British Speedway Forum

Are there any international test matches planned for next season?

With such a limited league program, tracks would have many free racedays to host England test matches (or Team GB). The national team riders would surely be happy to represent their country and get extra opportunities to race and earn some extra money. And the fans would get the chance to see something in addition to the regular league meetings !

How about a revival England v Denmark series ? Or England v Sweden ?

Or for the juniors a Young Lions vs USA series ? or vs France - that would be something new !

Why is there no initiative ? Does the BSPA only think about their clubs ? How narrow minded is this !

There are no expansionist plans for UK speedway because they have not as yet come up with a plan to cope with the contraction of the last decade or so. The have no ideas on how to replace disillusioned older fans who have walked away ( fed up with so much of it ) with younger fans who are unlikely to be any more patient, and anyway demand a better show and VFM for their cash.

• Like 2

With such a limited league program, tracks would have many free racedays to host England test matches (or Team GB). The national team riders would surely be happy to represent their country and get extra opportunities to race and earn some extra money. And the fans would get the chance to see something in addition to the regular league meetings !

Or for the juniors a Young Lions vs USA series ? or vs France - that would be something new !

Why is there no initiative ? Does the BSPA only think about their clubs ? How narrow minded is this !

They could easily include GB - Australia as all the good Aussies are in the UK throughout the season, both a top team and youngsters.

I suppose the biggest issue is with the top riders, the availability of those who ride on the continent as well as the UK.

Great idea - I sincerely hope something along those lines could happen.

Another idea - years ago we used to have a Great Britain Touring Team that went to Australia and raced Test Matches there.

Would there be a possibility, of something like this being resurrected to keep Supporters interested during the Winter.

They could easily include GB - Australia as all the good Aussies are in the UK throughout the season, both a top team and youngsters.

I suppose the biggest issue is with the top riders, the availability of those who ride on the continent as well as the UK.

As the Aussies ride in the UK they should all be available on any Monday and Thursday, if the Premiership clubs want to host such test matches. I would love to see an England v Australia speedway test series again, but only if it is taken serious by both nations, proberly organised, and with the strongest possible teams.

Great idea - I sincerely hope something along those lines could happen.

Another idea - years ago we used to have a Great Britain Touring Team that went to Australia and raced Test Matches there.

Would there be a possibility, of something like this being resurrected to keep Supporters interested during the Winter.

Very welcome, but a British Lions tour to Australia is currently a no go. Unfortunately, there are no Australian speedway promoters willing and able to finance such a tour. It would be great, though.

Hans Nielsen is looking at getting some early tests in for the young Danes,so maybe,hopefully one or two against a young Lions would be on the cards??A quick 5 test tour

• Like 3

Hans Nielsen is looking at getting some early tests in for the young Danes,so maybe,hopefully one or two against a young Lions would be on the cards??A quick 5 test tour

That would be great - here's hoping. :t:

Test/International matches were once a staple diet in the British Calendar.

Would be great if they could be resurrected in some shape or form?

• Like 2

Test/International matches were once a staple diet in the British Calendar.

Would be great if they could be resurrected in some shape or form?

Like Individual Meetings - they are a big miss. :sad::sad::sad:

• Like 1

Unfortunately not by me. :neutral: Surely I'm not the only one who isn't really interested in Individual Meetings?

Nope, me neither, apart from GPs, more into team matches....

Yes I remember all the classics and it was often the only opportunity to see some of the big names other than their obligatory visit with their league team (unless it was Olsen at Cowley!)...but of course with the gradual decrease in teams (or sudden as was the case in the British League over the winter of 1984/85) it became the norm to see the stars on a too regularly basis. Seeing Erik Gundersen at Cowley 6 - 7 times a year removed some of the mystic in my opinion.

The national TV used to cover some of the big meetings also...The Spring Classic, Internationale and Grande Prix Finals which used to give the sport a boost as regards attracting a wider audience and help raise the profile.

...and of course the BLRC when it was the prestige meeting before it fell out of favour due to a series of factors.

Edited by steve roberts

Yes I remember all the classics and it was often the only opportunity to see some of the big names other than their obligatory visit with their league team (unless it was Olsen at Cowley!)...but of course with the gradual decrease in teams (or sudden as was the case in the British League over the winter of 1984/85) it became the norm to see the stars on a too regularly basis. Seeing Erik Gundersen at Cowley 6 - 7 times a year removed some of the mystic in my opinion.

The national TV used to cover some of the big meetings also...The Spring Classic, Internationale and Grande Prix Finals which used to give the sport a boost as regards attracting a wider audience and help raise the profile.

...and of course the BLRC when it was the prestige meeting before it fell out of favour due to a series of factors.

I was never really a fan of individual racing i did go to alot of meeting's over the years especially the WC.rounds.But when the meeting's were taken away you certainly missed them our prestige meeting was the Silver Plume and later on the Evening Advertiser trophy meeting they usually produced decent line ups.The Manpower meeting and the Superama were two meeting's i took in a few times could there be a place for those meeting's now i am not so sure.Saying that i have just bought the 2017 Prem league riders championship at Belle Vue what a really enjoyable nights racing that was a must Christmas present for any speedway fan. Edited by Sidney the robin

I was never really a fan of individual racing i did go to alot of meeting's over the years especially the WC.rounds.But when the meeting's were taken away you certainly missed them our prestige meeting was the Silver Plume and later on the Evening Advertiser trophy meeting they usually produced decent line ups.The Manpower meeting and the Superama were two meeting's i took in a few times could there be a place for those meeting's now i am not so sure.Saying that i have just bought the 2017 Prem league riders championship at Belle Vue what a really enjoyable nights racing that was a must Christmas present for any speedway fan.

...I think that you are right Sid. The taste for meetings other than League meetings has diminished over the years. I used to enjoy the variety of test matches, individuals, Best Pairs, International club matches and 4TT (hated the 3TT format!) as people became more selective in their choice over the years.

Edited by steve roberts

There's a lot to be said for variety. My three best meetings last year were a league match (P'boro v Sheff), an individual (PLRC at Belle Vue) and a 4TT (@ Mildenhall).

Unfortunately not enough people find other meetings attractive to make them financially viable for the most part, so they will remain an endangered species.

• Like 1

There's a lot to be said for variety. My three best meetings last year were a league match (P'boro v Sheff), an individual (PLRC at Belle Vue) and a 4TT (@ Mildenhall).

Unfortunately not enough people find other meetings attractive to make them financially viable for the most part, so they will remain an endangered species.

'arnieg" that PLRC meeting at Belle Vue was some meeting different lines produced as the meeting went along the track is a credit to the sport in this country.Someone also said they thought the Peter Craven meeting there was a even better meeting the standard is high then what a treat it must be for all those Aces fans to view there everyweek.
  • Like 2