British Speedway Forum

They manage not to have an interval when it suits their purpose. Did not need an interval until end of meeting at heat 13 when they had second halves.

Of course portaloos on centre green is an obvious option.

We know. Sometimes the poor staff have to hold it in or do without a drink when it suits as well.

Arn't you lucky..

Your point is ?

In the meantime, we still await a statement..

The point is everything - and I mean everything - should be done to put the paying customers needs first. Not after the promoters, or the track staffs, or the riders.

Far too many tracks put what their customers want below the needs of others and then wonder why they don't come back.

Without whom you wouldn't have a meeting remember, and most if not all come straight to the track from work and get stuck in, shame you have to begrudge them a loo break or/and a drink!!

Scunthorpe never have an interval. Do they have stronger bladders in Lincolnshire ?

As has most accurately been pointed out, when it suits intervals are dropped.

What you are saying is that your paying customer will be forced to stand around for 15 minutes in potentially freezing cold conditions getting bored, dispirited and fed up so the track staff can go to the can. This thread is full of people - quite rightly - complaining about unnecessary delay and yet you agree with it. That's extraordinary.

Ask yourself this. Is a person more likely to attend again if he isn't standing around getting cold or not ?

Ah, yes, but you are a woman, you're trained for this at your mother's knee. We blokes can always go behind a bush, so our bladders have never had to learn restraint.

Regarding track staff, aren't they mostly volunteer? If so, they'd come above both riders and spectators in my pecking order (P**ing order??).

You must surely be having a laugh.

Most are volunteers (I was). They also get to watch the meeting free and I am not aware of a track that has ever had a major problem recruiting them. I can certainly say that I have been to around 700 meetings across the country in the last 10 years or so and I have never known one postponed or delayed due to a shortage of track staff.

The paying customer comes first, every single time.

We as a sport are in a major danger of losing our beloved sport at Brandon and what do we resort to talking about getting caught short sorry if you feel hurt at my criticism but It just shows what sincere honest supporters have been driven to. Had enough p......d off with this sport best of luck to the cinders cause that's all that's left.

My apologies. You are absolutely right.

Thing is, though, is that the matter of unnecessary delay is extremely important right across the sport.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

In otherwords Interval.

So, no more news or statements. That name Leicester keeps cropping up. I do wonder how long they are going to drag this out for..

We should no by March

We should no by March

Hopefully long before then but if its good news March would be OK.

Part of the problem is the setting of deadlines. I am all for that, but you simply can't keep extending them. If there was a chance that the stadium would be saved but it was not clear at what point that would be sorted, no dead line should have been set.

The main point in this "interval or not" discussion is that all unnecessary delays need to be erased as soon as possible and this includes intervals ( 10 mins max. if essential ). At some tracks it's 20 minutes and even if you wanted a cup of something you could not get served in that time due to limited facilities. Fans ARE more important to tracks than any other aspect of speedway because if they continue "dropping like flies" from the terraces you won't need volunteers, riders or promoters. Fans needs and requests are feedback and that has been ignored more often than not by most promoters. Even simple things like " we can't hear well in this part of the stand" remain the same for years and that is not something that is expensive to remedy. Requests for feedback do not - in my experience - receive even a "thanks" email. It often feels as if the BSPA think - until recently- that the fans will always "just turn up". The most important part of what Buster said in his recent Chairman's announcement is about the budget allowing for much more and better marketing, because if that fails again to attract new fans then the fat Lady IS clearing her throat.

• Like 2

The main point in this "interval or not" discussion is that all unnecessary delays need to be erased as soon as possible and this includes intervals ( 10 mins max. if essential ). At some tracks it's 20 minutes and even if you wanted a cup of something you could not get served in that time due to limited facilities. Fans ARE more important to tracks than any other aspect of speedway because if they continue "dropping like flies" from the terraces you won't need volunteers, riders or promoters. Fans needs and requests are feedback and that has been ignored more often than not by most promoters. Even simple things like " we can't hear well in this part of the stand" remain the same for years and that is not something that is expensive to remedy. Requests for feedback do not - in my experience - receive even a "thanks" email. It often feels as if the BSPA think - until recently- that the fans will always "just turn up". The most important part of what Buster said in his recent Chairman's announcement is about the budget allowing for much more and better marketing, because if that fails again to attract new fans then the fat Lady IS clearing her throat.

Some very good points...

However...

You forgot to include the often reported view of many Promoters over the years of "if you don't turn up, it's YOUR fault when I close it down"...

Always the victims of circumstances, never their fault....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

I'm sure track staff would be delighted about going to the bogs with everyone watching :)

Hidden in full view!

From a personal point of view I have become less tolerant as I get older. Seeing as the vast majority of speedway fans seem to be in my age bracket, unnecessary delays are unacceptable to most of us. Despite footballs many failings, the sport runs like clockwork, which Makes it appealing to me.

• Like 1

I personally think common sense should come in to play with regards to intervals.

Do people who are against them think meetings should be over and done with whatever the weather, or just when it's cold.

I personally have no problem with intervals in the Summer months when it's lovely and warm, but at the start and end of the season when it's like the Antarctic at most open venues, they should get on with it as quickly as possible.

Common sense should be the order of the day. I certainly don't think track staff NEED a toilet break. We're talking a couple of hours here not half a day!

Go before the meeting starts and they shouldn't have a problem.

• Like 2

However...

You forgot to include the often reported view of many Promoters over the years of "if you don't turn up, it's YOUR fault when I close it down"...

Always the victims of circumstances, never their fault....

Somewhat ironic:

Does Peterborough want a speedway club? Falling Panthers gates suggest the answer may be no. There is a problem - there just aren’t enough people coming through the turnstiles and that is hitting finances hard. In a candid insight to the club’s current situation, Mick Horton admits he is subsidising Panthers on a weekly basis as attendances are falling 200 paying adults short of their break-even mark. It’s a plight he is working hard to address and one which can’t continue long-term as he calls for the backing of the Peterborough public (www.peterboroughtoday 2/4/14)

one of many down our way.

• Like 1

I personally think common sense should come in to play with regards to intervals.

Do people who are against them think meetings should be over and done with whatever the weather, or just when it's cold.

I personally have no problem with intervals in the Summer months when it's lovely and warm, but at the start and end of the season when it's like the Antarctic at most open venues, they should get on with it as quickly as possible.

Common sense should be the order of the day. I certainly don't think track staff NEED a toilet break. We're talking a couple of hours here not half a day!

Go before the meeting starts and they shouldn't have a problem.

When it is bl##dy cold, and it often is at Swindon Stadium, the meeting needs to be rushed through as there is nothing worse than standing around in the cold wind watching the gardening going on or restarts because one rider got away at the tapes.

As far as toilet visits or wanting to get a cup of tea staff can pop off to the loo, a couple at a time, when the tractors carry out their racing

• Like 2

When it is bl##dy cold, and it often is at Swindon Stadium, the meeting needs to be rushed through as there is nothing worse than standing around in the cold wind watching the gardening going on or restarts because one rider got away at the tapes.

As far as toilet visits or wanting to get a cup of tea staff can pop off to the loo, a couple at a time, when the tractors carry out their racing

Swindon can be colder than the mother-in-laws glare

• Like 1

They manage not to have an interval when it suits their purpose. Did not need an interval until end of meeting at heat 13 when they had second halves.

Of course portaloos on centre green is an obvious option.

I do hope thats a tongue in cheek comment.. :o

The point is everything - and I mean everything - should be done to put the paying customers needs first. Not after the promoters, or the track staffs, or the riders.

What you are saying is that your paying customer will be forced to stand around for 15 minutes in potentially freezing cold conditions getting bored, dispirited and fed up so the track staff can go to the can. This thread is full of people - quite rightly - complaining about unnecessary delay and yet you agree with it. That's extraordinary.

You must surely be having a laugh.

Most are volunteers (I was). They also get to watch the meeting free and I am not aware of a track that has ever had a major problem recruiting them. I can certainly say that I have been to around 700 meetings across the country in the last 10 years or so and I have never known one postponed or delayed due to a shortage of track staff.

The paying customer comes first, every single time.

My apologies. You are absolutely right.

Thing is, though, is that the matter of unnecessary delay is extremely important right across the sport.

Track staff cannot leave the track untill the interval, im glad your bladder is strong . I believe you was a volunteer so you would know that., never said what you did tho.

No doubt you wasnt a red flag man and a raker.

Edited by Starman2006

Ever seen a meeting by (The men in Black) I think I've got the name right . as the Heats Finish the pit gate are opened and out come the next 4 It hardly gives you time to fill in you programme TERRIFIC ON A COLD NIGHT.

Ever seen a meeting by (The men in Black) I think I've got the name right . as the Heats Finish the pit gate are opened and out come the next 4 It hardly gives you time to fill in you programme TERRIFIC ON A COLD NIGHT.

They had a meeting at Swindon when they had about 30+ heats and the riders for the next heat were out on the track before the four from the previous heat had left it. If someone went to the loo they missed three heats, so it can be done if the weather is very cold or there is a threat of rain.

I would prefer the meeting to crack on and then run a second half if the demand warrants it.