British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Full credit to CH for making a stand, a Rider is just a piece of meat to a Promoter, injure it, and just replace it.

The junior riders in the Team have no voice, so it's up to Riders like Chris to make a stand.

Seem to remember his terrible injuries were caused by a dodgy air fence, which Riders were led to believe we're safe, but had a terrible design fault.

Well i think there is still a design fault because riders are still going under the air fence sometimes. Probably a combination of that crash and Darcy has made him look at the sport differently.

You're missing the point here completely. Thursday night wasn't about Chris Holder, it wasn't about Troy Batchelor nor the track It was about the fans who believed for the first time in years we had a chance of putting one over our greatest rivals. Following on from a convincing away win the previous night, this was a wonderful opportunity to make a massive statement of intent. Beating teams like Poole is a terrific ego boost. The track wasn't good, I've seen far worse. but the attitude of C. Holder left nobody in any doubt he wasn't prepared to ride and therefore give the whole emphasis back to Poole. He never gave one thought to the fans who had spent their money to be there, Nor to what they wanted. All he was concerned about was his own feelings. Having convinced Batchelor to withhold his services they try to convince the rest, but failed miserably.

We the fans, had to wait around for over an hour while Buster did his best to get the track racable. Not knowing then, that neither Aussie would be returning and hence gifting the league points to Poole. Had the supporters knew this, do you honestly feel they would have waited all night to see the remaining races with only half a team. Be real.

No, as per usual the supporters were treated like mushrooms. It feels like nobody gives a damn of what the supporters feel. Holder and Batch's attitude was unacceptable. Ok the track was bad but to withhold their services need to be penalised. Losing to me has never been a problem, Have to say, we at Lynn are use to it by now. Honestly, Integrity, Endeavour and Commitment means everything. Lose if we have to, but lose with pride....

For 50 years I have supported the Stars, paid my money, and enjoyed the Downs as well as the Ups. I have visited most track in the country and met some wonderful people. But after Thursday, I made a decision not to go to another meeting, ....... While the likes of Holder or Batchelor are part of our team,,,,,,,, I would pay to watch lesser riders too....

Never have I seen such contempt shown to the fans as I did last Thursday....

But as to the case in hand. No one has managed to beat Nicki Pedersen's track record of 57.6 set on 11th September 2002. Last Thursday we had a time of 58.06 set in heat 3 by Robert Lambert. My reaction was the usual, "The tracks too fast. We won't see good racing tonight". In the very next race we had the sight of a senior home rider, "flat tanking it" and finally "retiring". You tell me. If I see quality home riders setting (almost) record times and others giving up, what am I to think?

My conclusion? Sometimes you have to attack the conditions that are put in front of you. If the track had been over watered or there was rain (beyond the Peter Kaye spitting) I might have a different view. The reaction from me and many home fans around me was "Get on with it". The impact of this debacle will certainly hit KL's income. Given the critical state of many track's profitability, it could end speedway at KL altogether.

You spoke in more detail than I, but I could have written your post.

As a neutral last Thursday I came away disillusioned. What the home fans thought was more explicit.

Full credit to CH for making a stand

You're in a very small minority from what I witnessed last Thursday

• Like 3

You're missing the point here completely. Thursday night wasn't about Chris Holder, it wasn't about Troy Batchelor nor the track It was about the fans who believed for the first time in years we had a chance of putting one over our greatest rivals. Following on from a convincing away win the previous night, this was a wonderful opportunity to make a massive statement of intent. Beating teams like Poole is a terrific ego boost. The track wasn't good, I've seen far worse. but the attitude of C. Holder left nobody in any doubt he wasn't prepared to ride and therefore give the whole emphasis back to Poole. He never gave one thought to the fans who had spent their money to be there, Nor to what they wanted. All he was concerned about was his own feelings. Having convinced Batchelor to withhold his services they try to convince the rest, but failed miserably.

We the fans, had to wait around for over an hour while Buster did his best to get the track racable. Not knowing then, that neither Aussie would be returning and hence gifting the league points to Poole. Had the supporters knew this, do you honestly feel they would have waited all night to see the remaining races with only half a team. Be real.

No, as per usual the supporters were treated like mushrooms. It feels like nobody gives a damn of what the supporters feel. Holder and Batch's attitude was unacceptable. Ok the track was bad but to withhold their services need to be penalised. Losing to me has never been a problem, Have to say, we at Lynn are use to it by now. Honestly, Integrity, Endeavour and Commitment means everything. Lose if we have to, but lose with pride....

For 50 years I have supported the Stars, paid my money, and enjoyed the Downs as well as the Ups. I have visited most track in the country and met some wonderful people. But after Thursday, I made a decision not to go to another meeting, ....... While the likes of Holder or Batchelor are part of our team,,,,,,,, I would pay to watch lesser riders too....

Never have I seen such contempt shown to the fans as I did last Thursday....

that is a top post absolutely spot on I'd email it to the club if I was you - but then they won't listen.
  • Like 2

Full credit to CH for making a stand, a Rider is just a piece of meat to a Promoter, injure it, and just replace it.

The junior riders in the Team have no voice, so it's up to Riders like Chris to make a stand.

Seem to remember his terrible injuries were caused by a dodgy air fence, which Riders were led to believe we're safe, but had a terrible design fault.

I do agree with this, as I always say, it's their bodies, their bikes, their lives .... nobody can argue against that .....

I do agree with this, as I always say, it's their bodies, their bikes, their lives .... nobody can argue against that .....

I wondered about CH's commitment this year. He nearly lost a point in my estimation for that.

He disappeared off the bottom of my scale last Thursday.

So yes, I can argue with that.

• Like 5

. It's my money I spent to watch the riders race. And they refused. So I can argue with that.
  • Like 7

They sign a contract.If he don't want to ride for Lynn and Poole could fit him in on a bargain average!!

He in effect broke that contract by withholding his services.Well that's how I see it.Am I wrong?

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

It's fair enough for riders to be asked their opinion of the track if there are problems/weather issues etc but in my opinion it should be down to the Referee to call off a meeting if there are problems. There are 14 riders at each meeting and they could all find different issues relating the track that is not to their individual like/style of riding, you can't please all of the riders all of the time if you try to do that there would be no speedway meetings anywhere. Yes it is a dangerous sport but the riders themselves signed up to it no one forced them so they should accept that it is up to the Officials to run the meeting and it is the riders job to ride. After travelling and paying to see a Speedway meeting that is what most fans want to see.

• Like 3

no real surprise there then .

Well it seems twelve other riders did last Thursday night. Maybe they didn't have bodies and bikes :P

Holder's been given a 28 day ban. What did he even do? It's Batchelor who walked out.

Holder's been given a 28 day ban. What did he even do? It's Batchelor who walked out.

As far as I'm aware, it's for withholding his services by refusing to ride. As for Batchelor, he was injured (apparently)

Rode for Swindon the next day OK though :D

Edited by Perton Wolf
  • Like 2

But Batch had an injury, so the medic would have had to had signed him out in order for the club to use irr.

• Like 2

Batchelor was withdrawn,Holder witheld his services.