British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

Panthers v Stars 25/08/22

28 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I don’t know what it’s like in Panther land, but it’s been raining in Lynn since 6am when it woke me up:unsure:

I'm seeing posts on FB from fans in Panther land that its been raining all morning, they seem to be expecting it to be called off 

38 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I don’t know what it’s like in Panther land, but it’s been raining in Lynn since 6am when it woke me up:unsure:

Woke me up also.

2 minutes from the track and we had reasonably heavy rain around 7ish til11am and then steady light rain since 

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

50mm here in West Raynham since 5am ish.

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

5 minutes up the road and it’s now chucking it down again, won’t be on, just can’t see it 

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

But rainfall radar is a picture of actual rain and not a forecast. Use the animation button to get a sense of how the bands of rain are behaving and you have the best date you could possibly have. 

If I was restricted to one source, it is the one I would use.

I look at these “rain radars” too. Those I looked at this morning for Ipswich, had not just green blobs, but orange and reds for torrential downpours, floods and lightening/thunder. We’ve had a shower a few hours back and that’s it. 

• Like 2

Bearing in mind how keen they are to call things off normally, strange they have not called this off yet when there is a good reason.  Team news makes meeting even more unattractive

R/R for MPT and Simon Lambert for Ulle... and Sheffield is off, this is allegedly still on!

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I always go by the rain fall radar, it shows what is actually happening and shows which way the weather is actually tracking rather than a forecast, especially for short term weather... different strokes for different folks though

I always try to find a live webcam close by.Been no rain since about 1pm 3 miles north of the EOES.There are some puddles but much has dried up quite well.As long as there is no further rain in the area i would expect it to be on.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I always try to find a live webcam close by.Been no rain since about 1pm 3 miles north of the EOES.There are some puddles but much has dried up quite well.As long as there is no further rain in the area i would expect it to be on.

This is the problem when a club has a track record of calling matches off on weather forecasts... Fans don't know where they are when there has actually been some substantial rain. Couple that with the riders attitude when the track is slightly wetter than usual and it throws a lot of doubt over the suitability of running the match. 

I'm planning on travelling over from Leicester for this... have serious doubts though, especially after watching the goings on at KL and Plymouth this week. 

Edited by iainb

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

This is the problem when a club has a track record of calling matches off on weather forecasts... Fans don't know where they are when there has actually been some substantial rain. Couple that with the riders attitude when the track is slightly wetter than usual and it throws a lot of doubt over the suitability of running the match. 

I'm planning on travelling over from Leicester for this... have serious doubts though, especially after watching the goings on at KL and Plymouth this week. 

Track record? Can't recall too many apart from one that was justified, even if you didn't agree. I agree that it doesn't take much for riders to have a wobbly these days and a big heavy track is a concern (don't want to pay gate money to watch 20 people looking at the track whilst being thanked for my patience). It's not like there has been days of rain & this mornings wet stuff shouldn't have done much damage. If it wasn't called off at lunchtime latest then it wasn't going to be called off. Just gone a bit cold & dark so fingers crossed!

15 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Track record? Can't recall too many apart from one that was justified, even if you didn't agree. I agree that it doesn't take much for riders to have a wobbly these days and a big heavy track is a concern (don't want to pay gate money to watch 20 people looking at the track whilst being thanked for my patience). It's not like there has been days of rain & this mornings wet stuff shouldn't have done much damage. If it wasn't called off at lunchtime latest then it wasn't going to be called off. Just gone a bit cold & dark so fingers crossed!

This is why the sport as a whole needs a call off policy... no call offs prior to 10 am on the day of the match, if you don't call it off at 10am you then can't call it off before 6pm... or something like that

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

This is why the sport as a whole needs a call off policy... no call offs prior to 10 am on the day of the match, if you don't call it off at 10am you then can't call it off before 6pm... or something like that

That proposal bears no relevance to the economics of modern speedway.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

That proposal bears no relevance to the economics of modern speedway.

Nothing to do with economics... the club have 2 opportunities to call the match off, if it's not called of by 6 they are committed to run. Look at the effort Poole put in last week to get the Redcar match on, Danny Ford said on the podcast that if it had been a "normal" match (ie. they hadn't put so much effort into promoting it with the Council being present) then they would have probably just called it off... and that says a lot about the current day promoter!

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Exactly as predicted on the forecast. 

• Like 1