British Speedway Forum
maneacat

Peterborough V Swindon Monday 9/9/19

40 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I thought there was a rule about an 'unsatisfactory start'?  This is what is used to call all of them back for a first bend incident as they interpret the start line until the exit of bend 2 as 'the start'.

Nope, can’t find a rule about an unsatisfactory start. The regulations show :

“15.3. A Starting Offence is considered to have been committed in the following circumstances:

Gate Preparation after the expiry of the 2-minute allowance.

When a rider’s motorcycle or any part of their body or equipment touches or breaks the starting tapes whilst the green starting light is on or prevents the raising of the start gate.

A second offence, following an official warning during the meeting for incorrectly preparing the start gate area, disobeying the start marshal and moving during the illumination of the green light before the tapes are released shall result in disqualification (ie; second warning)”

Interestingly the “moving during the illumination of the green light” does not feature in 15.3 as a specific starting offence but is included as a second offence.

The actual regulation is contained in :

“15.2.9 When the Green Start Light is illuminated, no movement of the motorcycle is permitted, nor any additional time allowance or outside assistance can be given.”

There is clearly a case for the rules to be reviewed and rewritten in a clear and unambiguous manner. 

If there is no actual rule to confirm that the referee is entitled to make a case for first bend bunching, given this is the 21st century, why not actually introduce one to cover the eventuality and whilst they are at it, introduce one that gives the referee the opportunity to use a bit of common and put all 4 back when e.g. last night with Batchelor, Tungate and Vissing were involved in a 'racing incident'. There was also the incident in the British Final with Charlie Wright that resulted in his exclusion when he didn't actually materially do anything wrong.

It's not like it happens in every race, or every meeting, but allows some discretion if the referee feels no one is responsible.

I mean, is that too sensible even for the powers that be? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, theblueboy said:

If there is no actual rule to confirm that the referee is entitled to make a case for first bend bunching, given this is the 21st century, why not actually introduce one to cover the eventuality and whilst they are at it, introduce one that gives the referee the opportunity to use a bit of common and put all 4 back when e.g. last night with Batchelor, Tungate and Vissing were involved in a 'racing incident'. There was also the incident in the British Final with Charlie Wright that resulted in his exclusion when he didn't actually materially do anything wrong.

It's not like it happens in every race, or every meeting, but allows some discretion if the referee feels no one is responsible.

I mean, is that too sensible even for the powers that be? 

Unsatisfactory start gets everyone off the hook including the Referee, rules are not optional if you make a rule then everyone has to comply. As the sport is littered with vipers then abuse is less likely if someone has to be adjudged as the cause consequently the Referee is the only one who can legitimately get it wrong particulary when there are so many Referees who have never been astride a bike and genuinely wouldn't understand a racing incident.

7 hours ago, Gavan said:

Good old Muddlo 

When he decides to leave the comfort of the seat at Poole, where has been handed the best riders by Ford year after year,........and takes another club to the title then he can take the rise out of others.

Rosco has won the league with 2 different clubs and so has Pete Adams...........come on Muddlo time to show how good a manager you can be on limited resources

Never a truer word.  :D

We know Lemon is a clown, so can identify with Rossiter easily, and lets not mention that haircut :D

19 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

We know Lemon is a clown, so can identify with Rossiter easily, and lets not mention that haircut :D

If you have a crap haircut I believe there is now a little known rule that says no barber necessarily needs to be criticised for it... :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Unsatisfactory start gets everyone off the hook including the Referee, rules are not optional if you make a rule then everyone has to comply. As the sport is littered with vipers then abuse is less likely if someone has to be adjudged as the cause consequently the Referee is the only one who can legitimately get it wrong particulary when there are so many Referees who have never been astride a bike and genuinely wouldn't understand a racing incident.

I accept your point re the referees, however, both the instances I referred to were on tv. 

In reality, Vissing and Wright were both excluded for crashes they were involved in but didn’t intentionally cause. 

A referee would be hard pushed to exclude a rider when he has the potential to make a more rational decision. It’s about fairness to riders and supporters alike. 

I think it's pretty obvious that thebpoint Rosco was clumsily trying to make is that if there is a fall then there is no stated difference in the referee's discretion regardless of what point in the race it happens.

For me, to bring all 4 back would be a cop out. If there is a crash, someone should be excluded. It's part of the fun. It would be too easy to gonfor the "racing incident" option.

The ref made the correct decision anyway. Vissing leaned onto Tungate's back wheel.

I don’t see that Vissing had much choice, he had to try and get round the corner with what little track he had left at that point. I get the cop out theory and it would need strong refereeing but very occasionally you get a situation like this where nobody has done anything wrong and all four back should be an option. 

29 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don’t see that Vissing had much choice, he had to try and get round the corner with what little track he had left at that point. I get the cop out theory and it would need strong refereeing but very occasionally you get a situation like this where nobody has done anything wrong and all four back should be an option. 

But VISSING did do something wrong he hit the back of Tungate causing him and Batchelor to fall, and quite rightly was excluded.

• Like 1

I actually believe the common sense call should of been made all four back what could Vissing have done.?Also this is an entertainment business we want to see all four riders in every race.

Edited by Sidney the robin

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

If you have a crap haircut I believe there is now a little known rule that says no barber necessarily needs to be criticised for it... :D

I think Rosco must use Kim Jong Un,s barber :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bellevueace said:

I think Rosco must use Kim Jong Un,s barber :D

He best not ever go to NK then as Kim is the only one allowed to have that particular 'style'.. :D

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I actually believe the common sense call should of been made all four back what could Vissing have done.?Also this is an entertainment business we want to see all four riders in every race.

The exclusion rule has never worked like that though and it's a rule that is applied worldwide.

21 hours ago, Pinny said:

Time for Nicholls to call it a day in the top flight and have a farewell season at lower level. As great a servant he has been over the years. 

I think there's life in the old dog yet, he's been a joy to watch around Leicester this year and is one of only a handful of riders who seem to have mastered the track. I agree though his best days in the top flight are long behind him.

19 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Middlo will never leave Poole to manage another club, he is a one club man and at Poole we are all very grateful to have such a nice person to manage our team.

Didn't he have a spell at Arena?