British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Weston Super Mare Rebels!!

I’m not completely sold on the name idea but frankly they could be called just about anything as long as it’s local and in Somerset.

• Like 1

Excellent news just wondering can the old track not be taken over by the people looking to start this project or is that a non starter as I'm obviously not from that area

8 hours ago, Essex said:

Excellent news just wondering can the old track not be taken over by the people looking to start this project or is that a non starter as I'm obviously not from that area

Non starter - the clubhouse next to the track was sold off to a local fuel company for offices and the car parking and surrounding area is now covered with huge industrial units.

I haven’t been to see myself but I was told the old track had been dug up too.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’m not completely sold on the name idea but frankly they could be called just about anything as long as it’s local and in Somerset.

Seem to remember someone tried to open a track in W S M in the early 1970's at the local football or rugby ground I think. Hope this attempt has more success.

12 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Fingers crossed it happens .

100% fingers crossed!  How is  Mr G. Daniels involved does anyone know?

Fingers crossed. The Facebook Post gives off a very positive feel of a  realistic and practical project. Do we know who's behind it?

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Fingers crossed. The Facebook Post gives off a very positive feel of a  realistic and practical project. Do we know who's behind it?

I’d assumed that the consortium are those tagged to the Facebook post? (Apologies if that’s not the case)

Amongst the names are Henry Atkins dad Mike Atkins, former rider Steve Bishop and former Weymouth Wildcats promoter Brian White.

Good luck to all involved, the sport sure could do with a boost of new tracks opening 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely loved the set up at the old Oak Tree Arena and really miss my trips there. It would be great to welcome the Rebels back into the fold! All the very best of luck to the new venture

22 hours ago, Najjer said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0Tp72XcA47sAtXWEBGynypfZ39fudPnRUQk9Bd5DfgZ82iSfXVcPdgLviudMmRfGKl&id=100000674626434

Looks like being very early doors but this is positive news never the less. Speedway hopefully returning to Somerset and 15 minutes or so up the road from the old track. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Believe former rider Greg Daniels is acting as spokesman. Good luck to them but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

8 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Seem to remember someone tried to open a track in W S M in the early 1970's at the local football or rugby ground I think. Hope this attempt has more success.

it was at the football club and noise trials were held there with the Newport promotion involved 

• Thanks 1

Wish them well. Finding a bit of land though is virtually impossible, as Edinburgh found out. It there’s land that can get planning, it will attract others with deeper pockets.

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wish them well. Finding a bit of land though is virtually impossible, as Edinburgh found out. It there’s land that can get planning, it will attract others with deeper pockets.

Ever the optimist. Your comment has been really informative and helpful to the discussion

Great news hopefully.

I've always thought that if they could move a couple of Junctions up the M5 towards Bristol and tap in to that huge conurbation it could be the making of them.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1