British Speedway Forum

Just now, HGould said:

I agree

Tai, Dan , Robert should have invites to British Final.

If they decline fair enough.

British Champion should be a badge of great honour like it used to be.

Not a Pass in to a GP at Cardiff or a Competition of "the best of the rest".

In 5 years it's possible the 10 best British riders WILL be riding  in Poland regularly and may only ride in UK when it suits. The situation in Sweden may be a bigger factor there than anything though as if UK becomes better "second option" than Sweden then who knows.

The British Final should be marketed as "the very best of britain" (by birth)

By birth …..?

so no Mark Loram ?

no Adam Ellis ? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

By birth …..?

so no Mark Loram ?

no Adam Ellis ? 

Maybe "birth right" would have been a better phrase to use? 

Good luck to Adam in Cardiff...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:

By birth …..?

so no Mark Loram ?

no Adam Ellis ? 

yeah that landed wrong, I meant British Passport - clearly Mark and Adam should and would qualify ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Nutshell:  Not sure of the exact regs or rider opinions on then night but as the meeting didn't reach a satisfactory result to 'just let the previous winner keep the title' is a new rule on me.  Obviously very disapponting to the riders well in the running, gotta feel for Harris & Brennan in particular, and surely once the meeting, pretty much any meeting, starts there is no holder of the title as it is effectively vacant and so up for grabs.  Of the top of my head way back 1977 the then World Junior Final, now World U21, after 3 rides each (I think) the meeting was rained off with Joe Owen & Alf Busk, and maybe Les Collins, tied on 9 points so a coin toss decided the winner, which was Busk.  Ok many moons ago and an FIM event, opposed to an SCB / BSPL meeting, but the coin toss was between the two 2 (or 3) leading riders at the time of the stoppage.  (can't recall anymore as it's 2.49am & I'm v tired)  TBF Ellis didn't look too happy at still being British Champion and securing the Cardiff GP Wild Card given the circumstances, but sadly the 2022 British Final had an unsatisfactory ending for everyone.....

Ellis was and still is 2021 British Champion.

As regards the rules for the 2022 British championship there were only two options within the rules:

1] declare a result using countback regulations, or

2] abandon without a result with the intention to rerun at a later date 

It appears nobody was happy with option A which would have meant drawing of lots.

The choice of Cardiff wildcard is a separate matter and the SCB made a pragmatic and reasonable decision in picking Ellis.

PS No lots were involved in 1977 European Junior Championship. Scores after 12 heats: Busk 9, Owen 8,  Collins 7. 2005 on the other hand....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good luck to Adam in the GP, most sensible decision to include the current British number One.

Cheers Chopper

10 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Nutshell:  Not sure of the exact regs or rider opinions on then night but as the meeting didn't reach a satisfactory result to 'just let the previous winner keep the title' is a new rule on me .

That  has never happened ..The previous winner been given the wildcard . Ellis just like any other isport  is the Current champion until its  ran again and we have a new champion  ..nothing new about that .

• Like 3

Maybe some fall out from this will also be to run the meeting earlier in the season? Well before the GP itself...

The first reason being the obvious one that it could still be concluded if it got rained off, without recourse to "in the event of" regulations..

And the other being the winner gets a decent amount of time to prepare for the GP itself.. 

It is a huge opportunity for riders, and this year, whoever won it, it wouldn't leave them much time for bike prep when they need top kit,  gaining extra sponsors wanting to be seen around the globe, and planning how to actually look after sponsors on the night...

Lots to do logistically so the more prep time the better..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

Ellis was and still is 2021 British Champion.

As regards the rules for the 2022 British championship there were only two options within the rules:

1] declare a result using countback regulations, or

2] abandon without a result with the intention to rerun at a later date 

It appears nobody was happy with option A which would have meant drawing of lots.

The choice of Cardiff wildcard is a separate matter and the SCB made a pragmatic and reasonable decision in picking Ellis.

PS No lots were involved in 1977 European Junior Championship. Scores after 12 heats: Busk 9, Owen 8,  Collins 7. 2005 on the other hand....

Thanks for 2022 rule update.  Musta bin another year when a championship was decided by a coin toss, pretty sure it happened though; poss Tony Briggs / Dennis Sigalos / Ron Preston / (early) Tommy Knudsen & Erik Gundersen U21 era ?...

On 8/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, HGould said:

Fair play to Dan and Lambert who were not afraid to jump in to the toughest League and try to progress rather than stay in comfort zones.

It's clear to see how quickly Brennan has done the same, he would probably not have progressed as quickly had circumstances not forced his hand and it's sad they did but every cloud has a silver lining and circumstances made  his mnd up but moving to Belle Vue and Glasgow, power big tracks has bought him on far quicker than had he stayed in his comfort zone at Eastbourne.

He needs to be riding in Polish middle tier regularly next season to ensure he keeps up with some of his Under 24 peers in Poland , Czech and Scandinavia. No reason he can't do that and ride for BV and Glasgow either. 

Bewley would have progressed anyway, no matter where he rode, in my opinion.  He was on the upward curve anyway.  There's nothing about being afraid either if you're offered an eye watering salary.  I see other old hands such as Hampel and Protaseiwicz are still doing well.  The poles didn't do so well when up against the others at the SON did they, so the view of where might be tough is different depending on who you are.

Edited by SPEEDY69
spelling

6 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Bewley would have progressed anyway, no matter where he rode, in my opinion.  He was on the upward curve anyway.  There's nothing about being afraid either if you're offered an eye watering salary.  I see other old hands such as Hampel and Protaseiwicz are still doping well.  The tpoles didn't do so well when up against the others at the SON did they, so the view of where might be tough is different depending on who you are.

But would he have progressed at the rate he has without an Extraliga spot? Doubtful I'd say. The top division in Poland is the place to be if you have aspirations of being and becoming world class, the sooner Brennan can get himself there the better for his development 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

But would he have progressed at the rate he has without an Extraliga spot? Doubtful I'd say. The top division in Poland is the place to be if you have aspirations of being and becoming world class, the sooner Brennan can get himself there the better for his development 

Sure Tommy B will be heading that way. On podcasts during lock-down Martin Dugard was saying Tom needed to get more European experience he has done that this season and I am sure with a strong performance in the SGP2 next week and I am sure he will be representing his Polish team more regularly in 2023. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think he would - it's not as though he wouldn't have had opportunities to race there.  I do accept though that the added coin in his pocket will have allowed him to spend more on his support team and there is more pressure from the media/fans there to do well.

4 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I think he would - it's not as though he wouldn't have had opportunities to race there.  I do accept though that the added coin in his pocket will have allowed him to spend more on his support team and there is more pressure from the media/fans there to do well.

Plus the main thing is that racing against faster (the fastest) riders makes him go faster and facing them week in week out means its sink or swim. Both he and Lambert have gone to a different level since riding in that league regularly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Plus the main thing is that racing against faster (the fastest) riders makes him go faster and facing them week in week out means its sink or swim. Both he and Lambert have gone to a different level since riding in that league regularly.

Sink or swim maybe but I remember people on here wetting themselves thinking how dominant Musielak would be in this league but he's only managed a GSA of 8.09 (7.67 away from Sheffield).  Holder has been even worse in the UK.  Perhaps it's here where riders are developed ;)

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Haha 1