British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

9 hours ago, King Jamie said:

I remember asking the question a number of years ago on the Chatzone re the club's name, as in, "does it have to be 'Edinburgh Monarchs'?"

My reasoning was along the lines of, over the years, we've also been 'Coatbridge Monarchs' as well as 'Scottish Monarchs'. City of Edinburgh Council didn't want us (presumably still don't), so why not change to Armadale Monarchs or something similar? Does it really make a difference?

Some of the replies were 'interesting' and it seemed quite a few posters were completely against the idea.

Roll forward to the present day, and assuming CEC are still anti-speedway, I don't really see what other choice we have. Change identity or die a death :(

You do not necessarily need to restrict the name as "Edinburgh" to a location within the boundary of CEC.

When we ran at Powderhall, there was significant home support from the surrounding Lothians.

When we moved to Shawfield, I would suggest we lost big chunk of our support because the increased travelling & also those whose exclusive affinity was with a team called Edinburgh Monarchs.

Would you still follow Hearts if they moved to Dalkeith & rebadged as "The Harps" ?:shock:

Agree you have no idea, and suggest you actually go to a Devils match to appreciate that it would be unrealistic to expect running @ Ashfield to be anything other than loss maker.

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

A NL side as a 2nd team will always be poorly attended compared to a NL side as the only team. Could get more fans as there is no senior side to watch?

Wether it's feasible financially, I have no idea.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, JanAndersen said:

What's the downside? A speedway track gets used an absolute maximum of one day a week on average. If you can make that two and get some income through rental then would seem worthwhile. I can't see it happening but not because Glasgow wouldn't do it. All IMO of course.

the down side its glasgow and who would do the track do you think they would let anyone else touch it ?

58 minutes ago, davie10 said:

the down side its glasgow and who would do the track do you think they would let anyone else touch it ?

No, why would anyone else want to touch it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

No, why would anyone else want to touch it? 

Methinks deep down Davie 10 would like to touch it again……….lol ;)

Anybody got a weather update as to the chances of the Devils V Colts meeting taking place tonight. ?.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Anybody got a weather update as to the chances of the Devils V Colts meeting taking place tonight. ?.

Look on NDL page for update

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cyclone said:

Would you still follow Hearts if they moved to Dalkeith & rebadged as "The Harps" ?:shock:

I wouldn't follow Hearts if i had a gun held to my head

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

https://www.edinburghmonarchs.co.uk/news-centre/article/2022-10-05/monarchs-vow-to-fight-on-to-secure-long-term-future

First official mention of extending the lease at Armadale into 2023 as far as I am aware. 

Talks have been ongoing with the Cochrane family to extend our stay into 2023. As it stands the stadium has been taken off the market but has yet to be sold. 

I’m certain the owners would rather have another years lease rather than sitting on an empty stadium. Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Edin03 said:

Talks have been ongoing with the Cochrane family to extend our stay into 2023. As it stands the stadium has been taken off the market but has yet to be sold. 

I’m certain the owners would rather have another years lease rather than sitting on an empty stadium. Fingers crossed 

Would make sense for all parties we get to ride in 2023 while looking and hopefully finding a piece of land to build and ride on in 2024. I know the council are still helping us look. So they haven’t given up on us thankfully. 
Would also make sense for the Cochrane family to make another years rent. As stated they have taken it off the market without a buyer. They have had two very good bids by people involved with Edinburgh speedway but have rejected them and are sticking to their one million pound asking price which I don’t think is currently realistic.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that they will let you stay for 2023 season whilst you have more time to long for something long term. 

• Like 2

But but but - all our team has already been allocated elsewhere for 2023 - well according to BSF team lineups for next season!!:D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Would make sense for all parties we get to ride in 2023 while looking and hopefully finding a piece of land to build and ride on in 2024. I know the council are still helping us look. So they haven’t given up on us thankfully. 
Would also make sense for the Cochrane family to make another years rent. As stated they have taken it off the market without a buyer. They have had two very good bids by people involved with Edinburgh speedway but have rejected them and are sticking to their one million pound asking price which I don’t think is currently realistic.

Good to hear WLC are still helping, despite the numpties alleging "brown envelopes" & "corruption" of them, without producing a shred of evidence to back this up.

Apparently one house builder reviewed the site and considered the land unviable for developing for housing.  I believe there was suggestions of historical ground contamination of the site due to the dumping of waste slag earlier from a then nearby foundry.

41 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Good to hear WLC are still helping, despite the numpties alleging "brown envelopes" & "corruption" of them, without producing a shred of evidence to back this up.

Apparently one house builder reviewed the site and considered the land unviable for developing for housing.  I believe there was suggestions of historical ground contamination of the site due to the dumping of waste slag earlier from a then nearby foundry.

Edited by SlicktrackSandy
spelling error