British Speedway Forum

Recent events at Kings Lynn had me wondering who have been the best team-men in speedway, the kind who take the lead and give it a go no matter what the conditions, ride through injuries etc, and on the other hand the prima Donna's who tend to just turn it on when they feel like it.

Can two teams of 7 be found?

I will start by nominating the one and only Chris Harris as captain of Team Men.

• Like 2

Kenny Carter would be ready to race, whatever the conditions, I imagine Nigel Boocock was the same.

• Like 1

The old Belle Vue team with Peter Collins and i think Chris Morton had a reputation of not liking wet conditions and got into trouble at least once.Then again PC rode on the very edge,so if conditions weren't great he was probably in more danger than most

Pete Munday of Swindon was very good in the wet and Dag Lovaas.

Pete almost unbeatable around The Abbey in the wet.

Dag Lovaas.

Good call.He used to train on ice in the winter,so was used to tricky surfaces

• Like 1

As a general rule of thumb (I'm sure exceptions can be found), riders with a grasstracking background don't often seem overly concerned about the state of shale.

• Like 3

Good call.He used to train on ice in the winter,so was used to tricky surfaces

He was superb in the Mike Keen testimonial that has to be one of the wettest meetings i have ever seen the 83 BLRC was another one horrendous conditions.
  • Like 1

He was superb in the Mike Keen testimonial that has to be one of the wettest meetings i have ever seen the 83 BLRC was another one horrendous conditions.

Yes I was there Sid...he was simply out on his own that day! Great stylist and i presented him with a bottle of champagne at Oxford's final meeting in 1975!

Neil Collins, a proper master in the rain..

Never had the machinery to match the top riders but on a wet track where technique, bravery, natural talent and throttle control were the key determinants rather than horsepower he could be fantastic..

• Like 2

Neil Collins, a proper master in the rain..

Never had the machinery to match the top riders but on a wet track where technique, bravery, natural talent and throttle control were the key determinants rather than horsepower he could be fantastic..

What was the reason for the red hanky he always wore , superstition I suppose ?

Think picking rider's from years gone by you could say they were all men.

I think from the modern era (2010+) it's not very easy to pick a rider who would happily put themselves on the line regardless of conditions...

These guys are still nutters but compared with yesteryear these modern day riders are wee boys

• Like 3

Early signs of dementia

Yes I was there Sid...he was simply out on his own that day! Great stylist and i presented him with a bottle of champagne at Oxford's final meeting in 1975!

Steve i can remember Dag smashing his face up badly( got photograph) i think it was a WC European Final championship round??? he still qualified for the Gothenburg world final in 74. Edited by Sidney the robin

Steve i can remember Dag smashing his face up badly( got photograph) i think it was a WC European championship round??? he still qualified for the Gothenburg world final in 74.

Don't remember that Sid but I do recall Dag saying that he wished that the track for the 1974 Final had been wet during the actual meeting (it had rained prior and if I recall jet engines were placed on the track to help dry it out?) as he felt that he would have made more of an impression.

I know one Rider who was/is happy to ride in the wet and that is Hans Andersen.

He went out and showed a Team of Riders (one who was an England International), on SKY Television, who were refusing to ride the Track a few years ago how it could/should be done. Sadly I can't remember where it was though.