British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Great match. :t:

Would love to see the likes of Doyle,  Zmarszlik and Bewley on these little 250s.. :P 

Yes, that would be interesting.

would also like to see today GP stars riding 500cc 2 valve Jawa engines bikes. Probably see closer racing, just a tad slower.

20 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Great match. :t:

Would love to see the likes of Doyle,  Zmarszlik and Bewley on these little 250s.. :P 

My feeling is that, despite the engines being tuned etc., the 250s are much more evenly matched. This naturaly leads to more closely fought races and puts more emphasis on rider skills. This is just a theory of course, but it seems to fit the facts. 

2 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

would also like to see today GP stars riding 500cc 2 valve Jawa engines bikes. Probably see closer racing, just a tad slower.

And this post, that appeared whilst I was composing mine, seems to be in the same vane.

An interesting side note. Someone prominent in the speedway world said in my hearing recently that the worse thing speedway ever did was to announce race times. Hmmm, makes you think.

• Like 2

Thought the whole programme was great and a real incentive for the lads to get to the final on a real track in a magnificent stadium.  I hope the FIM continue development programmes like this.

congratulations to the first three especially Mickel Andersen . Something tells me that the Polish lad who was third is going to be a real personality if he sticks to the sport. Ace and Luke weren’t disgraced by any means and performed well, congratulations to those that work with them in Berwick academy.. finally ,absolutely brilliant to see Brian Andersen again after all these years. I’ve never seen him so happy..

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:51 PM, OveFundinFan said:

Taking rough average winning times from the GP last night and comparing them to SGP3 winning times, not a scientific comparison at all, but most average winning times last night were 1m 3sec, or 1m 4sec compared to 1m 8sec for the kids on 250's, so only roughly one second per lap slower for the young lads. I was surprised that the difference was so small. 

It would be interesting to see the power ratios for modern 500cc and 250cc bikes.

1 hour ago, jrs said:

Taking rough average winning times from the GP last night and comparing them to SGP3 winning times, not a scientific comparison at all, but most average winning times last night were 1m 3sec, or 1m 4sec compared to 1m 8sec for the kids on 250's, so only roughly one second per lap slower for the young lads. I was surprised that the difference was so small. 

It would be interesting to see the power ratios for modern 500cc and 250cc bikes.

Thanks for that. I was trying to remember Fridays times.           
So sticking the full GP riders on a 2valve Jawa would mean they would be going a bit slower, probably require more skill to pass, cost would be thousands of £’s less to riders/promotors.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Thanks for that. I was trying to remember Fridays times.           
So sticking the full GP riders on a 2valve Jawa would mean they would be going a bit slower, probably require more skill to pass, cost would be thousands of £’s less to riders/promotors.

But still it gets worse.

Brian Karger invents a new fancy ignition box. Programmable with different engine mapping settings no doubt.
Anders Thomsen is the "guinea pig" and wins a GP using it (shades of Egon Muller, eh?).
Virtually everyone in the pits, 2 GPs later, has one.

Now those of us that have been around a while, will not find any of the above very surprising. What did take me back was Kelvin (or was it Chris?) saying in commentary that the pits were full of these boxes the night before, i.e. on the 250s in the SGP3 Final.

Edited by False dawn

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

But still it gets worse.

Brian Karger invents a new fancy ignition box. Programmable with different engine mapping settings no doubt.
Anders Thomsen is the "guinea pig" and wins a GP using it (shades of Egon Muller, eh?).

Now those of us that have been around a while, will not find any of the above very surprising. What did take me back was Kelvin (or was it Chris?) saying in commentary that the pits were full of these boxes the night before, i.e. on the 250s in the SGP3 Final.

Brian Karger was in Wroclaw for the SGP 3 i gather.

9 hours ago, False dawn said:

But still it gets worse.

So, once everyone has a “smart Karger box” the one time benefit is reduced, so just scrap its use now.

11 hours ago, False dawn said:

But still it gets worse.

Also shades of Smolinski when he won a GP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

So, once everyone has a “smart Karger box” the one time benefit is reduced, so just scrap its use now.

Imagine if they had done that when the first lay-down appearedB)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Brian Karger was in Wroclaw for the SGP 3 i gather.

He was indeed. Most of the kids in the top got one of these boxes.

Although it was said that it was 'unfair' to the other kids as these boxes are quite an investment.

I can't believe what I've just seen! I've just managed to catch up with this after hearing good reports and I must say it was one of the most entertaining Speedway meetings I think I've ever seen... it was much more like the sport I fell in love with in the the late 70's. I'd love to see a full meeting with the senior's riding these 250cc machines, don't suppose it'll ever happen though. 

Well done to Axeman jnr!