British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

That was the same with Mick Hines.Really didn't want to come to Wimbledon,but probably had his best seasons there.Really rose to the job

• Like 1

I think it was the same with Tony Lomas he struggled at Leicester and upped his game when he got his move to Exeter.Also didnt they also try to force Ole to go to Hull and he refused the offer.

Three 'self inflicted' main issues which decimate crowds..

'Select Teams' can never engender the emotional loyalty needed to follow 'your local team' which is so important in team sports, therefore fans will often give these far too numerous 'contrived' meetings with zero credibilty a wide swerve..

Teams losing at home quickly sees crowds drop. All supposedly start relatively equal but very quickly one maybe two get cut completely adrift and damage not only their own business but the business of the other teams in the league when they ride away...

However, instead of being able to strengthen up properly to match the top teams of that season that have emerged, they have to use a half arsed system to try and improve themselves, and invariably replace riders to do nothing but effectively stand still, staying both cut adrift and a continuing 'brand' liability..

And finally running a disjointed fixture list for the benefit of the riders rather than running meetings at opportune times to maximise the crowd levels is a killer if you want to run British Speedway successfully..

Entertainment level and VFM is very subjective so may or may not impact crowd levels dependent on what your view is, however....

These three self inflicted issues definitely do 100% effect attendances negatively, but surely it's not beyond the capability of those in charge to undo the nonsense that has led to these issues going a long way in ruining the sport..?

Fix them I would suggest and it can only make a positive difference to attendances..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 9

I'd like very much to agree with you but that isn't correct. Winning counts spectacularly for some - one or two home defeats and they are leaving in droves and the quality of the speedway really doesn't matter.

Berwick is one example. Apparently the racing is better than ever but a couple of home losses and big gates are now down to 350. Scunthorpe is the other. In my view, the best racing track in the country but their gates are poor, almost certainly because of their home record.

What HT - better than Belle Vue? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think fans aren't interested in one-sided matches, these 60 plus v.20 plus scores. All 3 matches I've seen this year have been exciting last heat deciders.

Contrived by Double Points no doubt.

'Select Teams' can never engender the emotional loyalty needed to follow 'your local team' which is so important in team sports, therefore fans will often give these far too numerous 'contrived' meetings with zero credibilty a wide swerve..

Teams losing at home quickly sees crowds drop. All supposedly start relatively equal but very quickly one maybe two get cut completely adrift and damage not only their own business but the business of the other teams in the league when they ride away...

However, instead of being able to strengthen up properly to match the top teams of that season that have emerged, they have to use a half arsed system to try and improve themselves, and invariably replace riders to do nothing but effectively stand still, staying both cut adrift and a continuing 'brand' liability..

And finally running a disjointed fixture list for the benefit of the riders rather than running meetings at opportune times to maximise the crowd levels is a killer if you want to run British Speedway successfully..

Entertainment level and VFM is very subjective so may or may not impact crowd levels dependent on what your view is, however....

The three self inflicted issues definitely do 100% effect attendances negatively, but surely it's not beyond the capability of those in charge to undo the nonsense that has lead to these issues going a long way in ruining the sport..?

Fix them I would suggest and it can only make a positive difference to attendances..

Good post, fully agree .

I saw decent meetings on the island and lakeside this week, watched by very poor crowds. I hope tonight's match at eastbourne will be better.

About 300 at IOW, I thought. That's below break even but there are two positives : its probably double what it was last year at this time and speedway at Smallbrook has always been very seasonal.

Yes, I'd say so. Close, though.

These three self inflicted issues definitely do 100% effect attendances negatively, but surely it's not beyond the capability of those in charge to undo the nonsense that has lead to these issues going a long way in ruining the sport..?

Completely agree.

The only thing I would say is that if Scunthorpe's racing wasn't so good they would have closed down. I'd have a guess and say that a big chunk of the crowd just go there for the quality of the speedway.

About 300 at IOW, I thought. That's below break even but there are two positives : its probably double what it was last year at this time and speedway at Smallbrook has always been very seasonal.

Yes, I'd say so. Close, though.

Completely agree.

The only thing I would say is that if Scunthorpe's racing wasn't so good they would have closed down. I'd have a guess and say that a big chunk of the crowd just go there for the quality of the speedway.

Which makes it even more frustrating HT..

The racing at Scunthorpe is superb and those 'aficionados' watching will undoubtedly put this first, and turn up every week. .

Sadly, the rest of the bollox that British Speedway self inflicts on its competitions will undoubtedly take away from what Scunny has to offer...

Credibility and integrity of the competition should be the minimum expectation of a Speedway fan. ....

A superb race track with great racing on it then should be the icing on the cake...

Edited by mikebv

if 300 is the norm for NL, 5-700 for Ch and 9-1200 for prem thats what clubs should budget for

we keep expecting miracles re crowds year after year - its time for some serious financial management and if it has to be become amateur or semi pro so be it. You can't argue with numbers.

a massive publicity campaign might help but nobody will pay for it

if 300 is the norm for NL, 5-700 for Ch and 9-1200 for prem thats what clubs should budget for

we keep expecting miracles re crowds year after year - its time for some serious financial management and if it has to be become amateur or semi pro so be it. You can't argue with numbers.

Personally I feel that the sport should be moving towards becoming amateur in principle. Even during the last 'Golden Age' riders often had jobs outside the sport (excepting the stars). Too many riders expect to make a living from the sport nowadays and the numbers just don't add up.

• Like 3

Only 1 was. 3 excellent meetings, and 2000 plus crowds for the Abbey meetings. Considering the whiney whiners are saying " I ain't gonna go no more coz they avent built a new stadium", the crowds have been good. Regardless you have to stand on a grass bank looking through a fence in an outdated stadium.

Belle Vue's crowds have shown a big increase. Still agree that eventually there should be one big league. League speedway will always survive in one form or other, always has.

• Like 1

Only 1 was. 3 excellent meetings, and 2000 plus crowds for the Abbey meetings. Considering the whiney whiners are saying " I ain't gonna go no more coz they avent built a new stadium", the crowds have been good. Regardless you have to stand on a grass bank looking through a fence in an outdated stadium.

Belle Vue's crowds have shown a big increase. Still agree that eventually there should be one big league. League speedway will always survive in one form or other, always has.

That's basically a meaningless statement unless you can qualify with actual figures IMO.

Personally I feel that the sport should be moving towards becoming amateur in principle. Even during the last 'Golden Age' riders often had jobs outside the sport (excepting the stars). Too many riders expect to make a living from the sport nowadays and the numbers just don't add up.

It's a catch 22 though. When Speedway was a well publicised and popular sports companies would employ riders and give them the time off that they needed. Now that just isn't going to happen, it is very difficult for a youngster to find a job now that allows time off for Speedway. For most it comes down to self employment if possible or working off season. In all fairness very few riders make their living out of Speedway, the majority do something else at least off season.

I dont have the actual figures actually why not do some research?

That's basically a meaningless statement unless you can qualify with actual figures IMO.

I dont have the actual figures actually why not do some research?

Why should I research on a claim that you made in regard to Belle Vue attendances?

Kent usually push for a 1000, I would say we had excess of that last Monday despite the whole of Kent suffering heavy rain.

Probably only be 300-400 for the pairs meeting this Monday, but the line up is not exciting and we only get 12 races for the reduced rate of a tenner entry.