British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Why is Speedway so far behind Formula 1?

How is our great sport a million miles from F1. I watched today's classic race and it is so much more exciting than speedway.

The BSI have failed speedway.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

How is our great sport a million miles from F1. I watched today's classic race and it is so much more exciting than speedway.

Whether today's race was much more exciting than speedway is a matter of preference. Other than a bit of 'first bend bunching' and a contrived finish I thought it was run of the mill

32 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Because it is run by amateurs who have continually failed to market the product. Those in charge would have trouble making a corner shop successful let alone an entertainment product that could be so good if they had imagination and the foresight to promote it for  what it is, four riders racing hell for leather for four laps on machines with no brakes and that in itself requires a specific set of skill sets. No instead let’s piss about with rules that no one understands, teams that are not unique with double up/down and a series of league meetings which mean dick all as you have a system of play offs that mean you need only ride to a certain standard, get guests and win the championship with a group of riders who have been brought together to boost the ego of the club owner. The sport is a joke and until it is managed professionally with clubs towing an external party line, it will never attract serious sponsorship or attract main stream publicity be it press, radio or television. It has a group of hard core ageing fans watching the decline in this country of sport that in its current form is part of a bygone era. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Because it is run by amateurs who have continually failed to market the product. Those in charge would have trouble making a corner shop successful let alone an entertainment product that could be so good if they had imagination and the foresight to promote it for  what it is, four riders racing hell for leather for four laps on machines with no brakes and that in itself requires a specific set of skill sets. No instead let’s piss about with rules that no one understands, teams that are not unique with double up/down and a series of league meetings which mean dick all as you have a system of play offs that mean you need only ride to a certain standard, get guests and win the championship with a group of riders who have been brought together to boost the ego of the club owner. The sport is a joke and until it is managed professionally with clubs towing an external party line, it will never attract serious sponsorship or attract main stream publicity be it press, radio or television. It has a group of hard core ageing fans watching the decline in this country of sport that in its current form is part of a bygone era. 

Yes.....

But apart from all that? ..... 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

A billion pound Global sport run for years by the likes of Ecclestone and funded by Global sponsors and massive Global brands.

At least give Speedway a fair competitor to match it's prowess against??...

Something like Rugby League may be a fair comparison.

• Like 5

Give me speedway over F1 anyday even in the state speedway finds itself in ,I watched almost  every F1 race for years (Prost ,Senna & Co) but have not watched a single race since Schuie retired the first time  .

• Like 3

Not interested in formula one racing. I  watched formula two at Crystal Palace when i was a kid, but it never grew on me. I always preferred speedway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

If u thought that was a "classic" u need specsavers practice for 3 days put the fastest at the front and call it racing! it is the biggest non sport their is just in front of american football , cant help laugh at sky  paying all that money for a load of crap ! Oh soz that was football :rofl:

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

it is the biggest non sport their is just in front of american football 

NO! I won't have that... you're forgetting Tennis :D

• Haha 1

Who would benefit from Speedway becoming a global money making machine like F1? A very small number of riders, maybe 10 who competed at the highest level without paying for their ride. Grass roots motorsport gets no benefits from F1 so a super high profile Speedway GP series would have no benefits for the sport in the UK apart from 1 meeting a year attended for free by a lot of people with no interest and thousands of others for who it would be the only meeting of the year, just like F1.

No thanks!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

In very simple terms, the winner of the F1 World Championship is the world's best driver. The winner of the men's 100m is the world's fastest man. The World Heavyweight Champion is the toughest man in the world. Those things will always cut through because they are meaningful to most people on the planet. Being the best to slide a bike round an oval dirt circuit on machines no-one has heard of, is meaningless to the vast majority of the planet.

Excitement is a matter of opinion, I have always found speedway a whole lot more interesting than F1 and always will. It's preaching to the choir on a speedway forum of course. We are obviously in the minority globally and that won't change. Speedway just has to present itself a lot better in the key markets who are interested.

Of course the marketing and packaging leaves a lot to be desired. But - in my opinion - BSI are the least guilty party in this area. Most of the SGPs are at least comparable with most other "global" sport series in terms of spectacle. Anything served up by the BSPA is a notable step down from any major domestic events from other sports.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Anything served up by the BSPA is a notable step down from any major domestic events from other sports.

Eg The British Final...

In and around Manchester there has been virtually zero advertising either via visual adverts around the city, or local media audio and visual coverage since it has been there...

2.5 million people live within a 45 min travelling radius and a sporting national championship is taking part close to their homes..

At a track a stones throw away from a city centre which attracts 100's of thousands each week to work or play.. 

The flagship of the countries domestic calendar, and the pinnacle award for any GB rider domestically...

Every team should be made to set aside budgets for these key meetings.

Instead, massive sums are spent on riders collectively who make hardly any difference to a crowd level by their presence or not, yet very little is spent in comparison on advertising that may make a positive impact to crowd numbers...

A strange plan indeed...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Difference is there is credibility in either Max or Lewis being World champion, more so than Team GB winning the SON, or a team finishing in the bottom half of the league becoming champions, that is the difference between F1 and Speedway.

Speedway is - lets have a long drawn out competition and then just toss a coin and render all before it meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, marko said:

Difference is there is credibility in either Max or Lewis being World champion, more so than Team GB winning the SON, or a team finishing in the bottom half of the league becoming champions, that is the difference between F1 and Speedway.

Speedway is - lets have a long drawn out competition and then just toss a coin and render all before it meaningless.

Sounds about right.