British Speedway Forum
baiden

Ben Barker positive drug test

Why drag it out? 

On Thursday 8th September 2022 the Speedway Control Bureau held a SCB Court hearing for Mr Ben Barker.

Having heard evidence regards the positive result for a banned substance at Oxford Speedway on Wednesday 27th July 2022, Mr Barker SCB Registration will remain suspended until the 1st March 2023.

Mr Barker has also been ordered to pay towards the cost of the Court Hearing

Edited by Bald Bloke

Just now, Bald Bloke said:

Why drag it out? 

Who's dragging what out? Ben can't ride till March, then he gets his licence back. End of.

• Like 2

Just now, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Ok i'll say it.... So what was the banned substance? :blink:

Given the severity of the ban (or not, actually) I guess the story about too many or the wrong type of pain killers was accepted. Only a guess mind, but seems to fit the facts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Who's dragging what out? Ben can't ride till March, then he gets his licence back. End of.

I took it as maybe to allow for an appeal or something.. So are you saying Ben has a been banned for 6 months ?

Just now, Bald Bloke said:

I took it as maybe to allow for an appeal or something.. So are you saying Ben has a been banned for 6 months ?

Yep.

In official speak, a licence is suspended because at the end of the specified period, it is reinstated.

However, there may also be an appeals process which Ben may or may not take advantage of. But given that if successful he would probably only get his licence back for the close season, it hardly seems likely. He may wish to clear his name, but there would probably be extra costs involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

4 months during Winter - Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb - Jeez.

The way I read it he’s banned until spring2023 and then he has the chance to apply for a race licence for 2023 but don’t think it’s guaranteed he will get it back immediately 

55 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

The way I read it he’s banned until spring2023 and then he has the chance to apply for a race licence for 2023 but don’t think it’s guaranteed he will get it back immediately 

I think it's roughly what Ward got banned for wasn't it when he'd had one too many drinks? He missed a few months. So either BB has been drunk or his excuse of having too many painkillers was true... either way he's been a silly boy.

Suspended from riding during the months where no riding takes place anyway. Wow, that's a great "punishment", isn't it?

It's about as meaningful as being banned from riding every day between 11pm and 7am. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, bloom89 said:

I think it's roughly what Ward got banned for wasn't it when he'd had one too many drinks? He missed a few months. So either BB has been drunk or his excuse of having too many painkillers was true... either way he's been a silly boy.

As far as I remember Ward was banned for a full year from August to August (ish)

They really need to make the full findings public. That answers the questions with facts.

They probably won't and that does the Sport no good.

Plenty of issues in the past that have either been swept under the carpet and in to the long grass, or penalties reported but no full explanation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HGould said:

They really need to make the full findings public. That answers the questions with facts.

They probably won't and that does the Sport no good.

Plenty of issues in the past that have either been swept under the carpet and in to the long grass, or penalties reported but no full explanation.

There should be mandatory disclosure in situations such as this

• Like 3

22 hours ago, False dawn said:

Given the severity of the ban (or not, actually) I guess the story about too many or the wrong type of pain killers was accepted. Only a guess mind, but seems to fit the facts.

Don't forget that he's effectively been banned from racing for the last three months of this season.