British Speedway Forum

SS is a great read during the season and covers the results World Wide ,the moaners on her don't even buy on a weekly basis( there prerogative)yet tell you how poor it is !!!!.I enjoy it all the year round it is a good casual read in the winter months.Subscription makes it a value for money magazine comparing it with other publications.

• Like 1

Your postie is talking garbage.

Quite possibly but since I complained (a few years ago) my copy has arrived pretty much on time every week, so clearly something changed.

Edited by bigcatdiary

SS is a great read during the season and covers the results World Wide ,the moaners on her don't even buy on a weekly basis( there prerogative)yet tell you how poor it is !!!!.I enjoy it all the year round it is a good casual read in the winter months.Subscription makes it a value for money magazine comparing it with other publications.

That can only be an opinion and not a fact.

Exactly the same with my argument - it is only my opinion.

I believe that I read the Magazine enough to make a judgement for my own benefit.

I am aware and accept that not everyone agrees with me. That is fine by me. :t:

That can only be an opinion and not a fact.

Exactly the same with my argument - it is only my opinion.

I believe that I read the Magazine enough to make a judgement for my own benefit.

I am aware and accept that not everyone agrees with me. That is fine by me. :t:

Ok.where did I say it was a fact!As usual you read to much into a Post and give your opinion(which you are entitled too) Edited by Fromafar

Ok.where did I say it was a fact!As usual you read to much into a Post and give your opinion(which you are entitled too)

Which in most issues is negative, but he still thinks he is a speedway fan.

• Like 1

Quite possibly but since I complained (a few years ago) my copy has arrived pretty much on time every week, so clearly something changed.

Yeh, you was in when it was delivered... :D

With the number of people regularly watching speedway these days it is a minor miracle that the sport even has a weekly magazine, let alone one as good as Speedway Star. The various comments on here show that you are never going to please everybody all the time. One person's favorite feature is another person's pet peeve.

Personally, I love the behind the scenes features and the stats. I have zero interest in what happened in the 1940's and 1950's and the grasstrack scene but I realize that other people like those features. I love to be able to download it to my ipad, but others prefer to have the magazine in their hand.

I think that it would be a very sad day if the Star disappeared. We should enjoy it while we can. I am sure that Philip Rising and co are happy to take on any constructive criticism, but the negativity towards the Star is astounding.

• Like 5

Ok.where did I say it was a fact!As usual you read to much into a Post and give your opinion(which you are entitled too)

You didn't.

Sorry if I upset you with my views - that was not my intention hence the smiley.

My only real issue with the Star is the coverage of grasstrack racing, does anyone know how many readers are interested in this discipline of oval sport. Not knocking it at all, I have been to grass & sandtrack meets but the mag is the Speedway Star not Speedway & Grasstrack Star. Surely grass & sand racing would be better suited to, say, Motorcycle news. E.g. years ago there was a tabloid paper format publication, much like Speedway Mail, called Trials & Motocross News, dunno whether it's still published. Oh how newsagents would try to palm that one onto me as they couldn't be bothered searching for my 'Star or 'Mail. "But it's still motorbikes" used to be their last plea before the trouble of needing to look under the counter.

Also with the grasstrack coverage taking time out until the new year I'd like the 'Star to cover the amateur scene. Ok it's 'only' amateur guys & galls, but you do get some real competitive racing, there are fewer spills than you might imagine and this is where the next MDL, NJL, National league, etc riders will likely originate. The amateur scene is well worth a look as it's free entry, it is at Scunny, and it's a joy to behold how they rattle though 60+ heats in 4 hours....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

My only real issue with the Star is the coverage of grasstrack racing, does anyone know how many readers are interested in this discipline of oval sport. Not knocking it at all, I have been to grass & sandtrack meets but the mag is the Speedway Star not Speedway & Grasstrack Star. Surely grass & sand racing would be better suited to, say, Motorcycle news. E.g. years ago there was a tabloid paper format publication, much like Speedway Mail, called Trials & Motocross News, dunno whether it's still published. Oh how newsagents would try to palm that one onto me as they couldn't be bothered searching for my 'Star or 'Mail. "But it's still motorbikes" used to be their last plea before the trouble of needing to look under the counter.

Also with the grasstrack coverage taking time out until the new year I'd like the 'Star to cover the amateur scene. Ok it's 'only' amateur guys & galls, but you do get some real competitive racing, there are fewer spills than you might imagine and this is where the next MDL, NJL, National league, etc riders will likely originate. The amateur scene is well worth a look as it's free entry, it is at Scunny, and it's a joy to behold how they rattle though 60+ heats in 4 hours....

What is the actual casual spectator attendance at these amateur meetings - not those who are involved with or are related to a family member who is competing?

I support the 'Speedway Star' coverage of grass track racing. It is 'very closely related' to speedway in the bikes used and many of the riders who race at grass track meetings both in the UK and Europe are well known to speedway supporters. The same applies to long track racing, flat track racing and ice racing.

IMO the 'Speedway Star' has it correct in its coverage of the various types of track racing.

Edited by Guest

I would say this is often the speedway fan view.As i posted on the Superprestigio thread,Flat track was tried out alongside speedway/Longtrack and a lot f fans cried out that they didn't want to be spending money watching it,rather if there was going to be more races,then please,more speedway.Guess it is the same with the Speedway Star,that fans don't want cycle speedway or flat track or now grasstrack taking up any space.Must say when i got the Star i didn't begrudge the Grasstrack section,i just thought it was poorly presented when compared to the speedway sections

I would say this is often the speedway fan view.As i posted on the Superprestigio thread,Flat track was tried out alongside speedway/Longtrack and a lot f fans cried out that they didn't want to be spending money watching it,rather if there was going to be more races,then please,more speedway.Guess it is the same with the Speedway Star,that fans don't want cycle speedway or flat track or now grasstrack taking up any space.Must say when i got the Star i didn't begrudge the Grasstrack section,i just thought it was poorly presented when compared to the speedway sections

Agree with that. At least with Grasstrack it does include some names of current or past riders within their reports. If the grass track fraternity buy the SS, it can only help the circulation figures and our magazines viability.

Interestingly, the Speedway Star and News used to contain Ice Hockey News, so that combination would have been helpful to us, even though there would not have been a cross over element.

• Like 1

Agree with that. At least with Grasstrack it does include some names of current or past riders within their reports. If the grass track fraternity buy the SS, it can only help the circulation figures and our magazines viability.

Interestingly, the Speedway Star and News used to contain Ice Hockey News, so that combination would have been helpful to us, even though there would not have been a cross over element.

When Oxford re-introduced an Ice Hockey team (1984) it was surprising how many speedway fans attended. It was a way of keeping in touch during the winter months...and good entertainment it was too!

Some fair points, least it got everyone talking about it. I do read the grsstrack section, seen as I read the Star from cover to cover and back again, but pretty much skim through it unless speedway names are involved. It just isn't my top soprt. In some of the amateur events at Scunny they have flatrack section and road bikes. Indeed the one event I took my father to; last oval action Hull Angels 1949. (Ok he saw some beach racing with me at Filey, East Yorkshire in the late 1970's but 1949 sounds good). I finally wore him down and his interest was sparked purely by the varied bikes on dsiplay. But he throughly enjoyed it, talking my brother's ear off about it for ages, he enjoyed the speedway bikes too and will defo be back next year, maybe I could tempt him into attending a pukka speedway meet...

Edited by Martin Mauger

In the late 1950s I was a keen ice hockey fan and used to watch the Harringay Racers and Wembley Monarchs (the clubs also had teams Harringay Racers and Wembley Lions). Most of the ice hockey supporters were also follows of the Harringay and Wembley speedway teams.

Also in the late 1950s the Speedway Star besides its ice hockey coverage also catered for sidecar racing, midget car racing, films and records!

Edited by Guest