British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Period of mourning. No sport activities.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

My lads non league team have arranged a friendly for today...

100% the right thing to do...

We go to work daily, and some sports have carried on, so why prevent people enjoying themselves? 

Her family mourning and doing what they want I absolutely get, (just like any other family who have lost someone), but it seems daft to prevent those who had no contact or relationship with her from doing what they want to do..

Cinemas remain open, pubs remain open, restaurants remain open, gyms remain open, seaside resorts remain open, so why are (some) sports not taking place? 

Barmy to be honest..

Being a keen follower of horse racing herself, I am sure she wouldn't have given a monkey's if everything just carried on as normal..

Which 99% of things have...

Following the official FA guidance even friendlies are not permitted between 9-11 September. I run a Sunday morning Mens team and our County FA have stated fines and bans for anyone breaking the rules , including referees 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kopite92 said:

Definitely Newport. I think we had a meeting every year from 1999-2008 under Tim, and then 2010-12  in the Mallett reign. Frostbite was pretty much guaranteed every year.

You've not been cold till you've been to Boundary Park, Oldham, its bad enough at the beginning and end of the season, must be like the north pole in the winter months

55 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I think there will always be a debate about what should happen and what should not and there will always be split opinions, all we can do is follow what is put before us and accept it for what it is, we have lost a great lady who had time for everyone, a lady who never seemed fazed by anything, she will be our last queen for possibly centuries, the next female in line to the throne is williams daughter, but bear in mind if William were to have another child and its a boy she goes further down the line, then you have prince George who will no doubt have children, again if they are boy's we are looking at centuries if that trend continued, strange isn't it that we have witnessed what possibly could be the last ever queen of Great Britain 

I think you will find succession now goes on age not gender. I.e. George, then Charlotte, then Louis. That will not change however many sons William may have in future.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I think you will find succession now goes on age not gender. I.e. George, then Charlotte, then Louis. That will not change however many sons William may have in future.

I agree.

53 minutes ago, GraysRocket said:

Following the official FA guidance even friendlies are not permitted between 9-11 September. I run a Sunday morning Mens team and our County FA have stated fines and bans for anyone breaking the rules , including referees 

Just like a "jumpers down for goalposts" kick around...

On a hired 4G pitch...

Coaches and physios doing the lines and reffing..

Just 32 footballers all (spookily) in the same place at the same time...

What are the chances of that?:D

• Like 2

The  Queen  Dying and having lost a number of relatives recently it feels to me in more ways than one  like the end of an era.  Cancelling all these events to me is not paying respect  but making a difficult situation  worse than it need be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

George's children if he has any will push Charlotte and Louis down the list, at the moment the line of succession is William, George, Charlotte, Louis, then Harry, however George's kids will push all of them down a place when or if they are born. It's the way its always been, at some point George will be king if he lives long enough, the others all drop places in the event of any kids to George 

Edited by Gerbat1875

A local fair/show due to run on the 16th/17th September has been cancelled due to the Queen passing, it was due to be the first one since 2019 after the COVID outbreak.

"In 1267 King Henry III granted a Royal Charter to Thomas de Multon (1247-1294), Lord of the Barony of Egremont, for a weekly market on Wednesdays and an annual fair to be held on the 7th, 8th and 9th of September. A modern translation of the original Charter is as follows"

3 hours ago, GraysRocket said:

Sounds like a fascist state to me. In the meantime you'd better not water the pitches with hosepipes either or you'll probably get locked away for life :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Complete nonsense to cancel events except for yesterday and the funeral day. Why cancel the last night of the Proms? Stage it as a tribute, cancelling is costing the BBC (i.e. license payers) a bomb. The World's a very different place now, why are customs employed in an age gone by, being applied now? What are people going to do - draw the curtains and sit at home in the dark for two weeks?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Complete nonsense to cancel events except for yesterday and the funeral day. Why cancel the last night of the Proms? Stage it as a tribute, cancelling is costing the BBC (i.e. license payers) a bomb. The World's a very different place now, why are customs employed in an age gone by, being applied now? What are people going to do - draw the curtains and sit at home in the dark for two weeks?

Yes - only because they can't afford to pay the electric bill.....

6 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Could maybe get some disposable bbqs to warm the place up,,, ye can probably get them cheap now? ;)

But be careful using them indoors! 

Let's cancel all the remaining fixtures this season and go into a 2 year lockdown, wear Queen masks and get 'vaccinated' with gin.

It's what the Queen would have wanted. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Dressed in black and wailing & weeping at the bill

On 9/9/2022 at 6:07 PM, Gerbat1875 said:

Sports should be stopped in a period of mourning its out of respect for the Queen that this is happening, we all know that in Scotland the Queen dying to a certain teams supporters would be a chance to sing hatred about our beloved monarch QE the 2nd, I have heard stories about in the rep of ireland they were cheering when the announcement of the death of the Queen came about, it sickens me that in today's society people still spout hatred, our Queen dedicated all but 26 years of her life to the role she was destined to have, to me it's a great loss not only to the UK but the whole commonwealth and the whole world to lose the greatest monarch to have ever lived, no doubt the anti royals and hatred speaking idiots will take great pleasure in taking the day off work for the queen's funeral, talk about two faced, if you hate the royal family and are happy to spread hatred then tell your bosses that you will work on the day of the funeral.Sport is secondary in this time of mourning. 

My dad passed away on a Thursday in 2015, I went to Edinburgh Speedway on the Friday as a tribute to him. He was a massive Speedway fan & I know he'd far rather I went to the match than stay at home.

Obviously I was mourning at the time, but that didn't mean I couldn't celebrate his life & what he loved to do at the same time.

So I don't understand why Speedway couldn't show respect by having a minutes silence & then celebrating her life instead of cancelling?

Anyone who disagreed with running the fixtures didn't have to go to them!

• Like 7