British Speedway Forum
Vicar

Attendances

Wonder what the total number of speedway fans in the Uk is nowadays .? Assuming only a minority support more than on track, it might be 15,000? Amazes me the support for the SGP …. Guess most are travelling fans from overseas?

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Wonder what the total number of speedway fans in the Uk is nowadays .? Assuming only a minority support more than on track, it might be 15,000? Amazes me the support for the SGP …. Guess most are travelling fans from overseas?

I would think around 30,000 or so in total still follow the sport given Cardiff usually gets around 40,000 with some who attend the event as partners of followers as "a one off" and overseas visitors..

I would say more than double who attend each week still follow the sport closely, and if the promoters had vision then they would create the infrastructure to get them back attending regularly again..

Much easier to get them to return than get newbies to become regulars I would suggest ..

• Like 2

for me its ££, and the reason i don't attend league football (although they don't seem to be missing me)

at the risk of starting a whole new row - £12/14 max and find a way of making it viable through reduction of expenses - not easy i know. I don't care if they go round in rattly old JAPS. Its the market level and you can not sell something above the market value. Pubs are finding this out now - £5 a pint versus 4 excellent bottles for £6 at Tesco, people are staying in. Even cinemas are having to drop prices. Hard to coax people out and I'm one of them

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

I would think around 30,000 or so in total still follow the sport given Cardiff usually gets around 40,000 with some who attend the event as partners of followers as "a one off" and overseas visitors..

I would say more than double who attend each week still follow the sport closely, and if the promoters had vision then they would create the infrastructure to get them back attending regularly again..

Much easier to get them to return than get newbies to become regulars I would suggest ..

I was a regular at Lakeside from 2001 (aged 7) to 2018, but with my nearest team now being 50+ miles away, the only meetings I see live are Grand Prix. Would absolutely love a local track to pop up again, I'd be down there every race night, but sadly I think that's fanciful.

A real shame, I'm sure thousands of Londoners are in the same boat.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, old bob at herne bay said:

Not that many fans from overseas, and very few from Britain at Cardiff this year.:neutral: For me British League speedway is overpriced..

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Not that many fans from overseas, and very few from Britain at Cardiff this year.:neutral: For me British League speedway is overpriced..

I have to say that moving away from Oxford some 17 plus years ago I haven't been to a speedway since as the nearest, I guess, would be Sheffield (?). I would expect more than just 15 heats (?) for my money and when i would have to take into account petrol costs (especially nowadays) it just doesn't add up for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, therefused said:

whats the average price for a meeting in Poland/Sweden/Denmark?

I think all clubs in Sweden you get in for 16-20 pounds. Don't know for everyone else but at my local track i Målilla it's free for everone under 18.

Edited by Lorenzo558

Surprised by the claims that the Speedway Star used to publish attendance figures. I have taken the Star from 1953 and don't ever remember seeing these printed in in. What I do remember though, is Tony Mole printing attendance figures for every Long Eaton home matches in the club's programme - and from what I understand, he was roundly criticised by his fellow promoters for doing this!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Surprised by the claims that the Speedway Star used to publish attendance figures. I have taken the Star from 1953 and don't ever remember seeing these printed in in. What I do remember though, is Tony Mole printing attendance figures for every Long Eaton home matches in the club's programme - and from what I understand, he was roundly criticised by his fellow promoters for doing this!

I'm sure they were for a while but memories and all that? I wonder if it was the Speedway Mail? I remember seeing them somewhere.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, mikebv said:

I'm not so sure. I find those that have stopped coming to the live events will still watch on TV but when it comes to going to a stadium they will have a string of reasons not to go price, distance, VFM or the standard being lower. It's easier to take someone who has never been & hope they get excited enough to come again.

But these days British speedway is not helping it self with late starts, prolonged grading, only 15 races often taking nearly 2 & a half hours at a cost of nearly £20 per person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I'm sure they were for a while but memories and all that? I wonder if it was the Speedway Mail? I remember seeing them somewhere.

Don't think they were ever in the Mail. Sometimes the match reports in the Star gave an estimated attendance, but never an official figure.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, brianbuck said:

I'm pretty sure that Steve Purchase published attendance figures at Oxford

Edited by Triple.H.

5 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

I'm pretty sure that Steve Purchase published attendance figures at Oxford

That would make sense as the Purchases were "people friendly" and I recal Steve casually walking the terraces chatting to people.