British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Play offs Dates

On 9/13/2022 at 10:16 AM, Racin Jason 72 said:

It needs someone like Phil Morris to sort it out. 

He can't even ensure the GPs are run on decent tracks over the world of speedway, he can't have any influence!

14 hours ago, RobHowe said:

I don't know about any other team but Sheffield's league campaign started in May.

However I think the TV coverage and their requirements may well dictate when the league starts and, especially, when it finishes.

Given that in reality every club currently has circa 13-14 home meetings, not counting Playoffs, to schedule over a 20-25 week season, had they run everything on a week by week basis the season could have been done and dusted by the end of July. Had that happened I'm pretty sure the usual suspects on here would have been complaining about not spreading the meetings out over the whole season.

I completely get the frustration though, however we are where we are and complaining after the fact doesn't help.

But you don't need a crystal ball to see where we ALWAYS end up...

ie cramming in meetings to complete a season...

It will be the same next year, the same the year after that,  and the year after that etc etc...

Split the season into four sectors from April to November...

1. The "Cup" thingy. - 3 Home meetings per team and a another one for the two finalists.  All done by the end of April...

2. The Premiership. - May to the first week of September. Meaning you run the play offs in the better weather and you take the most advantage of the kids being off school. 

3. The Pairs - 2nd Week of September to October. Done in three weeks to keep fans interested.

4. All the rest - October. The League Riders Championships, The National Individual Finals, Any Testimonials, Any Individual Comps. 

That way you would keep interest in the Comps and also get some momentum fan wise through the year. 

Currently with all comps ending at the same time any succesful tracks cannot build on that success as their season often ends on the night of that success....

It also can mean fans forking out for five or six meetings within a one month salary window (regardless of following a succesful team), on colder evenings where they closely most monitor the weather forecasts, and even "light drizzle" will then keep them away...

Sheffield are doing a "three match special" for £50 which highlights they recognise the issue so fair play to them...

But not needed really if they all had a structure to their season...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Agree, if your club does not make the play offs then you don't want the season to end too soon so your proposal here deals with that. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:39 AM, RobHowe said:

Sheffield’s “inactivity” on Thursdays through the summer:

9th June - home v Wolves

16th June - Pairs at Ipswich 

23rd June - away v Kings Lynn 

30th June - no meeting 

7th July - Pairs at Kings Lynn

14th July - home v Peterborough 

21st July - away v Ipswich 

28th July - SoN

4th Aug - home v Wolves - called off due to work on the dog track

11th Aug - no meeting

18th Aug - home Pairs - rained off

25th Aug - home v Belle Vue - rained off

1st Sept - home v Wolves 

8th Sept - away v Kings Lynn 

15th Sept - home v Kings Lynn

So there were two Thursdays when it might have been possible to run a meeting if an opposing team was available.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you’re sat behind the anonymity of a keyboard and a made up Username, but the reality is without the unfortunate and unforeseen issues with the stadium and some terrible bad luck with weather we wouldn’t be in the position we are in.

But you knew that before you posted.

I stand by my assertion that there is some major malfunction in the way speedway is being run. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, Sheffield's home calendar for 1967 shows a grand total of 31 Thursday race-nights, all with packed houses of paying customers. Perhaps those were the days when we had people running the sport who knew what they were doing, but If the league management fail to organise the weekly arrangements for what is barely a dozen meetings per team throughout the season, there is something amiss. Even your friend Peter Mole wrote in tonight's programme notes that the last home fixture "was almost like an away fixture for our lads, we've had so few meetings at Owlerton recently."

Says it all, really.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, Rob B said:

Each team home leg been confirmed:

SEP 26 - WOLVES v TBC

SEP 29 - IPSWICH v TBC

OCT 3 - BELLE VUE v TBC

OCT 6 - SHEFFIELD v TBC

With Sheffield meeting being postponed on Monday, will they have to do double header next Thursday 22nd now?

Eurosport scheduled to show all 4 Sf’s live

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

SEP 26 - WOLVES v SHEFFIELD

SEP 29 - IPSWICH v BELLE VUE

OCT 3 - BELLE VUE v IPSWICH

OCT 6 - SHEFFIELD v WOLVES

12 hours ago, Rob B said:

SEP 26 - WOLVES v SHEFFIELD

SEP 29 - IPSWICH v BELLE VUE

OCT 3 - BELLE VUE v IPSWICH

OCT 6 - SHEFFIELD v WOLVES

Pure coincidence of course that both semi's are Monday v Thursday tracks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Hasn't that "spookily" happened before?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beowulf said:

The semi-final line-up is based on the final league table: 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eric i said:

We don’t know what that the final league table is yet though.. but I know what you mean.

2 hours ago, eric i said:

Would have been interesting if Sheffield had been rained off last night as these ties were already decided :)

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

We don’t know what that the final league table is yet though.. but I know what you mean.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Would have been interesting if Sheffield had been rained off last night as these ties were already decided :)

The "in the best interests" regulation would've been invoked and a pools panel style prediction used to complete as desired

22 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Next stage in the planned demise of UK league speedway is surely home meetings every other week. 

Think that's more regular than it has been 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, Beowulf said:

Not really, the dates & tracks for the four matches were already decided! The final finishing order only decided who went where when!