British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Play offs Dates

Each team home leg been confirmed:

SEP 26 - WOLVES v TBC

SEP 29 - IPSWICH v TBC

OCT 3 - BELLE VUE v TBC

OCT 6 - SHEFFIELD v TBC

With Sheffield meeting being postponed on Monday, will they have to do double header next Thursday 22nd now?

7 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Each team home leg been confirmed:

SEP 26 - WOLVES v TBC

SEP 29 - IPSWICH v TBC

OCT 3 - BELLE VUE v TBC

OCT 6 - SHEFFIELD v TBC

With Sheffield meeting being postponed on Monday, will they have to do double header next Thursday 22nd now?

With the cut-off date having been set as the conclusion of fixtures on Thursday September 22 and the meeting with Ipswich next Monday having been cancelled, I'm guessing that the match with Ipswich won't now take place at all. The ridiculous prospect of having to organise a last-minute 'double header' (or determine final league positions on the toss of a coin!) just adds further hilarity to the laughing stock that is premiership speedway.

Between April and September there have been 26 Thursdays and 26 Mondays, yet the league management and Owlerton hierarchy have conspired to make a cock-up of fitting in ten home league matches. Considering the vast length of week-after-week inactivity that have dogged us throughout the summer, it is yet another shameful spectacle that we should encounter such a backlog of fixtures at this late stage. But the season's not over yet.... as well as the Ipswich fixture, we have home matches with Kings Lynn and Belle Vue also to fit in, and just nine days to do it! What's the weather forecast for this Autumn period?

• Like 8

Kings Lynn are not much better, and results could affect final position - home against Wolves on 22nd which will be ok if weather plays ball, but also have home against Belle Vue which was Monday 19th. The way I see it KIngs Lynn and Sheffield both need double headers on 22nd, both including Belle Vue - I'm sure BV could send half a team to each match and fill other half of each team with guests (using guests from Wolves/Ipswich as appropriate) - all in the best interests of the sport of course...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, kelvinht said:

Kings Lynn are not much better, and results could affect final position - home against Wolves on 22nd which will be ok if weather plays ball, but also have home against Belle Vue which was Monday 19th. The way I see it KIngs Lynn and Sheffield both need double headers on 22nd, both including Belle Vue - I'm sure BV could send half a team to each match and fill other half of each team with guests (using guests from Wolves/Ipswich as appropriate) - all in the best interests of the sport of course...

Best interest of the sport is not call a meeting off on a Sunday because the weather talked of showers on the Monday and no rain fell that day - points should be awarded to BV 

• Like 1

I presume that, in the interests of Speedway, October will be extended?:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Not being able to squeeze in 10 home league fixtures in the best part of six months is truly shocking although it is not that surprising given the way Speedway is run these days!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

Not being able to squeeze in 10 home league fixtures in the best part of six months is truly shocking although it is not that surprising given the way Speedway is run these days!

Totally agree -and in the driest summer in years as well - the worrying bit as we are now in autumn and it seems to rain almost every day the weather is definitely going to play a big part .

• Like 1

The kids summer holidays should almost be a festival of speedway, as many meetings should be crammed in as possible. As others have said having outstanding fixtures in the middle of September in a six team league is unforgivable.

I don't know who but somebody needs to grab British speedway by the scruff of the neck and run it properly, it's a shambles.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The kids summer holidays should almost be a festival of speedway, as many meetings should be crammed in as possible. As others have said havingboutstanding fixtures in the middle of September in a six team league is unforgivable.

I don't know who but somebody needs to grab British speedway by the scruff of the neck and run it properly, it's a shambles.

It’s as if the powers that be want to run speedway into the ground - they couldn’t make a worse job of running it if they tried - kids summer holidays as you say should be a speedway festival- 10 home meetings in 6 months a 6 team league unbelievable they struggle to fit in fixtures- also the league cup final (remember that competition) KL v Sheffield in the final should have been staged months ago all the importance has long since passed - will it even be staged?

• Like 1

Must admit I slowly seem to be losing interest. Been to Belle Vue twice, Sheffield and Ipswich once which is massively down on my normal away fixtures. Missed a few home meetings as well. Of the 8 GPS I think I've enjoyed 2. Bought the BSN package but skipped a few of late. Even thinking of packing in the star

I made a point at the start of the season saying meetings will be taking place in October as usual but was countered by another poster saying there is only 6 teams in the League and matches will easily be completed before October .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haza said:

also the league cup final (remember that competition) KL v Sheffield in the final should have been staged months ago all the importance has long since passed - will it even be staged?

Possibly could be run on the two semi play off dates Sheffield are not involved?

2 hours ago, Haza said:

It’s as if the powers that be want to run speedway into the ground - they couldn’t make a worse job of running it if they tried - kids summer holidays as you say should be a speedway festival- 10 home meetings in 6 months a 6 team league unbelievable they struggle to fit in fixtures- also the league cup final (remember that competition) KL v Sheffield in the final should have been staged months ago all the importance has long since passed - will it even be staged?

I feel really sorry for Sheffield's riders. Between now and the end of the season they have to race in at least nine (possibly eleven) fixtures: Three home league fixtures (in 9 days), two (possibly four) play-off matches, two cup-final matches with Kings Lynn and two pairs events (Sheffield and Belle Vue). That's almost as many as they've had in the previous five months! We'll still be racing at Christmas.

11 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

You would think so. The league campaign started at the beginning of May leaving 21 weeks to fit in 10 home meetings. Easy isn't it or is it?

I have been checking the Sheffield fixture list. Three Thursdays had been set aside to accommodate the Pairs and a similar number when they were riding away. This leaves five, three of which have been postponed and at least one of the remaining there was no opposition available. 

15 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

I feel really sorry for Sheffield's riders. Between now and the end of the season they have to race in at least nine (possibly eleven) fixtures: Three home league fixtures (in 9 days), two (possibly four) play-off matches, two cup-final matches with Kings Lynn and two pairs events (Sheffield and Belle Vue). That's almost as many as they've had in the previous five months! We'll still be racing at Christmas.

Lightweights.

Is that all, a pathetic 11 meetings in 6 weeks.

In 1992 Reading Racers rode 16 matches in 24 days (5-28 Oct)