British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Plenty of criticism of the Glasgow fence for a couple crashes during GP Final ,yet none with all the injuries in GB at various tracks with their so called safer Air Fences.There is an alarming amount of serious injuries in GB .IMO.

agree alarming number of crashes,grasstrack also suffering badly, seemingly every meeting,anybody watch bsb this weekend wow,i suppose theres always been crashes but all bikes are so fast now that the consequences are worse.will rev limiters make speedway bikes safer next yr??

9 minutes ago, poole keith said:

agree alarming number of crashes,grasstrack also suffering badly, seemingly every meeting,anybody watch bsb this weekend wow,i suppose theres always been crashes but all bikes are so fast now that the consequences are worse.will rev limiters make speedway bikes safer next yr??

Not sure its the bikes but perhaps the levels of effort/desperation that is causing more incidents? Was a time when trackcraft coupled with speed and a half decent attitude was enough to earn and keep a team place, now its solely a results based business and points matter. 

There was a time when team riding or switching order to make a different attack on a rider ahead counted now theres just scrapping for the finishing position between "team mates". 

Im sure everyone can name half a dozen riders who they think are quick but often passengers on the bike and even if these are not directly involved in crashes they are forcing others to do the same. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Don't think it's wise having such a gap in fixtures this time of year. Football seasons started, people get out the habit going every week and with the Glasgow autumn/ winter kicking in not going to help attendances

It is even more amazing in that the season started later for most if not all clubs in April rather than late March & some clubs season will end 2nd week in September. Even Leicester have had a 3 week gap.

Maybe the fixture maker(I think a guy from Edinburgh) & the BSP Ltd/SCB can get their heads together & arrange the fixtures every 3 weeks with a 1 week gap of all leagues. This would allow fixtures to be rearranged during this week for rain offs, curtailed, postponed, cup meetings when dates available for every club. Poland do it every other week so it should be feasible.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

It is even more amazing in that the season started later for most if not all clubs in April rather than late March & some clubs season will end 2nd week in September. Even Leicester have had a 3 week gap.

Maybe the fixture maker(I think a guy from Edinburgh) & the BSP Ltd/SCB can get their heads together & arrange the fixtures every 3 weeks with a 1 week gap of all leagues. This would allow fixtures to be rearranged during this week for rain offs, curtailed, postponed, cup meetings when dates available for every club. Poland do it every other week so it should be feasible.

"a guy from Edinburgh"

Says it all :rofl:

Edited by Nickinho

Does anyone know when the Glasgow fixture for that ill-concieved Jubilee thingymywatsit cup tie is scheduled?

18 hours ago, lewy said:

Was it a soft spot on the track. 

I don't think you can blame the track as I saw no other incidents in the same area!

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Once again it’s the riders who are dictating the fixtures,most Clubs can’t run every week because of rider availability .

Being honest about Speedway in general.

Would I miss it if it was gone - Probably but not as much as I would have years ago.

Would it bother me if I never returned if my track went.

Not in the slightest.

And I think this is mostly a generational thing in my opinion it is becoming less appealing to the die-hards.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

So pleased he's not as badly hurt as first thought, but don't come back too soon and make it worse short and long term.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Ouch nasty.

Good job it's not as bad as it looked.

He seems to have hit a damp patch going in to the first turn. :o

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

Not sure they are massively faster as some track records are stubbornly quite a while ago.

I think its just that the engines rev so high that they are prone to taking off. There definitely isn't the throttle control of the old 2 valve and upright 4 valve era.

Also possible that the air fence era and improved protective equipment has lulled the recent generations in to a (false) sense of security.

You see crashes now that people just wouldn't have walked away from 20 - 25 years ago. Thats MASSIVELY positive but it remains a very dangerous sport.

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Being honest about Speedway in general.

Would I miss it if it was gone - Probably but not as much as I would have years ago.

Would it bother me if I never returned if my track went.

Not in the slightest.

And I think this is mostly a generational thing in my opinion it is becoming less appealing to the die-hards.

Glad its not just me. The absolute lack of meetings this year and a lacklustre Grand Prix series have made the whole thing go flat. Four home meetings in the last nine weeks when the weather has been at its best is criminal. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MD said:

Glad its not just me. The absolute lack of meetings this year and a lacklustre Grand Prix series have made the whole thing go flat. Four home meetings in the last nine weeks when the weather has been at its best is criminal. 

I know a few fans are losing interest because of the lack of regular fixtures.They don’t make their plans around the Sport which they were in the habit of doing.Not Ideal by any means.