British Speedway Forum

Gambo,

Brandon Estates clearly have absolutely no credibility in this matter so far , but they still own the site. They do not have to sell the site even if they lose the current planning appeal.

If the speedway /stock car business plan can be demonstrated to not be viable - that surely allows Brandon Estates to argue that retaining the stadium for sports/leisure use will provide no  benefit to the local community.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Gambo,

Brandon Estates clearly have absolutely no credibility in this matter so far , but they still own the site. They do not have to sell the site even if they lose the current planning appeal.

If the speedway /stock car business plan can be demonstrated to not be viable - that surely allows Brandon Estates to argue that retaining the stadium for sports/leisure use will provide no  benefit to the local community.

Surely it should be up to BE to PROVE that Speedway/Stox is not viable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Which is why BE keep banging on about the millions needed to bring the stadium up to scratch. But not once did I hear anyone challenge why is it in such a bad state anyway. 

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

That is what goatly was doing all last week !

10 minutes ago, Toady said:

That is what goatly was doing all last week !

He did not prove anything. Merely elicited an opinion. There were no figures (from either side) to prove or disprove viability.

17 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He did not prove anything. Merely elicited an opinion. There were no figures (from either side) to prove or disprove viability.

Correct, even Osborne was saying “in my opinion!”

• Like 1

Well I hope  the inspector sees it that way and discounts osbournes figures

Edited by Toady

Do Poole get 1100-1200 average? That was quoted by Osborne. 

12 hours ago, Deano said:

Do Poole get 1100-1200 average? That was quoted by Osborne. 

They must do as he is the Landlord of the stadium so his figures are accurate I would also say the figures he suggested for Swindon would be correct ,so as you see he did come prepared with facts unlike a previous poster suggested

Edited by Toady

2 hours ago, Toady said:

They must do as he is the Landlord of the stadium so his figures are accurate I would also say the figures he suggested for Swindon would be correct ,so as you see he did come prepared with facts unlike a previous poster suggested

Didn't he also say that figure wasn't a recent figure as it increases due to Poole's successes?!

I still question his figures though! In addition to the Speedway staff on every turnstile/entrance there are also stadium H&S staff with 'clickers' doing a  body count but hey are easily distracted, often disappearing for a 'chit-chat' or a quiet smoke etc!!

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Didn't he also say that figure wasn't a recent figure as it increases due to Poole's successes?!

I still question his figures though! In addition to the Speedway staff on every turnstile/entrance there are also stadium H&S staff with 'clickers' doing a  body count but hey are easily distracted, often disappearing for a 'chit-chat' or a quiet smoke etc!!

Yes he did say that, and the average for Poole would go up with their success (I think Matt ford said as much)but no one challenged him from scs side on that or anything else for that matter so basically what he said was well presented for inspector to look at later.

On 9/28/2023 at 11:35 PM, kitten2502 said:

That has confused me - what input can they possibly have?

Also, didn't Mr Humphreys state Jeff Davies wanted to "take to the mike" at the start of todays proceedings? :unsure:

The NHS say could work for speedway. Building houses on even part of the site will put considerable extra strain on NHS facilities for the entire area. I assume (happy to be proven wrong) that the areas NHS facilities are currently stretched pretty much to breaking point as it is and would need significant investment to cope. 

On 10/1/2023 at 4:32 PM, Deano said:

Which is why BE keep banging on about the millions needed to bring the stadium up to scratch. But not once did I hear anyone challenge why is it in such a bad state anyway. 

The state of the stadium/site is what it is. How it got there is of no interest to the inspector in deciding if the site can be developed either for building houses or it’s impact on the viability of reintroducing speedway/stocks in a new stadium should BE agree to sell if their appeal fails. 

Edited by 1 valve

On 9/28/2023 at 7:28 PM, iainb said:

Something to do with the NHS wanting a say... so if they've gone onto an NHS waiting list it could be another couple of years! And I thought the NHS supposed to treat ill people, apparently not these days

On 9/28/2023 at 11:51 PM, naffer said:

NHS want money from Brandon estates if the site is developed for houses ,to compensate for services to be rendered as it were ,£133k I think.

Are there any other examples of how housing developments provide funding streams directly into the NHS?  I always thought that the NHS was funded either by National or Local Government, who would (sometimes badly) assess the healthcare requirements of a region and provide funding accordingly. The NHS doesn't to my mind have the authority to charge money for that kind of thing themselves.

Also, take Perry Barr as an example. Post Commonwealth Games, what was going to be the "Athletes Village" is being sold off (very slowly). There are 947 apartments up for sale, which will result in some 1800 - 2000 extra residents settling in Perry Barr. (how big is Brandon's proposed development?) And that's not to mention 9 other plots of land ready for development in Perry Barr for even more housing, There's not been any expansion in healthcare capacity, nor have we heard from the NHS about needing extra funding for this.

All very odd.

25 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Are there any other examples of how housing developments provide funding streams directly into the NHS?  I always thought that the NHS was funded either by National or Local Government, who would (sometimes badly) assess the healthcare requirements of a region and provide funding accordingly. The NHS doesn't to my mind have the authority to charge money for that kind of thing themselves.

The issue is NHS funding is determined by historic data and that means new residents of the development are unfunded for the first year of occupation. It is that shortfall that the NHS are seeking to cover using the argument that it falls within the CIL (or whatever 'planning gain' is called this week)