British Speedway Forum

Always a few dogs at Peterborough. There's plenty of space over the back straight to walk them.

Seen dogs at Ippo as well last week 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, Ray Stadia said:

I admit I'm not a dog owner, but I have respect for all animals. But it seems to me, we have moved dog ownership up a cog, whereby, owners seem to think it's a good idea to take the dog everywhere, including a noisy environment like speedway. We now have many dog friendly restaurants, which I feel is not condusive with health and hygene. A dog, is a dog, is a dog, not a human being! Don't get me wrong, we have many, so called, human beings, who behave worse than animals! 

What if the dog isn't at all bothered by the 'noisy environment'?  I always took a dog with me when going alone to Oxford, Wolverhampton, Peterborough, Coventry or Leicester. None of them have ever shown the slightest concern about noisy motorbikes, in fact quite the opposite as they just went to sleep on a blanket while the match was on. Border Collies too that are supposed to be lively. :D

• Like 4

I admit I'm not a dog owner, but I have respect for all animals. But it seems to me, we have moved dog ownership up a cog, whereby, owners seem to think it's a good idea to take the dog everywhere, including a noisy environment like speedway. We now have many dog friendly restaurants, which I feel is not condusive with health and hygene. A dog, is a dog, is a dog, not a human being! Don't get me wrong, we have many, so called, human beings, who behave worse than animals! 

Why exactly ? Has there been an outbreak of illness and disease amongst dog owners...

• Like 1

I admit I'm not a dog owner, but I have respect for all animals. But it seems to me, we have moved dog ownership up a cog, whereby, owners seem to think it's a good idea to take the dog everywhere, including a noisy environment like speedway. We now have many dog friendly restaurants, which I feel is not conducive with health and hygiene. A dog, is a dog, is a dog, not a human being! Don't get me wrong, we have many, so called, human beings, who behave worse than animals! 

I have some sympathy for your point of view.
However, as with many aspects of modern life, for me, it comes down to my own sense of responsibility.

If I take my grandson to a restaurant, I make sure he behaves appropriately. He doesn't run riot or badly affect other diners.

Likewise, if Lenny comes to the speedway with me, I expect him to behave appropriately. I go where I know there's space for him to settle and he doesn't cause disruption to other fans. In fact, generally speaking, it's others that insist on "bothering him" by stroking him and asking about his history etc. Not that he doesn't like the fuss, he loves it. But it's horses for courses and it is always my responsibility to make sure our visits are trouble free. I don't take Lenny because I think it's my right to do so, I take him because I don't like leaving him at home for many hours alone. I think that's a responsible attitude also.

So it's give and take. No one has a right to behave badly or to take a dog into an environment just because it's allowed and then cause a problem. You do see signs saying that well behaved dogs are welcome. Perhaps the signs should say, well behaved dogs and well behaved dog owners are welcome!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Why exactly ? Has there been an outbreak of illness and disease amongst dog owners...

Ok. Here's the scenario, the waiter/waitress takes plates of food to a table who have a dog or dogs, the waiter or waitress strokes and pets the dog (after all, he or she is after a tip!). The waiter or waitress then goes to the kitchen, picks up more plates to take to other customers, without washing their hands! Now I accept, we don't know whether the waiter or waitress hasn't just brought us our food, just before he or she has been to the loo, without washing their hands, but how far can you go with health and hygene?  

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Ok. Here's the scenario, the waiter/waitress takes plates of food to a table who have a dog or dogs, the waiter or waitress strokes and pets the dog (after all, he or she is after a tip!). The waiter or waitress then goes to the kitchen, picks up more plates to take to other customers, without washing their hands! Now I accept, we don't know whether the waiter or waitress hasn't just brought us our food, just before he or she has been to the loo, without washing their hands, but how far can you go with health and hygene?  

Well that's down to the waiter, not the dog. There is more chance of catching something from the humans at the next table, than from a dog. If we knew what went on behind some kitchen doors, i suspect many of us would never eat out again...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Well that's down to the waiter, not the dog. There is more chance of catching something from the humans at the next table, than from a dog. If we knew what went on behind some kitchen doors, i suspect many of us would never eat out again...

Years ago I had a mob that took me and a gasman into the kitchen of a restaurant. It was disgusting. We were offered a cup of tea, and we refused that.

• Haha 1

If you order a take away for delivery chances are it's been made in a family members kitchen rather than the take away you think it's coming from

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

A group of us went down with food poisoning at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford many years ago.

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

A group of us went down with food poisoning at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford many years ago.

Hope Inspector Morse investigated? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

I agree, we don't know what goes on in kitchens and suspect we would be horrified if we knew. However, for me personally, I would prefer to avoid a restaurant that allows dogs. A restaurant is for the social experience not just to eat food. I did go to a restaurant recently with some people and I was being treated. One of the party brought their dog along, which I wasn't expecting. The dog didn't settle and was a pain in the proverbial!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Stadia said:

I agree, we don't know what goes on in kitchens and suspect we would be horrified if we knew. However, for me personally, I would prefer to avoid a restaurant that allows dogs. A restaurant is for the social experience not just to eat food. I did go to a restaurant recently with some people and I was being treated. One of the party brought their dog along, which I wasn't expecting. The dog didn't settle and was a pain in the proverbial!  

I can understand that, it would be annoying. Well behaved Dogs only imo, which rules out my 2 Labs when food is about...:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the course of business I have carried out surveys in a number of restaurants. With a few exceptions I generally found Chinese and Indian  kitchens to be of higher standard than British ones.  

Having worked in the catering industry, majority in Michelin star Restaurants, would NEVER allow Dogs in!

7 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

But the same could be said of a pain in the neck child. Personally if I knew I had a dog that didn't behave I would have left it at home so that was the owners being inconsiderate.  I can 100% guarantee that Lucy my Border Collie will just lie down and not be any trouble to anyone wherever she is so I regularly take her to a Tea Room next to the canal where we walk every day. Dogs are welcome there.

• Like 3