British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Only one person to blame, and that's the dumbarse Promoters who pay out more than they can afford, all in the name of winning a piece of silver/plastic ware.

Don't blame the riders or tuners, nobody makes a Promoter pay the stupid deals they are signing up to.

As one multiple World Champion said to me, they don't have to agree to my deal.

My first job in sales many decades ok was with a manufacturing company who went about their business as a sales company. Ive subsequently worked for or with manufacturing companies how conduct business as a manufacturer and whilst they have a marketing and sales operation the general feeling is if we make it people will use it and more often than not they never realise the companies true potential.

Rob Godfrey recently said in The Star that he would be happy with 500 punters. 500! If you think your product is a 500 customer product your bolloxed. Sell it to get more in.

We need to recapture market share and IMO we have the product to do it. We need to iron out these basic niggles that we fans are constantly bringing up. Youve got free market research here, use it.

If promotions havent worked in the past, why not and how can it be improved. Why are some clubs more successful than others and why cant it be replicated across the board. There just seems this malaise that its a bit rubbish isnt it.

People running successful businesses seem to leave their business brains at home once they take charge of a club. Did people just wander in of the street to buy off these companies or was the brand sold and marketed?

Treat your customers right and they will do some of the selling for you. Grab their data and use it for marketing. Set targets. Be a business.

Never let a customer walk away. It would help your mindset if you started to refer to us as customers instead of fans.

Selling has been done with other forms of leisure activities including other sports so why not our, and I mean why not ours? There must be quantifiable reasons that can serve as a spring board for moving forward. A problem is just an opportunity if handled correctly.

Ive had all the excuses in the book as to why sales are down or why an area is failing and a large percentage are just that, excuses. Come up with a work around and get things moving, dont use it as a reason to do nothing.

If clubs really think they cannot get another 1000 spectators through the gate to top up what we have and thus make JC stats add up then we are in a poor state.

Nowadays £225k to £250k a year new business sales target is low for a jobbing salesman in any given area. Its got to be achievable, it must be.

We dont need to dumb down.....again.

• Like 1

but you have a massive divide within the sport, and all the time there are conflicts at the top there's no moving forward

Nutshell: I worked in sales once and was told very early on if folk are pleased with whatever they buy, (from baked beans to cars to sport) they will tell 5 others how great it is. If they are in any way unhappy, they will tell at least 15 how rubbish it is.....

• Like 4

Been in sales most of my life, If you have what people want, you have a chance, if you don't have what people want, then you can pretty soon become a target for 'cant pay ? we'll take it away'

Speedway as a product is basically good ( its been around a lot of years) ..... It all down to how you sell it and for how much. If However your 'manufacturing' costs are too high, then you have a bigggggg problem.

Edited by semion
  • Like 2

First if all the bspa need to understand why fans have stopped going or attending sparingly. For me the biggest issue for that is the amount of guests being used. Massively reduce that and I believe that fans who have stopped going will start going and those attending only occasionally will start going a bit more. Hopefully then that will have a knock on effect to enticing new fans to the sport. A settled 1-7 who are turning up week in week out is the first step and fixed race nights will hugely help. It needs to happen.

• Like 1

Trees wrote " It's a shame as it seemed a good idea." about the GTR engine project. A repeating problem within the BSPA is that they jump at anything that sounds like "good idea" without thinking it through or without talking it over with others. Just jumping onto the 'next Big Thing' that will save the sport is a recipe for failure.

• Like 1

Well, this ludicrous idea to get rid of all riders over 6.00 seems relatively popular in King's Lynn anyway. Guess which team has only one rider with an average over 6.00 so would end up the strongest in the league. go on. Have a guess.

Speedway seemed to be doing pretty well about 10 years ago. Decent teams. Decent crowds. Every year since then it's been downgraded and downgraded. It's very frustrating as a supporter to have to put up with this every year. Last year they tried to force the best rider in the world out of the league and failed. Maybe they will try again this year. Let's hope not.

This new idea would mean Ben Barker is too strong a rider for the top flight. Any suggestions as to what he should do with his speedway career?

Wolves would lose their entire top 5. Swindon their top 4. But, hey, who cares? At least King's Lynn would probably finally win the league.

Would you say 3/4 people is relatively popular,i wouldn't.

As i said before 6.00 is a ridiculously low average and i would think many Lynn fans would think the same.

It's not about where you set the 'bar' 6, 6.5, 7. It's about the principle of the idea. Can British Speedway afford European riders ? Airfares, the £ v exchange rate. Not so long back it was 1.40 plus now it's around 1.12. What industry can afford to increase workers pay by 28% ?

• Like 2

It's not about where you set the 'bar' 6, 6.5, 7. It's about the principle of the idea. Can British Speedway afford European riders ? Airfares, the £ v exchange rate. Not so long back it was 1.40 plus now it's around 1.12. What industry can afford to increase workers pay by 28% ?

I'm not to bothered about employing the many European riders with their airfares etc.Of course i would like to see some.I'm merely saying imo that 6 is well to low.Just think of the British riders that wouldn't be able to compete because of a 6pt average.Worralls,King,Kennett,Barker,Lawson,Wright,Howarth.If i was to want to carry on watching speedway i would at the very least want to see these riding.Anything less and i couldn't see many punters coming through the turnstiles anymore.

• Like 1

Well, this ludicrous idea to get rid of all riders over 6.00 seems relatively popular in King's Lynn anyway. Guess which team has only one rider with an average over 6.00 so would end up the strongest in the league. go on. Have a guess.

Speedway seemed to be doing pretty well about 10 years ago. Decent teams. Decent crowds. Every year since then it's been downgraded and downgraded. It's very frustrating as a supporter to have to put up with this every year. Last year they tried to force the best rider in the world out of the league and failed. Maybe they will try again this year. Let's hope not.

This new idea would mean Ben Barker is too strong a rider for the top flight. Any suggestions as to what he should do with his speedway career?

Wolves would lose their entire top 5. Swindon their top 4. But, hey, who cares? At least King's Lynn would probably finally win the league.

What a wonderful view from a seasoned poster. Your sarcasm precedes you. Its is little wonder so many clubs have fallen by the wayside with attitudes such as this. The sport of ours, is in dire need of restructuring to a sustainable level. When an ex promoter suggests some ideas, where some of his thoughts are very feasible, you use it as an opportunity to make fun of a club that has worked over 50 yrs providing entertainment for people like yourself..

You, like many others on here, think just of your own little world. 'I'm alright jack' attitudes achieves nothing.

I suggest you use your time more constructively and come up with alternative ideas to save our sport, and leave the sarcasm in the playground.

NB. It is said Sarcasm is the lowest part of wit, and is not a virtue people would want on their persona.

• Like 1

Rather than over the years could it be bring in the strong down to the weakest has been the wrong way about going about it - instead of one or two weak clubs we now have a league full of weak clubs - no league sponsors possibly no tv money - if the strong clubs had been able to remain strong top riders would still be over here and with possibly tv deal and league sponsors- but over the years all weve done is water down the sport year on year while clubs expecting fans to turn up take this season sack too top riders bring in championship standard riders massively cut the wage bill Id guess but not cut admission price and then they wonder why fans walk away .

• Like 1

What a wonderful view from a seasoned poster. Your sarcasm precedes you. Its is little wonder so many clubs have fallen by the wayside with attitudes such as this. The sport of ours, is in dire need of restructuring to a sustainable level. When an ex promoter suggests some ideas, where some of his thoughts are very feasible, you use it as an opportunity to make fun of a club that has worked over 50 yrs providing entertainment for people like yourself..

You, like many others on here, think just of your own little world. 'I'm alright jack' attitudes achieves nothing.

I suggest you use your time more constructively and come up with alternative ideas to save our sport, and leave the sarcasm in the playground.

NB. It is said Sarcasm is the lowest part of wit, and is not a virtue people would want on their persona.

There was no sarcasm in my post. I meant every word of it. To get rid of every rider over 6 is a diabolical idea that would kill the sport stone dead.

So, what is your suggestion for Ben Barker to do for a living? What team would you suggest for Wolves?

• Like 6

There was no sarcasm in my post. I meant every word of it. To get rid of every rider over 6 is a diabolical idea that would kill the sport stone dead.

So, what is your suggestion for Ben Barker to do for a living? What team would you suggest for Wolves?

I didn't read any sarcasm in your post either, just giving your view.... which bit is sarcastic GRW?

Yes it is not about where you set the bar. But it needs setting somewhere sensible. Doubling up riders have been taking too much out of the sport recently and "taking it for granted" that they should be able to.

• Like 2