British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Lambert v Jack Holder v other top young riders

I think it's difficult to assess between J.Holder & Lambert in the Exstraliga. 

Jack has a consistent position in the team whereas Lambert being No8 gets dumped into all the tougher heats because Rybnik are so so bad as a team.

Next season should be a good comparison as I can't see Lambert & Holder not getting in an Exstraliga team's 7.

For the record, Jack is 2 years older at 24 so should actually be a bit further on than he is in his career. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Jack said as much in interview about 'the Zmarzlik effect', but one things for certain Jack won't win the SEC!!!:o;):party:

NO he is a Aussie unless they have moved it to Europe :party:

11 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

NO he is a Aussie unless they have moved it to Europe :party:

They are in Eurovision now so never say never ;):D

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Jack has a consistent position in the team whereas Lambert being No8 gets dumped into all the tougher heats because Rybnik are so so bad as a team.

Next season should be a good comparison as I can't see Lambert & Holder not getting in an Exstraliga team's 7.

For the record, Jack is 2 years older at 24 so should actually be a bit further on than he is in his career. 

I really like Jack rate him but Lambert now looks ready to kick on and be a fully fledged GP rider not so sure about Jack what do you think Daniel?? .With Lambert as a rider he has real trackcraft makes up for his frailties in gating also now he looks to have a  package mechanical wise not cheap at all to set up takes along time.Looking at Robert alongside Drabik, Kubera, Smektala ( who I rate) he is doing pretty well..

Edited by Sidney the robin

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Age has no bearing on when a rider reaches their peak. Holder seems a different rider this year so far but whether he can keep it up remains to be seen.

I think Lambert is the better rider now and has the higher ceiling potentially but he needs to get his starts sorted out to mix it on the GP stage. I half expect us to be on the cusp of a Zmarzlik era however, and for any other rider to get much change out of him could be tricky.  

• Like 1

I think the Jack Holder or Lambert debate is a redundant one.

Bartosz Zmarzlik and Dominic Kubera will dominate the world.

Edited by KeirStarmerFan
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

No he won’t but he certainly seems to come on a hell of a lot since his feeble effort at Ipswich last year.  

I think it’s a valid point that Jack didn’t want to ride for Poole last year. He wanted to stay at Somerset but was forced to leave by Somerset dropping down a league. He had been quite outspoken about his time there before and how he had been a different rider at Somerset because of how he was treated and felt more at home.

Jack was sensational for Somerset that year and is absolutely tearing it up in the Polish leagues this year. Long may that continue for both him and Lambert.

11 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Age has no bearing on when a rider reaches their peak. Holder seems a different rider this year so far but whether he can keep it up remains to be seen.

I think Lambert is the better rider now and has the higher ceiling potentially but he needs to get his starts sorted out to mix it on the GP stage. I half expect us to be on the cusp of a Zmarzlik era however, and for any other rider to get much change out of him could be tricky.  

I know age has no bearing in general but between these two it does. Holder has been around the Polish league longer + having his brother beside him, plus Monster backing all at Torun so should be more experienced & ahead of Lambert. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I know age has no bearing in general but between these two it does. Holder has been around the Polish league longer + having his brother beside him, plus Monster backing all at Torun so should be more experienced & ahead of Lambert. 

Again, those things mean little. More experience and better backing doesn’t mean better on track. Just in the same way that one day things could just click for a very experienced rider who isn’t a top level performer and they could really kick on, look at Leon Madsen and Jason Doyle. 

22 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Again, those things mean little. More experience and better backing doesn’t mean better on track. Just in the same way that one day things could just click for a very experienced rider who isn’t a top level performer and they could really kick on, look at Leon Madsen and Jason Doyle. 

I disagree... I think all these things build a rider, they don't just suddenly become good overnight due to luck. There would be many factors involved in Doyle and Madsen becoming world class. Dedication, sacrifice and mental strength appear to be big deciders on whether a rider is going to "make it"

8 hours ago, iainb said:

I disagree... I think all these things build a rider,

They CAN, but it doesn't mean they DO.

You say that having backing and family DOES help, but a lot of the time it means nothing. Having successful family members in the sport can actually hinder you because of the pressure and expectations. Having followed a famous father into a sport, I can speak from experience. Anyway, what did family do for Steven Collins, John Grahame, Kym Mauger, etc?

Dedication and desire is far more important, but it really comes down to mental strength and CONFIDENCE.

57 minutes ago, chunky said:

They CAN, but it doesn't mean they DO.

You say that having backing and family DOES help, but a lot of the time it means nothing. Having successful family members in the sport can actually hinder you because of the pressure and expectations. Having followed a famous father into a sport, I can speak from experience. Anyway, what did family do for Steven Collins, John Grahame, Kym Mauger, etc?

Dedication and desire is far more important, but it really comes down to mental strength and CONFIDENCE.

I don't think there's one recipe to build a great rider is there... Or else everybody would do it and be great

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think there's one recipe to build a great rider is there... Or else everybody would do it and be great

That's my point!

• Like 1

When Jack Holder sign for Sheffield for this season, I was a little disappointed as I would have preferred Brady Kurtz.

But following and looking at the Aussie Championships he did really well, and too be honest I please that we signed him, and had a feeling that he could have took the number 1 slot off Nicki Pedersen.

Something seems to have clicked with him and at present I would put him in the top 2 or 3 Aussie riders.

Robert Lambert is an excellent  prospect who I think could well take the top GB spot off Tai Woffinden who I think over the last couple of years lost a bit of the edge in his racing.

One of the things that gave Robert a big advantage was that he was riding abroad at a very young age, and I think that this had a massive aid to his development as a rider, and I think a young rider wants a blueprint of the best way to develop I would look at the way Robert has done things and try and follow wherever possible.

I would put Robert Lambert in front of Jack Holder at the present, but I don't think that Jack is that far behind him.  

1 hour ago, spin king said:

When Jack Holder sign for Sheffield for this season, I was a little disappointed as I would have preferred Brady Kurtz.

But following and looking at the Aussie Championships he did really well, and too be honest I please that we signed him, and had a feeling that he could have took the number 1 slot off Nicki Pedersen.

Something seems to have clicked with him and at present I would put him in the top 2 or 3 Aussie riders.

Robert Lambert is an excellent  prospect who I think could well take the top GB spot off Tai Woffinden who I think over the last couple of years lost a bit of the edge in his racing.

One of the things that gave Robert a big advantage was that he was riding abroad at a very young age, and I think that this had a massive aid to his development as a rider, and I think a young rider wants a blueprint of the best way to develop I would look at the way Robert has done things and try and follow wherever possible.

I would put Robert Lambert in front of Jack Holder at the present, but I don't think that Jack is that far behind him.  

I you would have been more than a little disappointed if Sheffield had signed the other J.Holder

• Like 1