British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Why does everybody hate Poole?

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I try to defend my team when I think I need to, I don't defend them when they have bent or twisted the rules as they have done in the past a few times, I don't deny that but since we have been in the championship I don't remember any times when this has happened. I like the rivalry we have had over the years and the Glasgow Tigers rivalry is great and good for both teams and the sport in general I believe. We have been rightly criticized in the past for our bumpy track but that is not the case now. There are some who will always hold a Grudge against us and although we will always want to win a friendly rivalry with other teams is a good thing in my opinion. 

A few, come on Blue... ;).  That and they have one or 2 annoying posters that would argue that black is white to protect Ford and the club. I don't mind them at all now they are in the 2nd tier Championship  :) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

We at Sheffield miss out on all the fun with Poole,we haven't faced them since 1996!

Blimey!! Though you prob wouldn't have Jack Holder if we stayed in the top league ;)

5 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I don't think it compares with Coventry, that was much more than a rivalry!!

Give it time it might get there! ;):D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottyJ said:

Some really interesting comments here, hate is a strong word but if there was a team I dislike the most it's probably Coventry! 

Just cos of the local rivalry or other reasons? 

Theres only one Poole i have any liking for and thats Mick

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I try to defend my team when I think I need to, I don't defend them when they have bent or twisted the rules as they have done in the past a few times, I don't deny that but since we have been in the championship I don't remember any times when this has happened. I like the rivalry we have had over the years and the Glasgow Tigers rivalry is great and good for both teams and the sport in general I believe. We have been rightly criticized in the past for our bumpy track but that is not the case now. There are some who will always hold a Grudge against us and although we will always want to win a friendly rivalry with other teams is a good thing in my opinion. 

If the meeting between our two sides at Glasgow a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by , then bring it on . Poole , Glasgow , Leicester and possibly Redcar are looking like the four likeliest winners of trophies this season , with Poole looking favourites , but the end of the season could be a bit special 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Just cos of the local rivalry or other reasons? 

Personal reasons but put it this way I'd like them at the tapes

• Like 2

Belle Vue pre war Wembley post war then Wimbledon were disliked because they were winners. Then rider control evened out team strengths and only Belle Vue in the 70’s and Cradley dominated.

When Newcastle returned in 1975 and having a promoter who could find loop holes in the rules, Newcastle were the team

to hate but the opposition always had the best crowd of their season because so many fans came along because they hoped

to see us lose.

Unfortunately this didn't happen very often and this is why prior to 1984 we were the most successful team the National

League had seen for many years, yes I did want us to go back into the Premier League but the team was not strong enough

and so results affected the crowd and we closed at the end of the year.

Was classed as a local derby when Swindon Wiltshire rode Poole Dorset, even though over 70 miles apart. Some people jealous of Poole's success I suppose. Don't hate them as I have Dorset ancestry, the Knobs.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Paulco said:

If the meeting between our two sides at Glasgow a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by , then bring it on . Poole , Glasgow , Leicester and possibly Redcar are looking like the four likeliest winners of trophies this season , with Poole looking favourites , but the end of the season could be a bit special 

A long way to go yet and lots can happen.

just like to say i do not hate poole , if thats okay .

8 minutes ago, jenga said:

Same here.... I've been known to applaud Poole at the end of a meeting. ... although the last time was 1969 when they won 49-29 at Wolves. That was a great 'team' in the days of team Speedway. This was before the curse of doubling up, cynical average manipulation and excessive rider replacement took hold! 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Paulco said:

not while we're a 6 and sometimes 5 man team, too reliant on our top 3.

1 hour ago, jenga said:

Too busy hating Glasgow I suppose ;) But we'll take that! :t: