British Speedway Forum

Excellent news. Well done:t:

Edited by Bald Bloke

22 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

A fantastic result and congratulations to all concerned.  Now, following this decision, can a similar appeal be lodged by the powers that be at Peterborough or has that local council supported to building scheme at the Showground?

Great idea. Just be aware that the Save Coventry Speedway group have been at it for over 7 years. And the job is only half done.

Well that's a brilliant surprise and hopefully a step in the right direction towards a better future.for the village. That stadium was my home for twelve  years from the age of eleven, so it always had a special place in my life.

I mustn't get too euphoric as we've got to find a real way forward for everybody on our side of the fence.  Mega thanks and congratulations to all those that have worked so hard to achieve this result. The City and Rugby both need a good stadium site, with luck it can still be Brandon.

:t:

Well done to all the Save Coventry Group, lets hope this is one step closer to bringing back Speedway to Brandon.

• Like 1

Congratulations hopefully the start of something special and Coventry be a catalyst for those clubs who have fell by the wayside! 

• Like 1

Sadly this really changes nothing.  Brandon Estates still own the site so little doubt they'll try again and again.  Might take 10-15 years, but they'll get pp in the end.

2 hours ago, R87 said:

Sadly this really changes nothing.  Brandon Estates still own the site so little doubt they'll try again and again.  Might take 10-15 years, but they'll get pp in the end.

Thanks for the cheerful contribution.

Edited by Dave Jones

3 hours ago, R87 said:

You may be right (sadly). However, this application was appealed all the way to the Secretary of State and rejected on numerous grounds. This gives the faithful, me included, some hope.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, R87 said:

Brandon Estates won't want to keep bringing back a tweaked application, they will need to add some significant facilities to outweigh the loss of the stadium this will eat into their profit margin. They could bank the land for 10-15 years and hope opposition has disappeared or they could cut their losses and sell up.

Prob helps that locals said they'd prefer keeping the stadium rather than 120+ houses, or whatever the figure is. Coventry Speedway is of course in the village of Brandon, I have relatives living in Gilberdyke, also a village 26miles west of Hull, out of interest I asked them & their neighbour; would you rather have an extra 120+ houses or the existing stadium with weekly speedway & monthly stox, though you probably won't hear much noise ?   All said they'd prefer keeping the stadium.

So good news, a 'battle' won, but not yet the 'war', but still a way to go.  Gone too far & too much effort  to give up now, (as if) keep at it :D....

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

You may be right (sadly). However, this application was appealed all the way to the Secretary of State and rejected on numerous grounds. This gives the faithful, me included, some hope.

Have said before that stopping them building on Brandon will be the easy bit.  Getting the site out of their hands is a very different proposition, given they appear to have no intention of selling it.  However, while its still there, hope must remain that we'll see speedway in one of its most iconic venues once again.

Coventry returning would be such a huge boost for the sport

Agreed, The dream would be to rebuild the stadium to rival, indeed surpass, Belle Vue !

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Prob helps that locals said they'd prefer keeping the stadium rather than 120+ houses, or whatever the figure is. Coventry Speedway is of course in the village of Brandon, I have relatives living in Gilberdyke, also a village 26miles west of Hull, out of interest I asked them & their neighbour; would you rather have an extra 120+ houses or the existing stadium with weekly speedway & monthly stox, though you probably won't hear much noise ?   All said they'd prefer keeping the stadium.

So good news, a 'battle' won, but not yet the 'war', but still a way to go.  Gone too far & too much effort  to give up now, (as if) keep at it :D....

And what about residents who've moved their since 2016?  I doubt they'll be over the moon about the prospect 

2 hours ago, R87 said:

And what about residents who've moved their since 2016?  I doubt they'll be over the moon about the prospect 

Looking at the content on your profile over the last few months, I must say you come acros as a really miserable guy..

Is there anything that makes you happy in life?

• Haha 1

All good news but who has the money to get it back in a fit state to use?