British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Oxford vs Plymouth 27/07/22

48 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

What was the reason for Barker then?

Heard from Poole fans tonight that he arrived at stadium and fell out of his van drunk :drink:

2 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Heard from Poole fans tonight that he arrived at stadium and fell out of his van drunk :drink:

Why would Poole fans be at Oxford ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was announced he was medicaly unfit to ride & just before the start he left in his van going out the gate at the 4th turn. He looked sick in the passenger seat holding his head. I understand Paul Starkes Father was also ill during the meeting so maybe there's an illness going around.

3 minutes ago, Technik said:

It was announced he was medicaly unfit to ride & just before the start he left in his van going out the gate at the 4th turn. He looked sick in the passenger seat holding his head. I understand Paul Starkes Father was also ill during the meeting so maybe there's an illness going around.

Maybe a virus?    Heard there was a bug about called Covid....

11 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Why would Poole fans be at Oxford ??

Talking to them at bham tonight and they were in the know seemingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfie456 said:

Talking to them at bham tonight and they were in the know seemingly.

Some of them profess to know everything

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Random tests at Oxford tonight one failed. It was announced “withdrawn by officials as unfit” not due to illness or injury.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With what happened tonight it is about time that teams were only allowed to use rider replacement if they have declared a number eight and the number eight is present and ready to race. Riders being taken ill or being hurt racing cannot be helped but there should always be seven riders ready to race at the start of a meeting for both sides.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Wouldn't be happy travelling from Swindon, Reading, Coventry etc., either, plus the few up from Devon.

As it happens I missed this (SoN duty - someone's gotta do it), but I'd happily pay for 7 heats featuring Josh Pickering.

PS If only Barker had aggravated an injury unloading his bike :o :nono:

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gating tart said:

Barker 100% failed a drugs test looking at a 2 year ban !

Not wishing to make assumptions or pre-empt any misdemeamour but I remember Ben Barker riding for the "Cheatahs" junior team when he first started out and he showed so much potential. I've read stories about him since and not all of it good and does him no credit.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

With what happened tonight it is about time that teams were only allowed to use rider replacement if they have declared a number eight and the number eight is present and ready to race. Riders being taken ill or being hurt racing cannot be helped but there should always be seven riders ready to race at the start of a meeting for both sides.

...which, of course, always used to be the case. Recall Wimbledon on one occasion at Cowley being denied the facility as they hadn't got a number eight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The major problem being the difference between number 8's and number 8's. What i mean is to tick a box a number 8 can be a local second halfer who will offer zero point scoring threat unless fallers/mechanicals occur (and could be a danger on track if not up to a decent level) vs meaningful number 8's who will want the RR rides and certainly want some financial compensations to stand there on a free evening.