the past

pleased it was close meeting made it more interesting

• Like 1

I enjoyed the meeting, you could see that the track wasn't at it's best, but all the riders just got on with it. The crowd were brilliant too! That's what a speedway stadium should sound like during a meeting.

What I'd give to have a PL team to support again :( Sure you don't get the 'big' stars, but the riders you do get seem committed and more importantly seem to actually enjoy their racing, rather going through the motions or taking it too seriously.

• Like 2

A Big away support have to be thanked for making it such an event. We did Scotland proud.

• Like 5

I agree with Wackie - the riders that were interviewed did seem like they were enjoying it, especially Ayres and Fish.

It was better tonight than Monday, but only because the promotion did a fine job of promoting the meeting.

Shame about the racing though. Non existent. Track looks hard to pass on. Too narrow. Early wet conditions didnt help but even later there wasnt much racing, just follow the leader.

Fans seemed to enjoy it and really if they are happy the promotion did its job. Shame about us neutrals on Sky who wanted some racing though.