auntie doris

Oxford 2022

17 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Not at Poole, I always pay cash. 

Best way 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mc131 said:

Best way 

Especially when most people pay by card. As if you want to pay by cash at Poole I think you have to go through the glass stand entrance. Every now and again there will shout ' if anyone is paying by cash, join this line' and you skip past 3/4 of the other queue which is card payments! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Technik said:

During my time I have been one of the merry band of volunteers at a few tracks for pre-season duties & then throughout the season & yes my reward was free entry for myself & usually a programme, At one track there would be a tray of sandwichs & a fruit cake for us after racing,

The biggest problem in recent years as the single volunteer still gets their entry & often a programme or at least a race sheet. But greed has become a factor & many expect to be able to bring a group of family & friends in with them & if one volunteer brings 5 people in for free that works out to be £2K+ by October. You don't need many of those before you have a big dent in your budget.

Was told by a sponsor at Swindon that up to 400 got in free in various guises. A big dent if only 1200 are paying.

Saw the heat 15 video of Oxfords surprise defeat to Berwick, the crowd looked well down compared to our visit last month against Glasgow.

43 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Was told by a sponsor at Swindon that up to 400 got in free in various guises. A big dent if only 1200 are paying.

Saw the heat 15 video of Oxfords surprise defeat to Berwick, the crowd looked well down compared to our visit last month against Glasgow.

I would say most clubs get bigger crowds when Glasgow visit! 

• Like 1

Always difficult to judge, can be anything from 100-250 inside. Does having the BSN cover it make a lot of difference? Maybe if travelling from further away.

In general thou, crowd figures very encouraging, including the National League racing.

• Like 1

Strikes me that Troy Batchelor has constantly under performed for Oxford this season...heard reports that when running a last recently at Cowley was popping wheelies!

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Strikes me that Troy Batchelor has constantly under performed for Oxford this season...heard reports that when running a last recently at Cowley was popping wheelies!

Batchelor should definitely be doing better, averaged over 9 for Kent last season, but I'd have him back next year on a 7.20'ish average.

He was popping wheelies in ht15 last wk, was a long last at the time and the meeting was won, seen other riders do the same. 

Could barely score a point on Wednesday for Oxford then paid 16 for Ipswich against Belle Vue the following night, you just have to accept that sort of thing when you sign him.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Batchelor should definitely be doing better, averaged over 9 for Kent last season, but I'd have him back next year on a 7.20'ish average.

He was popping wheelies in ht15 last wk, was a long last at the time and the meeting was won, seen other riders do the same. 

Could barely score a point on Wednesday for Oxford then paid 16 for Ipswich against Belle Vue the following night, you just have to accept that sort of thing when you sign him.

Had been told that he doesn't bother (his own quote) if he misses the gate?

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

That’s a fact,obviously getting paid too much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

To me he has always  appeared to be a moody character with "an attitude". I have my own nickname for him "the incredible sulk".:D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Let’s be honest I can of a few riders who play that game

• Like 1

Reminds me of Terry Wogan''s CLOC!  The Centre Lane Owners Club. So, stay safe, don't drift into the fast lane. 

In Speedway terms:

1)  Make sure the team wins at home - that keeps the home fans off your back.

2)  lower your average - guarantee of doubling up.

3) low average = more guest bookings.... where you entertain your possible future teams.

4) if you win your first three races... then throw an EF... it gets the average down!

Simples! 

• Like 2

I think the reason for pre-booking is to have accurate figures for admission as they have a limited capacity at Oxford placed on them by the council/health and safety.

As much as we all love having speedway back in Oxford there are (as always) those that want it to fail and would think nothing of reporting the club if they get the chance. some animal charities are calling for the stadium to close (not just the dogs side of things), new residents that had no knowledge of speedway running and the noise when they brought their properties, parking on sandy lane even though the club has been given permission to use another businesses car park. 

I have myself moaned about the ticket situation but it’s just something we have to put up with for now, hopefully when the Health and Safety see’s fit the restrictions on capacity will be removed.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, Dave Jones said:

To me he has always  appeared to be a moody character with "an attitude". I have my own nickname for him "the incredible sulk".:D

We refer to him as Bratchelor. I have never been a fan! I am willing to support riders through a sticky patch as long as they are trying but more often than not if he isn’t at the front he doesn’t care. He has himself said he is only interested in winning and nothing else. I think he has upset a lot of promoters and fans over the years with his attitude.

To answer Steve Roberts: Yes on more than one occasion home and away he has given up the chase and started popping wheelies, it has not gone down well with the crowd. Not only that but if he was racing it only takes a second for someone to slip up and there are points available!

• Like 1

It’s going to happen when riders are on a guarantee

• Like 3