British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP Saturday August 27th

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Thanks Iain. I was wrong (again) which is becoming a habit on here for me. It wasn't GBSpeedway, however.

It took GBSpeedway 10 days to report Dan's Cardiff victory. 

However, The Official British Speedway Twitter feed, as detailed above, has coverage.
I'm going to stop posting. 

I meant gb speedway team.

8 hours ago, Neila said:

Watched the GP in a Workington working man's club, about 15 blokes having a good nite out, come the final we made that much noise another 10 people came into the room to see what was going on !! Imo Dan bewley a future world champion 

Station road rocking???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LesR said:

Great result by Dan Bewley and Rob Lambert with two Brits in the top three of the GP.

Not such a good result from the British Speedway site, who couldn't even be bothered to put the result on the site last night, let alone a short report. It shows how disinterested the BSPL are in the World Championship and British Riders riding in it.

I bet Eurosport and Discovery are really pleased with the BSPL attitude to spreading the word in their quest to take speedway wider horizons.

Good luck to all the Brits racing in Poland, you are on your own, until of course it suits BSPL!!

I understand the guy now running the BSPL press office didn't even bother to go to the Cardiff GP.

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Bewley did it again, this time he kicked the Poles backsides in their own backyard.  Look out Smarzlik, Dan Bewley is coming to get you !...

That's not really the case is it. Wroclaw is home from home for Bewley :lol:

That's probably why I respect Lambert's 3rd a higher achievement to be honest. 

Saying that, it really is nice seeing a changing of the guard in front of our eyes, watching the youngsters pushing Woffinden behind them & giving themselves a good showing against the world's best. 

Unfortunately, I just don't see any true English quality following these 2 to challenge in the next 5/10yrs.

We as English, must saver these 2 while they're here 

england-england-flag.gif

Dantastic win, and great racing!

• Like 1

Outstanding from Bewley again, possibly more impressive than his Cardiff win considering he wasn't at his best mid-meeting and it was on a track where half the riders hadn't given up. 

Excellent result for Lambert too. I think he gets some of the criticism because Bewley is progressing quicker, without Dan there people would be pretty happy with how he's doing. He's maybe taking a slower step towards the top but that's fine. He's still young, still making progress and with a little more consistency there's no reason why both of them can't regularly be on the podium.

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 1

1st Bewlay 20

2 nd Madsen 18

3rd Lambert 16

4th Janowski 14

5. Zmarzlik 12

6 Dudek 11

7 Woffinden 10

8 michelsen 9

9 Lindgren 8

10 Chugunov 7

11 Holder 6

12 Vaculik 5

13 Doyle 4

14 Przedpelski 3

15 Fricke 2

16 Lebedevs 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Station road rocking???

You bet it was Geoff, people were coming through from main room to see what was going on :D

9 hours ago, Neila said:

Watched the GP in a Workington working man's club, about 15 blokes having a good nite out, come the final we made that much noise another 10 people came into the room to see what was going on !! Imo Dan bewley a future world champion 

Watched it after getting in from something we’d booked a while back, fantastic Dan and would have been great watching it in the club, the atmosphere.

3 hours ago, iainb said:

To be fair they did post it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SpeedwayGB/status/1563632925299527680

I fail to see how it was a fabulous night for British Speedway though, it was a fabulous night for British Riders.

... and have you seen the results from the European pairs championships last night? Literally, have you seen them, can't find them anywhere. 

Iain, that's ok putting it on twitter but not everyone wants to join there, that's why I thought that the offical website would have it. At least they have a report on SpeedwayGB now and those not going on twitter may have liked the scores as well, maybe they are waiting to post the GP score when they do the Euro pairs scores...

• Like 1

So Dan does it again, absolutely superb performance, I couldn't be more chuffed for him especially with the constant progress that he's made since his horrific injuries. For a while now I've been thinking that there could be something special about him and Robert as well, and want them both to have equally good careers. 

Working on the assumption that the data next to their names at the starting gate is their actual heart rate, it was noticeable last night in the Final that Dan's rate was much lower than the others.  Super cool.

Two brilliant meetings, though very different,  from Wroclaw over the last two nights. Super entertainment. More of the double act again guys please. Not forgetting some brilliant rides from Tai as well.

Good performances from all the British lads, well done to Dan and Robert for getting on the podium.

Tom Brennan probably the next in line to make it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chunky said:

What can you say? Absolutely incredible! And he seems such a nice kid...

You'd better get to the drug store Chunky and  get those longevity pills so that you last through next season and witness the new World Champion 2023 or maybe you can stretch it out till 2024 just in case he doesn't quite make it next year, good luck  ;)

15 hours ago, chunky said:

Hey, anyone else had this thought yet? Bewley could be a contender for Sports Personality of the Year? What's more, he actually has a personality!

I don’t think so. The shortlist has been reduced to six in recent years, which I’d say provides a challenge to minority sports.

I would also suggest at least one person on the shortlist will (rightly) be a woman (although they are sadly still often overlooked for this award - it’s still dominated by men’s sport unless something exceptional happens), and I’d be surprised if there isn’t someone from para sport. Assuming they are taken by different people (and given the women’s football team are almost certain to be represented there, I think it’s a reasonable assumption), that suggests only four spots left.

Jonathan Rea only made the shortlist once during his spell of domination on World Superbikes. Jamie Chadwick has dominated W Series this year, and I think she’d be more likely to make the shortlist than Dan Bewley on account of this being her third year winning the title. If Dan wins the last three rounds and takes the title, different story, but that’s a tall order.

Short of it is, I think you either need to be the current champion in your sport, or a very average England men’s footballer (I’m not going to try to justify Raheem Sterling making the list in previous years) to make the shortlist.

I’d like to see the BBC return to a shortlist of ten and give minority sports a bigger profile, but no idea if that will happen. Maybe we just need to get Phil Lanning on the shortlisting panel…

• Like 1