British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

All good news but who has the money to get it back in a fit state to use?

Think a stock car or a greyhound man interested in buying/leasing the stadium, was said at the enquiry, also a bit in a past speedway star, and Matt ford is interested in running the speedway, all that needs to happen is the owners to sell up !!

9 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

All good news but who has the money to get it back in a fit state to use?

Warren hunter has the money .

3 hours ago, R87 said:

And what about residents who've moved their since 2016?  I doubt they'll be over the moon about the prospect 

I think you’ll find that most would prefer to see the stadium back in use rather all the vandalism etc since 2016.

Why so negative about this great news ?

Edited by Toady

You would like to think that following this rejection Brandon estates would allow speedway back over a set period of time, thus to help their own cause in finally getting rid of Coventry, as agreeing Coventry to return to action and operate to start making money with the work going in to look for somewhere. 

Why is it that developers always want to build on ground that has a stadium on it and think it is a good idea to build a new stadium on some other land? Why don't they build their bloody developments on the other land they want the new stadium to be built on?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Why is it that developers always want to build on ground that has a stadium on it and think it is a good idea to build a new stadium on some other land? Why don't they build their bloody developments on the other land they want the new stadium to be built on?

Because the stadium owners and it has been speedway promoters in the past, like Sandhu, looking to 'cash in their chips'! Promoter stadium owners, pretending they have speedway's best interest, when the only interest they have, is in themselves! Another example, the Pugh's, Cradley Heath! 

41 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Because the stadium owners and it has been speedway promoters in the past, like Sandhu, looking to 'cash in their chips'! Promoter stadium owners, pretending they have speedway's best interest, when the only interest they have, is in themselves! Another example, the Pugh's, Cradley Heath! 

I thought the situation was that Sandhu had been 'forced' to sell as a Bank had called in a loan/mortgage on the site?

7 hours ago, Gambo said:

I thought the situation was that Sandhu had been 'forced' to sell as a Bank had called in a loan/mortgage on the site?

I'm sure I read somewhere, he did originally buy for development, found he enjoyed watching speedway so dropped the idea. The rest is history.

14 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Because they can always rat on the promise to build a new stadium! Ask, for example, Swindon fans ...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, *JJ said:

Because they can always rat on the promise to build a new stadium! Ask, for example, Swindon fans ...

I thought a new stadium is being built? I thought it was the promoters who have thrown in the towel? Although, I'm sure the situation is not as simple as my comment. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I thought a new stadium is being built? I thought it was the promoters who have thrown in the towel? Although, I'm sure the situation is not as simple as my comment. 

That’s the charade they would have you believe.

Edited by Toady

I have no idea how these things really work but as a Leicester supporter I'm really pleased for all concerned at the outcome of this enquiry.  In order to obtain Brandon stadium, I wonder whether  or not Rugby District Council could place a compulsory purchase order on the site. Maybe there could then be some agreement between the council, the great and the good in the stock car world and the speedway world to lease the land back over a number of years.  Whilst there was no compulsory purchase order involved in obtaining the land at Leicester by David Hemsley, I do believe that he did get it on a 99 year lease.  If a rent was paid back to Rugby by speedway and stox, they would over a period of time recoup the outlay of paying off Brandon Estates and no doubt see a profit.  As I say, I don't understand the finer points of such a suggestion and whether or not it could work but I'd be interested to read people's views on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowerfulPierre said:

I wonder whether  or not Rugby District Council could place a compulsory purchase order on the site.

FYI.

The cost of purchasing the site from the current owner is not factored into the above assessments. Whilst the Council resolved on 14 December 2022 to

'explore options available to bring Brandon Stadium back into use' this has not been acted upon. There is no evidence before me that the Council would consider compulsory purchase. At the Inquiry I heard from a supporter of SCS, that he was prepared to purchase the site and fund the necessary works to secure its reinstatement. He was also proposing to act as promotor for stock car racing at the stadium. Whilst this is very positive, the actual costs of reopening the stadium are uncertain, as is the level of other sponsorship and how much financial risk would be involved.

Just watching the news ,councils are cash strapped so doubt they’ll have any spare, the euro millions Friday is the best chance.

Edited by Toady
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:34 PM, Toady said:

That’s the charade they would have you believe.

But that is precisely what Terry Russell has done. As far as I can see Swindon Council has stuck to its side of the deal. 

As most of us will know, the latest ruling is still a long, long way from Cov coming back, but surely it does offer some leverage which could see then back in the sport? 

As the council are 100% supportive, as seen by their actions so far, and the company obviously need the land to build their houses on, could it now be the time to get a compromise of another site, funded by the company, and allowed to be used by the council? 

Surely there must be some suitably sized brown field site somewhere within the locale, which could be initially developed along the Somerset, Workington lines just to get Speedway back? 

Edited by mikebv