British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dornier

Eric Boothroyd

Halifax Dukes Captain Eric Boothroyd has passed away in hospital after a heart attack. Ninety five years old

a great rider and team captain for the Dukes. R.I.P Eric

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

Sad news - a little before my time but any fan with an eye on the history of the sport will recognise him as a main stay of the 'old guard'

RIP

• Like 4

Sad news,was a great Team man and rider in his day.Lucky enough to have seen him ride in the 60’s.

RIP. Eric.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Sad news,was a great Team man and rider in his day.Lucky enough to have seen him ride in the 60’s.

RIP. Eric.

If the team needed him to win his last ride he would do.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, Dornier said:

Halifax Dukes Captain Eric Boothroyd has passed away in hospital after a heart attack. Ninety five years old

a great rider and team captain for the Dukes. R.I.P Eric

also promotor .

Sad news indeed.  A personal favourite from his 1960s Middlesbro' Bears days, along with Eric Boocock, Clive Hitch, Johnny Fitzpatrick, Brian McEown and Kevin Torpie at Old Meadowbank, Edinburgh.  Great rider and a bit of an entertainer too - can recall him once doing handstands and walking on his hands on the Centre Green encouraged by Ian Hoskins.  Many a great tussle with Dougie Templeton and others.  Great memories of Eric Boothroyd.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Halifordukesfan said:

Not important enough for BSPA site, disgraceful.

Pretty sure he became their official track inspector too when the position was created....

RIP...

• Like 1

I can’t add to what others have said . He was an absolute credit to himself and the sport.

His interviews and thoughts on the Halifax and Kenny Carter dvds tell you quite alot about Eric as a person.I personally never went to Halifax much more than five times but what a day out loved the track and the people.Loved the clubhouse  where you could have a quiet pint and a chat and the Shay what a sight a great track and a real test for a rider.Eric/ Bonnie Boothroyd and his track staff  made Halifax a great track to visit I only wish i could of visited it more.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 4