British Speedway Forum

Unfortunately with the current format of the World Cup we never really know where GB are in speedways pecking order. For the last 5 years the draw has been such that we have been either seeded to the final or had to beat 1 team only ( Australia ) to reach the Final and all on home soil every year. This year emphasised it even further than beating a patched up Aussie team on a one line gate and go track was not a passport to World success. The mutual backslapping on this forum after Kings Lynn was replaced rapidly by the doom and gloom after Leszno. What did we learn the Weekend, not much . For one we have no World class riders apart from Woffinden and secondly we do not have the machinery able to compete at this level, we made some good starts on Saturday only to be passed inside and out by quicker, better riders. I have said in an earlier post I would have much prefered us in the race off against similar standard opposition, I feel our young riders would have got more benefit. Whats the answer, well the World Cup doesn't look like changing , Poland and GB as the biggest markets will always get a home round or the Final, I do feel our riders would benefit from the SEC and the pairs, although to do this you would have to give up your doubling up with too many weekend fixtures missed. As for the World Cup please BSI seed the hosts to the race off in future. I was in Leszno the weekend and the crowd for the race off was poor, Also lets have a fairer balance between event 1 and 2 . Every year 1 round is far stronger than the other and on tracks worthy of the event. Thankfully Leszno provided a fitting venue with plenty of lines with good racing. Congratulations Poland, 4 World class riders all 25 and under

I don't think think there can be that much difference in the machinery they weren't smashing track records every race,just think they are better riders with different attitudes to where they want to be in in the sport.British riders will find it hard to break into the sport in Poland because the older riders are not good enough.Its a catch 22 for them, Cook has already said before that he can't afford Poland and nothing has changed,he earns good money in GB though.Very difficult for him in this situation,he has improved over the last couple of seasons but how does he get recognised if he is going to be inconsistent at Top Level everyone knows one bad meeting and your dropped.No easy answers IMO .I still think Lambert is a talent and will break through.He is showing up well in lower Polish division.
  • Like 1

Again where was this WCF held ?

If it had been held at King's Lynn the result would likely have been the same except we would probably have secured the Bronze medal. Again if it had been held at the NSS very possibly the same. But we are not going to have the final very often and therefore not get a medal very often without T.W.

If it had been held at King's Lynn the result would likely have been the same except we would probably have secured the Bronze medal. Again if it had been held at the NSS very possibly the same. But we are not going to have the final very often and therefore not get a medal very often without T.W.

'the result would likely have been the same except we would probably have secured the Bronze medal'

So not the same but not the same.

Not heard that as a reason for Tai not racing. Poland have more riders to choose from than any country nowadays, the kids go to speedway school, the tracks are available ALL of the time to all their riders. Poland were practicing for a fortnight on the Leszno track before the final weren't they? How can we compete with that? Our set up is completely different. We have our leagues to bring on our boys and the Poultec courses which is helping some of them.

Robert Lambert is doing his Polish apprenticeship in their 3rd division and it's going well, no doubt he will try to move up next year, good luck to him

IT is well known that one of the reasons Woffinden won't race for Team GB is because he doesn't agree with the appointment of Alun Rossiter as manager. He is not alone. Alun talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

Now while I accept that riders shouldn't dictate who should or should not be manager I might think that the BSPA, when appointing the manager, would make sure they were aware of the feelings off the riders and especially their only world class performer.

Tai wanted a more professional approach to the British team off the track and while some of his demands, including commercial ownership of the team, were never going to happen others could and should have been accommodated. Tai demanded his own level of professionalism not only from his team-mates, which he would have got, but from the management team as well and that simply wasn't forthcoming.

• Like 3

PHILIPRISING, on 12 Jul 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

IT is well known that one of the reasons Woffinden won't race for Team GB is because he doesn't agree with the appointment of Alun Rossiter as manager. He is not alone. Alun talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

Now while I accept that riders shouldn't dictate who should or should not be manager I might think that the BSPA, when appointing the manager, would make sure they were aware of the feelings off the riders and especially their only world class performer.

Tai wanted a more professional approach to the British team off the track and while some of his demands, including commercial ownership of the team, were never going to happen others could and should have been accommodated. Tai demanded his own level of professionalism not only from his team-mates, which he would have got, but from the management team as well and that simply wasn't forthcoming.

if this is true and I have no reason to doubt it then Rossiters position is unsustainable.

A significant quote from Patryck Dudek: “On the Friday, we stayed in the hotel with the whole team and we all were talking all the time. The atmosphere was perfect this year in Leszno. Everything was good, very organised and we spent time with the boys. We got a good result – the gold medal.”

Edited by PHILIPRISING

A significant quote from Patryck Dudek: On the Friday, we stayed in the hotel with the whole team and we all were talking all the time. The atmosphere was perfect this year in Leszno. Everything was good, very organised and we spent time with the boys. We got a good result the gold medal.[/quote

A significant quote from Patryck Dudek: On the Friday, we stayed in the hotel with the whole team and we all were talking all the time. The atmosphere was perfect this year in Leszno. Everything was good, very organised and we spent time with the boys. We got a good result the gold medal.

Equally significant was an observation I made when Berwick hosted a World U21 round a few years back.

While the Polish riders present spent a very long time discussing lines to ride (together as a group) as they walked around the track, analysing various angles to enter and exit the bends, the British contingent kicked the shale a bit and were too busy talking to themselves as they walked around in 5 minutes, hardly even looking at the track itself.

It's all in the preparation... Or lack of.

Edited by stewmac
  • Like 1

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the official final day practice at belle vue in 2016 and I observed all the teams and managers in action the poles were very professional and went about there business sharing information and talking a lot to each other and marek cieslak had a stop watch and timed all his riders while they were on track,but interestingly, he also timed all the other riders in the other teams I did not see this level of professionalism in any of the other teams including team gb

• Like 1

True, I'd also say that what you do with the 23 hours 59 minutes off the bike is massively more important than the minute on the bike. ie eating, fitness , lifestyle

• Like 1

who was part of the Team GB 'staff' this year ?

I remember seeing Chris Louis in the pits a lot but that was about it.

A significant quote from Patryck Dudek: “On the Friday, we stayed in the hotel with the whole team and we all were talking all the time. The atmosphere was perfect this year in Leszno. Everything was good, very organised and we spent time with the boys. We got a good result – the gold medal.”

How is this significant? I assume that you are indicating here that the Team GB build up was very different. If so, how?

I wonder where Rosco took the boys this year. McDonalds, or Burger King, or simply didn't bother at all?

The result was there for all to see. GB were an embarrassing shambles in that final, with our chance of a bronze medal disappearing when our 30-year-old captain was beaten by a 17-year-old Russian kid.

Russian tracked only one rider who anyone had heard of before the World Cup. And still beat us.

Time to try something different. Let Woffy have a go with his five-year-plan.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I wonder where Rosco took the boys this year. McDonalds, or Burger King, or simply didn't bother at all?

The result was there for all to see. GB were an embarrassing shambles in that final, with our chance of a bronze medal disappearing when our 30-year-old captain was beaten by a 17-year-old Russian kid.

Russian tracked only one rider who anyone had heard of before the World Cup. And still beat us.

Time to try something different. Let Woffy have a go with his five-year-plan.

All the best

Rob

Well, on Saturday at King's Lynn before the SWC meeting a GB rider was in the local McDonald's smashing a burger and chips