British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Being called a 'bad name'

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest do ethnic minorities attend football matches?

Well, seeing that that 3/4 of the players now are black...

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Okay...

I for one love a multi-cultural society; I welcome diversity. However, while there is a constant push for diversity these days, it shouldn't be expected, and it certainly shouldn't be forced. There are just some things that attract certain races/nationalities/cultures/genders, and some that don't. We have to accept that.

Agree entirely!

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Well, seeing that that 3/4 of the players now are black...

I was just curious as I don't follow football now but with having a goodly proportion of black players competing is that reflected by those watching?

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was just curious as I don't follow football now but with having a goodly proportion of black players competing is that reflected by those watching?

I do see quite a various crwd when i have watched Premier League lately. Also see a good few Japanese or Korean fans in the crowd when one of their countrymen have signed for a team

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I remember a photo of a young black kid with Bob Dugard; think his name was Paul, but I wouldn't guarantee it...

Are you sure it wasn't Kevin?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I do see quite a various crwd when i have watched Premier League lately. Also see a good few Japanese or Korean fans in the crowd when one of their countrymen have signed for a team

Exactly. When I was gowing up, British football was played by the British. Italian football was played by the Italians etc. Now, all leagues are populated by all nationalities. As far as black players, I remember the early ones like Bert Johanneson, Clyde Best, and Adi Coker. As ch958 says, diversity takes generations, which is why there are so many black English players now. Having said that, black people have NEVER really shown any great interest in motor sports in general, let alone speedway.

Edited by chunky

2 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Are you sure it wasn't Kevin?

:t: :t: :t: :t: :t:

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Exactly. When I was gowing up, British football was played by the British. Italian football was played by the Italians etc. Now, all leagues are populated by all nationalities. As far as black players, I remember the early ones like Bert Johanneson, Clyde Best, and Adi Coker. As ch958 says, diversity takes generations, which is why there are so many black English players now. Having said that, black people have NEVER really shown any great interested in motor sports in general, let alone speedway.

Only seen a handful of non white riders. Thomas Sörensen from Denmark was one who was around a while. Saw a young Chinese looking kid from Sweden once and i think there is a black youngster in Germany

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Only seen a handful of non white riders. Thomas Sörensen from Denmark was one who was around a while. Saw a young Chinese looking kid from Sweden once and i think there is a black youngster in Germany

Lewis Hamilton from F1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Exactly. When I was gowing up, British football was played by the British. Italian football was played by the Italians etc. Now, all leagues are populated by all nationalities. As far as black players, I remember the early ones like Bert Johanneson, Clyde Best, and Adi Coker. As ch958 says, diversity takes generations, which is why there are so many black English players now. Having said that, black people have NEVER really shown any great interest in motor sports in general, let alone speedway.

Adi Coker...now there's a name from the past!

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Are you thinking of Peter Clement (Denmark).?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Only "person of colour" in speedway (I think that is the preferred term now) I remember, was the late Paul Muchene who rode at Arena Essex.

Really?
You seem to have missed Antonio Lindback starting racing in the early 2000's and going on to appear in the Speedway GP series in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020...
Also, not sure about the "person of colour" categorisation...I might be out of touch with preferred terms....Would that include the crowd favourite at the Speedway of Nations this year, Philip Hellström Bängs?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Also, not sure about the "person of colour" categorisation...I might be out of touch with preferred terms..

Well, it is a preferred term here in the US - even though calling someone "coloured" is a complete no-no! Of course, despite not being able to use the term "coloured", the people are protected by the NAACP - the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People!

• Like 1