British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

51 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Completely agree.  This is why I find Polish extraleague quite boring because I enjoy watching riders mastering a track or failing badly and it's not always about overtaking or the best set up bike.

Completely agree regarding the different skills required in GB,but unfortunately the modern day riders are not interested they just want to earn money abroad..

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Completely agree regarding the different skills required in GB,but unfortunately the modern day riders are not interested they just want to earn money abroad..

And to benchmark yourself you really need to be in Poland and/or Sweden..

Years ago when the best were over here you could do the same, so it was another advantage to riding here...

As we can see, not many seem to miss riding over here anymore...

And, to be fair, the intensity level of leagues over here, where you share riders on any given night, cannot be the same as riding in leagues which offer big financial rewards and publicity, and you are tied to one team with a tribal, fervent following..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And to benchmark yourself you really need to be in Poland and/or Sweden..

Years ago when the best were over here you could do the same, so it was another advantage to riding here...

As we can see, not many seem to miss riding over here anymore...

And, to be fair, the intensity level of leagues over here, where you share riders on any given night, cannot be the same as riding in leagues which offer big financial rewards and publicity, and you are tied to one team with a tribal, fervent following..

You only have to see the fans in Poland to realise they are supporting “their” Team ,guests certainly would not be welcomed.Great atmosphere although seemingly can get a bit volatile at times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Reminds me of the trip we made to Poland in 2000 where we took in the final GP at Bydgoszcz, & on the Sunday drove up to Pila for a league meeting.When we entered the stadium we were told that because we weren't local we must go into the fenced off section reserved for visitors. Very intimidating area !! Fortunately someone involved in the Pila club found out we were there , they came round and rescued us  & took us to sit alongside them in the better seats where they kept us involved all afternoon & even took photos which they put up on their website .Turned out to be a very decent afternoon.:D

22 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The stadium hasn’t actually been sold. So we can if have the funds purchase it.

18 hours ago, speed29 said:

Yeah get new track home!!! and its stupid building house all time not good, come on leave speedway alone. Edinburgh fans want team to keep going!!!! 

16 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Where to find that kind of money will be the problem or they could have bought it years ago. I believe it has planning permission for housing.( could be wrong though)

Answering all 3 questions at once is easy, put a plan together and buy it.

Over several years many Football teams went bust through bad management and ill advice. Grounds shut or demolished.

Scarborough, Bury and Macclesfield all suffered, but with hard work by local business people and fans and with council help are all on a great financial footing.

Both Bury and Scarborough are fan owned, so why not a speedway club? 

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Over several years many Football teams went bust through bad management and ill advice. Grounds shut or demolished.

Scarborough, Bury and Macclesfield all suffered, but with hard work by local business people and fans and with council help are all on a great financial footing.

Where is a Speedway Promotion liable to find the funds in this case, would be my Question.Comparing football to speedway is not really compatible.IMO

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Where is a Speedway Promotion liable to find the funds in this case, would be my Question.Comparing football to speedway is not really compatible.IMO

Also stadium with planning use restricted to leisure activies: Market value £500,000 to £1million

Stadium with planning permission for residential development: marketvalue £5 to £10 million.

Note figures are illustrative and dependant on location and a host of other factors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Also stadium with planning use restricted to leisure activies: Market value £500,000 to £1million

Stadium with planning permission for residential development: marketvalue £5 to £10 million.

Note figures are illustrative and dependant on location and a host of other factors.

I believe Armadale already has outline planning for a housing development.( I stand corrected if I am wrong)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, secsy1 said:

When football grounds get sold for development in nearly all cases a new ground emerges.

Guessing the greyhound people own the stadium so a sale supports their ailing business these days.

Sadly speedway isn’t seen as a community necessity that football is.

I think a few of the greyhound stadiums were bought by the big bookies - I suspect there is good money for them in the betting on greyhounds so they do not want to see that sport go.

2 minutes ago, Fina said:

I think a few of the greyhound stadiums were bought by the big bookies - I suspect there is good money for them in the betting on greyhounds so they do not want to see that sport go.

But there’s not been greyhound racing at Armadale since 2016. There are only two greyhound tracks left in Scotland - Shawfield and a “flapper” track in Fife

1 minute ago, Wee Eck said:

But there’s not been greyhound racing at Armadale since 2016. There are only two greyhound tracks left in Scotland - Shawfield and a “flapper” track in Fife

I was thinking more general than just Scotland, sure some of the tracks were up for sale for development and bought up by bookies.  No way a bookie would step in for speedway as nowt in it for them.

7 minutes ago, Fina said:

I was thinking more general than just Scotland, sure some of the tracks were up for sale for development and bought up by bookies.  No way a bookie would step in for speedway as nowt in it for them.

Was the last big deal not when Oxford, Belle Vue and a third track I can’t remember (Wimbledon?) were bought from the GRA by a Guy Hands company with the sole intention of closing them down and selling the land for development. A bit like Sandhu at Coventry. If it was Wimbledon, then it has been redeveloped and Belle Vue is well on the way to being a housing estate. The only one that escaped the permanent closure of greyhound racing was Oxford

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Was the last big deal not when Oxford, Belle Vue and a third track I can’t remember (Wimbledon?) were bought from the GRA by a Guy Hands company with the sole intention of closing them down and selling the land for development. A bit like Sandhu at Coventry. If it was Wimbledon, then it has been redeveloped and Belle Vue is well on the way to being a housing estate. The only one that escaped the permanent closure of greyhound racing was Oxford

Done a bit of digging in my archives and its Ladbrookes Coral that I was thinking of who own a few greyhound tracks, including Monmore Green, or did at the time I was looking into it.  

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

And they are trying to close them. Horse racing next on their hit list then it'll be fishing they'll get round to speedway eventually.

• Haha 1