British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

6 minutes ago, enotian said:

When for me speedway at its best is like ballet not a bucking bronco.

When I watched speedway as a kid, one of the big attractions for me was watching all those he-men struggling to control a bucking bronco in deep dirt! And they managed it. You have to appreciate ALL aspects of the sport, but mostly the control - even when control seems impossible. The power of the bikes these days does make it physically impossible, which is why they can't race on dirt...

Edited by chunky

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

When I watched speedway as a kid, one of the big attractions for me was watching all those he-men struggling to control a bucking bronco in deep dirt! And they managed it. You have to appreciate ALL aspects of the sport, but mostly the control - even when control seems impossible. The power of the bikes these days does make it physically impossible, which is why they can't race on dirt...

but that wasn't the problem tonight though was it.  too much dirt.  it was an unfit track. rutted up making it extremely difficult to slide the bike. I'm sure it wasn't the sort of spectacle the organisers would have wanted.

52 minutes ago, enotian said:

but that wasn't the problem tonight though was it.  too much dirt.  it was an unfit track. rutted up making it extremely difficult to slide the bike.

The fact is that the bikes react the same to dirt, ruts, holes etc; they just take off...

10 hours ago, chunky said:

The fact is that the bikes react the same to dirt, ruts, holes etc; they just take off...

and I imagine riders/bikes of yesteryear would have struggled to slide on that track. we can't keep blaming the bikes for every ill.  Sport is about being fitter, faster, stronger, skilful or more intelligent/fearless than your opponents. yes there has to be regulation of the machinery but the clue is in the title 'speed'way, the whole ethos is to go faster. this isn't a tortoise and hare sport the hare should always win. and we see how thrilling the sport can be when the riders are given the right surface to perform.

different if the bikes have become unrideable on all tracks but to an extent that's self regulating as the riders wouldn't use bikes they can't ride.

look at football. I love the retro matches from the 70's but the standard was rubbish because the pitches were awful. fast forward to 2022 and now Coventry are cancelling fixtures because their pitch isn't good enough, I bet its way better than what teams used to play on. but the authorities have realised that the sport should be played on surfaces that reward skill over chance or strength. Speedway should be no different.

• Like 1

Greg Hancock was saying to Scotty Nicholls yesterday that when he rode on temporary tracks such as Cardiff he would use a different, heavier bike, as lighter one would take off over ruts. Before the semis yesterday some riders in front of us at bend one, the worse, were slowing down like a junior/ amateur rider going into a bend. The tractors, rakers did a good job to get it rideable again, farce of a situation.

Edited by auntie doris

Liked Jason Crump’s comments ‘we raced on worse didn’t we Scott’ ! 

All in all it made for a poor spectacle and now possibly brings Belle Vue into the equation - so long as it doesn’t rain!

13 minutes ago, GWC said:

Liked Jason Crump’s comments ‘we raced on worse didn’t we Scott’ ! 

All in all it made for a poor spectacle and now possibly brings Belle Vue into the equation - so long as it doesn’t rain!

Better track but stadium far too small.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 9:53 PM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Watching the GP from Cardiff tonight. Shame about the track the most positive thing I took from the meeting on TV was Scott's interview with top gears Chris Harris. He seemed genuinely impressed & the comment perfect blue print for a evening of motor sport at least shows there is something positive.

Well, that's one on the attendance for next year... all we have to do now is get him to pay for a ticket ;)

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well, that's one on the attendance for next year... all we have to do now is get him to pay for a ticket ;)

It seems that for people who were watching speedway for the first time, this was actually a great meeting.

I've just seen a post on Facebook by people saying ti was their first meeting and they loved it and intend to go next year.

Also, my son's mate came along, and in the car on the way home he phoned his dad and was saying how brilliant it was, how there were loads of people there and how he wants to go again next year.

Imagine what these people would have thought if there has been great racing and a bigger crowd.

I hope that the crowds will be back to at least previous levels next year. There are many factors this year that could have affected attendance.

I also hope the organisers come out and explain the problems with the track, and how they are going to rectify them.

A bad track can happen. Wasn't it Warsaw where it happened a few years back? I hope the poor track this year doesn't cause the attendance to drop again. This is more of a spectacle with more people watching.

The atmosphere in the stadium was still brilliant, but there were far too many empty seats where there used to be crowds.

The riders not trying to race were a let down too. If Dan and Jack Holder - who only got into the series as substitutes - could ride it, there's no reason why the other riders couldn't.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

It seems that for people who were watching speedway for the first time, this was actually a great meeting.

I've just seen a post on Facebook by people saying ti was their first meeting and they loved it and intend to go next year.

Also, my son's mate came along, and in the car on the way home he phoned his dad and was saying how brilliant it was, how there were loads of people there and how he wants to go again next year.

Imagine what these people would have thought if there has been great racing and a bigger crowd.

I hope that the crowds will be back to at least previous levels next year. There are many factors this year that could have affected attendance.

I also hope the organisers come out and explain the problems with the track, and how they are going to rectify them.

A bad track can happen. Wasn't it Warsaw where it happened a few years back? I hope the poor track this year doesn't cause the attendance to drop again. This is more of a spectacle with more people watching.

The atmosphere in the stadium was still brilliant, but there were far too many empty seats where there used to be crowds.

The riders not trying to race were a let down too. If Dan and Jack Holder - who only got into the series as substitutes - could ride it, there's no reason why the other riders couldn't.

I loved my first Cardiff visit, 2005, soo different to Blunsdon. The racing was no different just the atmosphere. I took a young relative to a GP but they lost interest at Swindon.

I'm sure the crowds will be back next year, August not the best time to hold it, several adverse factors.

The Championship Pairs at Oxford the previous night had poor track, poor racing.

The long drive and heat was worth it, to see a Bewley the Brit win, fantastic. Great performance from ex-Swindon skipper Doyley, 3 crashes yet reaches semis.Ard as nails Jason.

Edited by auntie doris

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Exactly what I said. They attacked the track, and it paid off. If you're going to act like you're scared of the track, stay home...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Exactly what I said. They attacked the track, and it paid off. If you're going to act like you're scared of the track, stay home...

Watching a lot of "old stuff" on YT it is noticeable how the riders would often "free wheel" into the turns and then put the power on when into the bend and bring the back wheel around..

Similar to the way grasstrack racers do...

I presume it was down to the deep cinders...?

Lots of races were won by riders passing others who were "hopping" around after hitting a deep part of the track....

And they used throttle control to control the bikes reaction...

It also meant plenty of entertainment for those watching...

Some of the races on Saturday had riders showing this "old school" style, but the likes of Bewley and Zmarzlik kept full on the gas and definitely got advantage for it...

Those brought up on GB tracks like Bewley, Doyle and Holder certainly seemed better equipped to deal with the problems (even though Doyle kept falling off:D)...

Which probably says something about GB track preparation...;)

Zmarzlik is obviously just a once in a generation world class rider who is fearless and can ride anything. ..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Watching a lot of "old stuff" on YT it is noticeable how the riders would often "free wheel" into the turns and then put the power on when into the bend and bring the back wall round..

Thank you so much! That is the one thing I find really obvious from old vids, and didn't know if anyone else had noticed?

It almost looks amateurish to me, and is a far cry from the style we see today. And the worst one for that coasting? Mauger!

That is one of the main reasons for me why modern speedway is more exciting; riders power INTO the bends...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

Thank you so much! That is the one thing I find really obvious from old vids, and didn't know if anyone else had noticed?

It almost looks amateurish to me, and is a far cry from the style we see today. And the worst one for that coasting? Mauger!

That is one of the main reasons for me why modern speedway is more exciting; riders power INTO the bends...

It is also the reason they need wider entrances and exits to bends nowadays too, as the bikes are pretty much "virtually sideways" before they are even "in the bend" at some tracks...

Meaning less room to go under or around for those behind at lots of circuits..

The NSS being almost the "perfect template" to follow as going in to bends "sideways" there will not only scrub off speed but also, given how much space exists, provide plenty of room to pass for those not bringing the back wheel round so quickly, and letting the bike "run" instead....