British Speedway Forum

51 minutes ago, iainb said:

Didn't somebody say today that they were waiting for some more info which would be provided on the 19th of December?

Might well be right I was going in the original info before the 3 week delay

2 minutes ago, naffer said:

Might well be right I was going in the original info before the 3 week delay

Previous thoughts were that the Inquiry Inspector would give the decision in the New Year?!

On 9/28/2023 at 1:13 PM, mikebv said:

It's been required since the world moved into the 21st Century, (at least)...

Football, Rugby Union, and Cricket, all got themselves "proper" leadership and strategists over the past quarter of a century or so, and took control from those local business people who ran clubs as some kind of personal fiefdom..

Rugby League is another example that kept the "tail wagging the dog" and even though they had fantastic Sky coverage for decades, it remains provincial and parochial. Even though it rregularly delivers a fantastic product...

And RL has also seen lots of league structure changes with promotion and relegation, then not, then started again, then not etc etc....

Lots of short term strategy that does no one any favours, and all down to having no long term strategy that all were able to agree on...

UK Speedway won't change, regardless of whether Cov stays st Brandon or not, as I simply cannot see the neccesary skill set around long term planning for growth amongst enough of those who run it...

Another five year plan anyone? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed for Cov....

Surely Phil Morris has the necessary skills set if he is allowed to implement the changes that he feels are necessary. 

• Haha 1

Although not what speedway fans would like to acknowledge. The case presented by BE lawyer did appear to be quite solid in many aspects.

By contrast,  the SCS evidence presented was somewhat "hearsay" with little or no data provided to support the verbal statements given. The BE lawyer latched onto this in his summary, especially relating to attendance figures, the costs involved to revive the Brandon site, and the viability of running a speedway promotion.  Not to mention that the "new team" intimated by Phil Morris has failed to materialise (though I don't recall Mr. Goatley referencing this). 

On the upside, The RBC case was sound in defending their decision to reject the proposed plans on the grounds they did so, especially the need to protect open spaces and the avoidance of urban sprawl. It will, more than likely be the RBC case that wins the day (if it does) re the appeal being rejected.

If the appeal is rejected, rather than going quietly,  Brandon Estates will either draw up revised plans for the site taking into account the guidance expressed by the planning inspector or,  given that Goatley referenced case law for the inspector to consider which if not suitably accommodated in a decision to reject the appeal, then BE may feel they have reason to challenge the decision in the High Court on the grounds that the Planning Inspectorate made a legal mistake. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SJA said:

Surely Phil Morris has the necessary skills set if he is allowed to implement the changes that he feels are necessary. 

Hopefully, but what are his qualifications and experience in such matters?

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Although not what speedway fans would like to acknowledge. The case presented by BE lawyer did appear to be quite solid in many aspects.

By contrast,  the SCS evidence presented was somewhat "hearsay" with little or no data provided to support the verbal statements given. The BE lawyer latched onto this in his summary, especially relating to attendance figures, the costs involved to revive the Brandon site, and the viability of running a speedway promotion.  Not to mention that the "new team" intimated by Phil Morris has failed to materialise (though I don't recall Mr. Goatley referencing this). 

On the upside, The RBC case was sound in defending their decision to reject the proposed plans on the grounds they did so, especially the need to protect open spaces and the avoidance of urban sprawl. It will, more than likely be the RBC case that wins the day (if it does) re the appeal being rejected.

If the appeal is rejected, rather than going quietly,  Brandon Estates will either draw up revised plans for the site taking into account the guidance expressed by the planning inspector or,  given that Goatley referenced case law for the inspector to consider which if not suitably accommodated in a decision to reject the appeal, then BE may feel they have reason to challenge the decision in the High Court on the grounds that the Planning Inspectorate made a legal mistake. 

Frustrating if it goes down to legals (like Cradley Heath). When the democratically elected get over ridden, just representing those who elected them. It's easier to give up than challenge lawyers representing people with money.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

I thought the Council and SCS have excellent closing statements, I listened a bit to Goatley but his voice goes through me. I’m glad the council gave special mention to Phil Morris.  Given all the evidence I still find it hard to fathom how anyone could think a 3G pitch is suitable replacement for the stadium. Having that 2 faced cretin Osbourne will back fire on B.E but no matter what no more could possibly have been done to save Brandon. 

1 hour ago, Coventry_Bee said:

Having that 2 faced cretin Osbourne

Osbourne gave evidence with facts to prove his figures and in a professional manner,  unfortunately anything else surrounding him will not be taken into account( mores the pity) therefore Brandon estates will be more than happy with his performance. As I said before we all must hope that the appeal fails on the planning arguments  and Scs and Stox are given a chance to get back into the stadium.

No matter which way the appeal result goes the upper hand is still with Brandon Estates, they own Brandon so it's down to them what they do with the site, I just hope that SCS have not done what CRASH did at Dudley Wood which was put there eggs all in one basket, then when the appeal was lost the there was no other site that was suitable to relocate to and by then the interest in Cradley had cooled, what I,m trying to say is that IMO the best time to find a new site is the time when the existing stadium has been lost, just as an example I note at the Coventry end of Brandon several Rugby pitches and Clubhouse used by Broadstreet RFC, when Brandon was given notice to close I would have been knocking there door down to try to get a Track around one of those pitches, and got the owners of Brandon to foot the bill.

Anyways good luck with the decision I just Hope BE are willing to come to some arrangement with SCS should they lose, but with prime building sites fetching upwards of £1 million pounds an acre I have my doubts.

New sites were looked at ,one particular one was  Brandon village way  close to the A45. 
but that one was ruled out  there were others I’m sure but I forget now it’s been so long.

whatever happens what a fantastic campaign that has been fought by the SCS group .

Kudos to JD and the team.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest are "Booey's" ashes still at Brandon?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest are "Booey's" ashes still at Brandon?

Yes I belive that there are about a 2ft under the start a finish line.  It was not all booey,s ashes just a small amount.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Toady said:

Osbourne gave evidence with facts to prove his figures and in a professional manner

I'm not sure that's entirely true though is it? I don't think he submitted any certified accounts as evidence of his figures, he just expressed his opinions

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:24 PM, Coventry_Bee said:

I still find it hard to fathom how anyone could think a 3G pitch is suitable replacement for the stadium. 

Its not. BE included the pavilion & 3G pitch as a sporting amenity providing open space and physical activity on their development which was missing from earlier considerations.

6 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true though is it? I don't think he submitted any certified accounts as evidence of his figures, he just expressed his opinions

His figures were from Swindon and Poole  where he was owner and leaseholder respectively and were supplied by both incumbent promoters tr and mf also unlike b.e brief on scs and Stox figures nobody from their side challenged those  figures so must have felt they were accurate