British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

16 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

I agree, it's impossible to compare different eras in pretty much all sports (the perennial who was better Pele or Messi, Sampras or Federer, Bradman or Richards etc etc). You actually CAN'T compare as they were the best they could be in their own era and that comes down to ability, mentality, coaching, support, fitness and motivation. If Bradman were around today, would he be any good?..... yes of course he would because he had the mentality and the other attributes to MAKE himself good.

Absolutely. Jackie Stewart made similar comparisons in his most excellent autobiography.

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think not a different era a different challenge believe it or not we are all entitled to maybe have a different opinion.? 

It has NOTHING to do with opinions! You need to stop make ridiculously false accusations.

3 hours ago, falcace said:

Jeez. This kicked off. Again!

Well, you started it! I suppose that's what happens when you make a sensible post on here...

• Haha 2

Another favourite year was 1984 (yes! I'm allowed more than one!). A new era was about to commence at Cowley. The buzz of excitement and anticipation was immense.

Having spent eight mostly enjoyable years in the National League Northern Sports thought it was the right thing to re-join the British League. Hackney's licence was purchased and a great looking team full of potential and experience was gathered. Hans Nielsen, Simon Wigg, Jens Rasmussen, Marvyn Cox, Melvyn Taylor with both Nigel Sparshott (some years later to be tragically kileed in a car accident) and Ian Clark were retained from the 1983 side.

The team started the season like dynamite with away wins at King's Lynn, Ipswich, Wimbledon, Exeter and Reading and continued on their merry way despite Wimbledon upsetting the party at Cowley with a side inspired by one-time "Rebel" Gordon Kennett. Unfortunately injuries began to take their toll and the stuffing was knocked out of the team and the rest of season tailed off but what memories...and, of course, things got even better in 1985 and 1986! What memories!

53 minutes ago, chunky said:

Well, you started it! I suppose that's what happens when you make a sensible post on here...

Have you ever made a sensible post Chunky ? unless you really believe in yourself?..Your latest statement shows me you have a real,arrogance my friend can you ever look at any other people's opinion and maybe come in the middle i,think not you feel you know best sad really.!!!!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

It has NOTHING to do with opinions! You need to stop make ridiculously false accusations.

Chunky you are a fraud and you have an agenda certainly against me if i said it was white you would say it was black.All would say is don't get  to stressed don't make your self ill maybe Bewitcher could help,you.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Chunky you are a fraud and you have an agenda certainly against me if i said it was white you would say it was black.All would say is don't get  to stressed don't make your self ill maybe Bewitcher could help,you.?

Sometimes you get deeply in trenches and can’t see the wood for the trees, Sid . Just let it go sometimes

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Sometimes you get deeply in trenches and can’t see the wood for the trees, Sid . Just let it go sometimes

No please Iris don't lecture me !!! you Chunky,Bewitcher are joint at the hip grow a backbone  be independent believe in yourself.You three are all predictable a real shame as you all have a lot to offer 

21 minutes ago, iris123 said:

We're joined at the hip Iris! Sid's come out with some crackers in his time...

• Haha 1

I'm sorry, Sidney, but iris is right. It's such a shame because most times on these Years Gone By posts you usually have some interesting things to say, but really, you don't do yourself any favours when you get into these sort of personal rants about people just because you happen to disagree with them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, norbold said:

I'm sorry, Sidney, but iris is right. It's such a shame because most times on these Years Gone By posts you usually have some interesting things to say, but really, you don't do yourself any favours when you get into these sort of personal rants about people just because you happen to disagree with them.

5 minutes ago, norbold said:

Why is everybody getting so uptight?-lets go back to talking about the CH pork sarnies  (sorry!!!!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Why is everybody getting so uptight?-lets go back to talking about the CH pork sarnies  (sorry!!!!)

You know that on all the visits I made to Dudley Wood...and there were many during the rivalry that existed between Oxford and Cradley and Nielsen and Gundersen...I don't recall partaking in such a delicacy? I know thay were for sale but I guess it just past me by. I preferred the fish 'n' chips we used to buy at Shipston-on-Stour on the way back home!

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...if it had been introduced during the eighties Nielsen would have dominated the scene of which I have no doubt.

I think so too. But this is the thing. Does that mean it is harder or easier to win a one-off World Final?

A one-off World Final was harder to win for Nielsen but, at the same time, probably easier to win for Gundersen, who was more of a 'rise to the occasion' rider.

You can't say one was easier or harder than the other. At the end of the day/series there is still only one winner,

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

You know that on all the visits I made to Dudley Wood...and there were many during the rivalry that existed between Oxford and Cradley and Nielsen and Gundersen...I don't recall partaking in such a delicacy? I know thay were for sale but I guess it just past me by. I preferred the fish 'n' chips we used to buy at Shipston-on-Stour on the way back home!

We used to have both :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think so too. But this is the thing. Does that mean it is harder or easier to win a one-off World Final?

A one-off World Final was harder to win for Nielsen but, at the same time, probably easier to win for Gundersen, who was more of a 'rise to the occasion' rider.

You can't say one was easier or harder than the other. At the end of the day/series there is still only one winner,

Fair analysis. Nielsen was more consistant and therefore dominant over any given year whereas Gundersen, as you say, could raise himself when required.